This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA profits surge 51%

#31JohnMafiaPosted 7/23/2014 8:56:19 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Garage_Man posted...
I don't get all the EA hate...I mean their practices are stupid but their games are generally solid. Now someone who deserves hate is Ubisoft...they couldn't make a good game if their lives depended on it.

* The vast majority of EA games are rehash - often with hardly any changes to the preceding game. They just slap a new number on it every year and call it good.

* EA is responsible for the deaths of more good studios than any other company. They habitually buy out studios with great games, those studios then make much lesser games under EA's thumb, and EA then takes them out back and does them in. Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin...

* They have publicly made horrible business decisions, such as "we're no longer going to do single-player games at all... everything will be multiplayer" as an excuse to force games like SimCity to be always online. Thankfully, in that case at least, there was enough outcry and pressure to make them include an offline mode later. Maxis took the blame for the forced online, and claimed it was too complex to make it work offline (we can see just how much BS that was), but knowing EA's history, I'd pretty much bet money EA gave them the "we only do multiplayer" bit, and Maxis went that direction for fear of being the next studio to top the mass grave in EA's back alley if they didn't follow EA's directives.

The bottom line is EA tends to ruin just about anything it gets its hands on, whether by not allowing studios the freedom to continue to make the great games that inspired their acquisition in the first place, or by just cranking out dozens of versions of the same game repeatedly. I enjoyed Crysis 1. The sequels... meh. I enjoyed the early Battlefield games, but now they've been done to death. I loved some of the earlier C&C games, and was OK with up through C&C3. Red Alert 3 started to slip a good bit for me tho, and C&C4 was just an outright disaster, not to mention the crap they were working on with Generals 2 - I mean "Command & Conquer" (what is it with them loving to revert to the title of the original game in a series? C&C, SimCity...). And on and on... Sims, various sports titles, Mass Effect series...

Eh, this is more a matter of your taste and your vision of what "real gaming" is more than reality. If EA was literally just making crap and couldn't make a good game if their lives depend on it, they wouldn't be successful. Sure, the stuff they make, the decisions they make may be completely opposite of what you want, but their success shows they have an audience. you wanna sit on your high horse and look down on the people supporting them as "casuals and people ruining gaming" whatever.

They aren't in the gaming business for you, they are in it for their bottom line. And for better or worse, as this report shows, they are doing fine.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#32foodeater4Posted 7/23/2014 9:15:05 AM
My walmarts have Pc games for years but generally a small selection. They have the big 3 blizzard games and recent expac being, Wow, D3 and SC2. They usually have the other current MMO, for a while it was Star Wars, then GW2, then ESO, now WS. They usually Sims and a few expacs. The last couple COD's, Battlefield 4, and maybe one or other 2 random games. Then they got a bunch of the cheapo $5 games that just come on a dvd.
#33KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 9:24:18 AM
Thing is, people *constantly* complain about these EA games, yet continue to buy them. SimCity has received almost nothing but criticism. I've seen loads of comics showing the game rehash release cycle in which:

1) EA releases another version of [insert game series rehash here]
2) People who have been anxious for something new gobble it up
3) When they load it up, they're disgusted that it's basically the same old thing, swearing they'll never get suckered like this again
4) They end up continuing to play it since that's what everyone else is playing now
5) They start to get anxious for something new
6) Goto 1

I'm far from the only person who has this issue with EA - or any of the other franchise rehash. I do agree that people should put their money where their mouth is and STOP buying all this crap. But you're right - EA is in it for the bottom line, and all the foolish little kids keep buying anything they dump out, so EA is going to just keep right on going with the status quo.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#34Bazooka_PenguinPosted 7/23/2014 9:25:15 AM
KillerTruffle posted...

* EA is responsible for the deaths of more good studios than any other company. They habitually buy out studios with great games, those studios then make much lesser games under EA's thumb, and EA then takes them out back and does them in. Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin...

How come people always fail to mention that after selling out the Westwood veteran developers bailed, leaving EA with a husk of the studio's former self?

As for any kind of recent history, even Carmack said EA wasn't an evil empire, and that everyone he talked to, including Valve, had nothing but praise for the company as a publisher.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#35SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 9:30:57 AM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

How come people always fail to mention that after selling out the Westwood veteran developers bailed, leaving EA with a husk of the studio's former self?

As for any kind of recent history, even Carmack said EA wasn't an evil empire, and that everyone he talked to, including Valve, had nothing but praise for the company as a publisher.

Maxis did the same. They lost nearly all their staff when they sold out.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 9:39:22 AM
With Westwood, loss of some staff is only part of the problem tho - the studio's failure is also attributed to EA's demands of it, forcing them to rush incomplete products to release, continuing the downward spiral.

And Maxis didn't see an exodus upon acquisition - EA dragged out the process and people just slowly left over time because nothing much was happening. Plus, Maxis isn't exactly "dead" - I mean, they did release a poor rehash of SimCity recently...
---
#37SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 9:45:08 AM
KillerTruffle posted...

And Maxis didn't see an exodus upon acquisition - EA dragged out the process and people just slowly left over time because nothing much was happening.

I see that here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxis#Acquisition_by_EA

But no citations. So I am not sure if I believe it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#38KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 9:48:29 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

And Maxis didn't see an exodus upon acquisition - EA dragged out the process and people just slowly left over time because nothing much was happening.

I see that here

It was easier to find that than to find any evidence that they "lost nearly all their staff when they sold out"...
---
#39SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 9:49:49 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I see that here

It was easier to find that than to find any evidence that they "lost nearly all their staff when they sold out"...

I got that info from the same wiki, it's been edited since.
---
#40KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 9:56:34 AM
Unless I'm reading wrong, it seems that the last edit on that page according to the revision history was on July 17? That was more than a week ago. Or did you actually see that a week or so ago?

Actually, looking back through the revision history, I cannot find any that said anything about Maxis losing nearly all their staff after EA acquisition. When/where exactly did you see that?
---