This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it true that windows 8 cant play older directdraw games?

#1JigSawXPosted 7/22/2014 8:01:58 PM
I heard they wont work.
#2daveyman23Posted 7/22/2014 8:18:03 PM
there are ways around anything
#3PaukenPosted 7/23/2014 6:46:44 AM
daveyman23 posted...
there are ways around anything

Still not worth the trouble considering Windows 7 runs the same games with less issues that require workarounds.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 6:57:12 AM
I thought in 7 you just had to install directX9 to get that function.
I imagine windows 8 has the same solution.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/23/2014 7:19:21 AM
Well windows 7 support is stopping next year in January I think.

And yeah I was playing some diablo 2 on Win 8.1 had no issues.

And theres work arounds for basically everything nowadays. Google will find it.
#6RhapsoKnightPosted 7/23/2014 8:38:21 AM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
Well windows 7 support is stopping next year in January I think.

And yeah I was playing some diablo 2 on Win 8.1 had no issues.

And theres work arounds for basically everything nowadays. Google will find it.

That is only mainstream support. Microsoft labels mainstream support as adding new features and non-critical patches. Security patches are still gonna be released until 2020.

Here if you want more info.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

On topic: Both Diablos and Starcraft worked fine when I tried them. In fact, you used to have to do a work around on W7 to get them to display properly (colors were all screwed up) while they just worked without any issue on W8.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 8:44:57 AM(edited)
Also, I whipped up a quick directdraw program and it fails to run in windows 7, but fine in XP (I don't have 8 presently)
So directdraw was dead in 7.

-Edit, nevermind, its only because dx7vb is missing in windows 7.
http://imgur.com/WuW65av
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8ElDudorinoPosted 7/23/2014 12:41:32 PM
Ugh, stupid color issues in Windows 7. I still have batch files in my directories for a few games to kill Explorer and then restart it after I finished the game so that I could play with normal colors. Strangely, it seems like some people could fix it just by leaving their resolution settings window open or by selecting 16-bit color but those fixes didn't work for me.

There's some stuff that Windows 8 doesn't want to support by default but I think you can work around any compatibility issue. I haven't found any DirectDraw games not to work in Windows 8 so far.