This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my BSOD in gaming related to my CPU OC?

#1mkil5Posted 7/23/2014 6:02:20 AM
I have been playing Far Cry 3 lately. I am running the MSI Afterburner to monitor my CPU and GPU.

I have a Pentium G3258 clocked at 4.6ghz 1.39V and a MSI 280x (stock speed).

When I first clocked my G3258 I ran it in OCCT for about 45 minutes and it was fine. However I didn't realize how much FC3 uses the CPU. For usage, according to MSI Afterburner, CPU1 is usually around 70% while CPU2 is 95% or higher, and the GPU is less than 70%.

All temps stay below 70 degrees.

I got my first BSOD after about a 30 minute gaming session, I bumped the cpu voltage to 1.395. I played for a few hours and it was fine. I started again the next night and got another BSOD. Went down from 4.6ghz to 4.5ghz while staying at 1.395V.

I really want the CPU 100% stable before I OC the GPU.

I am just wandering if there is a way to find out if the CPU is the real culprit here, especially while I can get a refund for the GPU for another week.
#2Master_BassPosted 7/23/2014 6:22:25 AM(edited)
mkil5 posted...
I am just wandering if there is a way to find out if the CPU is the real culprit here, especially while I can get a refund for the GPU for another week.

If you're worried about a bad GPU, then the easiest way to test this is to put your CPU back to stock for a bit and just game. That would most likely rule out your OC at least if you still crash.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#3mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 7:36:17 AM
Because it can take a long time to BSOD. I thought it was gone with the extra voltage. I put probably 5 hours into the game after the increase to the next BSOD.
#4PhilOnDezPosted 7/23/2014 8:21:03 AM(edited)
Instability can be really fickle. Some people here have claimed to pass 24 hour stability tests and then have it bluescreen in a game the next day and I really can't think of a reason to not believe them.

E: On OCCT, that's what I used as well. However, prior to being stable, I always let it run until either A it caught an error or bluescreened, or B finished an hour. The second to last time I ran a one hour test it started catching errors at the 50 minute mark. Once it passed the full one hour test I let it run for 6 hours.

This was coming up on a year ago and I haven't had a bluescreen since.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5KainstryderPosted 7/23/2014 8:18:05 AM
Yes, your BSOD in gaming is related to your cpu overclocking. (Happened to me a few times, set it back to default, and everything is stable). OR. Your PSU is failing you. Which also happened to me when the BSOD was still frequent even after everything is defaulted.