This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a pc is alot like building a car.

#31OreoBoy206Posted 7/23/2014 11:32:26 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Monkeymage posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Monkeymage posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Pretty much everywhere it is illegal to drive on public roads your own car built from parts.
But you can build a computer and use it on the public roads (internet) legally.

Uhh, where are you getting that information from? You can register a custom-built car in pretty much every state, but there's more paperwork to do.

How did you get serial numbers? safety checks? certifications? licenses?
Hell in many places you can't even alter your suspension on an existing car.
What did the insurance company say when you said you built your own car out of spare parts?

1) You don't need serial numbers. Serial numbers are for manufacturers.
2) Safety checks / certification are done by state patrol or the DMV. They have to be scheduled.
3) Once it's been certified as roadworthy you can register it
4) Get the car appraised and get stated value insurance

I see, well I've never been a place that let you register and insure a car that didn't have a serial number.
Usually a car that doesn't have a serial number is stolen.
Are you in Albania? I hear they have a tradition of filing off serial numbers to save weight.

Do you mean a VIN number? If so, then a VIN number will be assigned to you by the State Patrol if your custom car does not have one already, at least in most US states..
#32SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:35:09 AM
OreoBoy206 posted...

Do you mean a VIN number? If so, then a VIN number will be assigned to you by the State Patrol if your custom car does not have one already, at least in most US states..

I might be confusing my terms but isn't that open to abuse?
Then you can just steal a car, call it a custom build, and get a new number.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33OreoBoy206Posted 7/23/2014 11:37:17 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...

You have to bring along all bills of sale for every major component part you used to build the vehicle, as these will be reviewed.
#34GoldninjaPosted 7/23/2014 11:39:34 AM(edited)
If you couldn't actually drive the cars legally, there would be far fewer people building the things.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#35SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:43:49 AM(edited)
OreoBoy206 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...

You have to bring along all bills of sale for every major component part you used to build the vehicle, as these will be reviewed.

How do they review it?
Technically a bill of sale can be a simple hand written note with a signature.

And where do the rules come in? Can I register my asphalt racing sled as a road vehicle? It has head lights and tail lights, sure it does a quarter mile in 9 seconds and can barely turn but that's not an issue right?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:39:58 AM
Goldninja posted...
If you couldn't actually drive the cars, there would be far fewer people building the things.

Oh that's not true lol.
Part of it is cops ignoring it, part of it is hobbies and show cars.
---
#37OreoBoy206Posted 7/23/2014 11:50:43 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...

How do they review it?
Technically a bill of sale can be a simple hand written note with a signature.

Not sure how they actually perform the review since I have never created a custom vehicle my self. That's just what they require according to the DMV in my state.
#38MaxCHEATER64Posted 7/23/2014 11:53:34 AM
You wouldn't download a PC!
---
https://i.imgur.com/6sZC0hY.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#39Pepys MonsterPosted 7/23/2014 12:00:50 PM
I know a guy who builds and fixes up/upgrades cars as a hobby. You guys are acting like it's IMPOSSIBLE.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
#40KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 12:02:48 PM
pothocket posted...
What is the PC equivalent of putting a whistle in your tail-pipe to make it sound like you got a better engine than you really do? (yes, people really do this to their cars)

LEDs and racing stripes, man. LEDs and racing stripes.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23