This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CEO Satya Nadella Just Made The Best (And Most Obvious) Decision For Microsoft!!

#11uncleePosted 7/23/2014 4:18:40 AM(edited)
AnatomyHorror posted...
majinbuu58 posted...
@post #3.. You really didn't understand what you just read.

And how did you understand it?

It sounds like to me, they want One Windows to rule them all. A version of windows that is the same on Tablets, Phones, and PC's. Obviously that means it'll have to have touch controls. Sounds like this'll be Windows 8 v2.0.

That's....not quite what they're saying. What Microsoft is trying to do is build the foundation of each platform the same. So when someone develops an application and puts it in the Windows store, Microsoft wants that application to work on desktops, laptops, phones and tablets.

This is probably more akin to what Google has done with Google Play Services recently: they've started moving stuff that used to rely on the Android version into Google Play Services (mostly core functions from Google). What this does is allow Google to fight the fragmentation that Android has suffered. For Android phones from the last few years, it doesn't matter what sits at the UI-level on the device (TouchWiz, Sense or whatever), Google can just push out updates to the Google Play Services to keep most devices up to date (at least, keep anything that relies on Google Play Services up to date).

That's probably what they mean: a unified backend with a UI to fit each device.

Or we could just continue to immediately say "DOOOOOM!" Whatever works for you.
#12r7gerrabbitPosted 7/23/2014 4:37:37 AM
I like the idea. As long as they keep it open.
The second I have to go through a curated app store I am done and will be moving away from Microsoft.
---
Sig.
#13Death_BornPosted 7/23/2014 4:45:14 AM(edited)
unclee posted...

That's....not quite what they're saying. What Microsoft is trying to do is build the foundation of each platform the same. So when someone develops an application and puts it in the Windows store, Microsoft wants that application to work on desktops, laptops, phones and tablets.

That would be all well and good, if anyone bought their tablets. They are trying to modify their one popular OS (desktops and laptops) to fit into their unpopular Surface and Windows Phone divisions and make it sell better. Unfortunately Microsoft simply can't compete with Apple and having any apps work on both desktops and phones is a bit of a ridiculous concept. There will be major usability issues if that is the case, as well as processing speed and power issues.

They are basically pumping money into an idea that is doomed to failure.. like when a major publisher tries to release an MMO that will still not be able to compete with WoW or another of the major games.
#14Master_BassPosted 7/23/2014 4:45:41 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
majinbuu58 posted...
@post #3.. You really didn't understand what you just read.

And how did you understand it?

It sounds like to me, they want One Windows to rule them all. A version of windows that is the same on Tablets, Phones, and PC's. Obviously that means it'll have to have touch controls. Sounds like this'll be Windows 8 v2.0.

From what I read, there's no reason that the UI couldn't be different depending on the device that you use. It's just that finally all apps will work on all Windows based devices. Who knows, though? Hopefully Microsoft did learn from their 8 debacle.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#15MonkeymagePosted 7/23/2014 4:47:08 AM
Does this mean that XBox One games would be compatible with the new version of Windows on a PC, or would MS lock out that functionality?
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#16r7gerrabbitPosted 7/23/2014 4:48:53 AM
Death_Born posted...
unclee posted...

That would be all well and good, if anyone bought their tablets. They are trying to modify their one popular OS (desktops and laptops) to fit into their unpopular Surface and Windows Phone divisions and make it sell better. Unfortunately Microsoft simply can't compete with Apple and having any apps work on both desktops and phones is a bit of a ridiculous concept. There will be major usability issues if that is the case, as well as processing speed and power issues.

They are basically pumping money into an idea that is doomed to failure.. like when a major publisher tries to release an MMO that will still not be able to compete with WoW or another of the major games.

Have you seen Google's new mantra with their design guidelines?
It's basically this idea but for Web. Your app should have the same look and feel across Web, tablet, and phone while running the same back end
---
Sig.
#17halomonkey1_3_5Posted 7/23/2014 4:57:45 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Does this mean that XBox One games would be compatible with the new version of Windows on a PC, or would MS lock out that functionality?

theoretically they(well, idk about XB1 specifically, but future Xbox consoles) could have some kind of compatibility, but I would be very surprised if they did without having an additional charge for the feature.

I'd think they were hoping for the reverse(windows apps to work on Xbox) tbqh. Since a $400 XB1 isnt too great of a games machine(in terms of hardware), but it would be far more appealing as (basically) a prebuilt PC that also plays Xbox games
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#18SilentHawk29Posted 7/23/2014 5:04:39 AM(edited)
The problem I see with wanting multiple GUIs is they're saying it will be one dev team behind all versions of Windows instead of a team for desktop, a team for mobile, and so on. This means that there will be multiple elements from the "mobile GUI" on the PC.

Also, do PC users really want the same version of things like Photoshop as what's on a phone?
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#19SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 5:18:09 AM
I wish they would just focus on features, options, stability and speed.
I don't need new GUI's to learn again and again. Why not fix the problem where a driver error causes your computer to restart automatically. That error has been around since windows NT. Even the 9x line gave you a faint hope that it might recover long enough to save your work. (The 9x bsod allowed you to restart with ctrl alt delete or press any key to try and continue normally, nt line always forced an automatic restart since on a server it would make sense to have the server restart itself rather than hang.)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#20Bellum_SacrumPosted 7/23/2014 5:31:36 AM
And that's how you kill the Xbox brand without people realizing. Xbox One is the last Xbox.

Makes sense, as Sony is going the same way with PS Now.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."