This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Steam Machine-esque devices should replace all consoles?

#1dunkisPosted 7/23/2014 8:04:26 AM
I know it's mostly a vocal minority, but there are still a good handful of people that want Nintendo to go software only. So then my question then was, well, if you're going to make the only company that really cares about innovating to the point they take risks (albeit, stupidly sometimes) and make them go software only just because they use lesser hardware and have inferior online capabilities, then why even bother having any consoles? Essentially, people just want media center PCs, so why have proprietary hardware? Let's just make everything PC based, unite 3rd parties under one platform, have access to all the 1st/2nd parties games, and be able to play with any other video gamer. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo could then just focus on making their own Steam Machines designed on being cheap and easy to set up in the living room. Developers could still focus on using these base machines to optimize performance but otherwise they should run on any machine.

But does that sound good to you? Or are there some merits to consoles that simply can't be replaced? Let's try to be civilized, mkay?
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#2ThisGuy101Posted 7/23/2014 8:33:52 AM
Steam machines are just prebuilt gaming PCs, meaning you're paying for the name brand, not the components. You're getting ripped off if you don't build it, and I don't expect that to change. At least with consoles you're actually getting your money's worth with the components.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#3DawnshadowPosted 7/23/2014 10:39:09 AM
The thing is, ANYONE can make a Steam Machine. Anyone. Get it from the right place and you're just paying a little extra for the assembly and testing. You don't have to choose between Dell, HP, and Lenovo.

The thing is, what benefit is there to any of the big console companies to swap to making PCs? They don't get a cut of the store sales, they lose the licensing fees to develop for their console, and two of the big three are based in Japan, where PC gaming is a very, VERY niche hobby-- most people there use cell phones for their everyday internet access and the like. Microsoft would probably prefer to make a Windows-based gaming machine with an Xbox-esque UI before they made a Steam machine that ran on Linux. (I actually think that could be a very good way for them to go with their next Xbox or with a different line of Xboxen-- compatible with tens of thousands of existing Windows games, but with the footprint and ease of use of a console to keep from scaring away the PC-phobes out there.)

People buy Playstations because they're perceived as being easier to use than a PC (yes, I know that PCs have gotten easier and consoles have become harder over the years) and they want the exclusive games. Without exclusives, why would anyone buy a Sony-brand Steam PC?
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#4BIastPosted 7/23/2014 10:47:14 AM
All I really want from steam machines is to gain enough traction to convince most devs to make games with opengl rather than use directX and make games primarily for Windows/PS4/Linux/Mac rather than Windows/Xbone.

DirectX shouldn't be the primary graphics library.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#5ThisGuy101Posted 7/23/2014 4:00:26 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
The thing is, ANYONE can make a Steam Machine. Anyone. Get it from the right place and you're just paying a little extra for the assembly and testing. You don't have to choose between Dell, HP, and Lenovo.

The thing is, what benefit is there to any of the big console companies to swap to making PCs? They don't get a cut of the store sales, they lose the licensing fees to develop for their console, and two of the big three are based in Japan, where PC gaming is a very, VERY niche hobby-- most people there use cell phones for their everyday internet access and the like. Microsoft would probably prefer to make a Windows-based gaming machine with an Xbox-esque UI before they made a Steam machine that ran on Linux. (I actually think that could be a very good way for them to go with their next Xbox or with a different line of Xboxen-- compatible with tens of thousands of existing Windows games, but with the footprint and ease of use of a console to keep from scaring away the PC-phobes out there.)

People buy Playstations because they're perceived as being easier to use than a PC (yes, I know that PCs have gotten easier and consoles have become harder over the years) and they want the exclusive games. Without exclusives, why would anyone buy a Sony-brand Steam PC?

I wasn't saying that the big console makers should make steam machines. I was saying that Steam is trying to break into the console market with them, and it won't work. The computer developers will overcharge for them. With the consoles, you're at least paying about as much (actually, a little bit less) as you would were you to buy the individual components in the consoles.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#6ClouddxPosted 7/23/2014 4:06:12 PM
ThisGuy101 posted...
Dawnshadow posted...

I wasn't saying that the big console makers should make steam machines. I was saying that Steam is trying to break into the console market with them, and it won't work. The computer developers will overcharge for them. With the consoles, you're at least paying about as much (actually, a little bit less) as you would were you to buy the individual components in the consoles.

They've already released a pricing scheme and they are in no way overcharging for them.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#7ThisGuy101Posted 7/23/2014 7:14:46 PM
Clouddx posted...
ThisGuy101 posted...
Dawnshadow posted...

They've already released a pricing scheme and they are in no way overcharging for them.

Really now?

Alienware is making a Steam Machine.

That's all I need to know that they'll be overpriced.

Your argument is invalid.
---
My first gaming rig
#8ChromaticAngelPosted 7/23/2014 7:32:05 PM
ThisGuy101 posted...
Really now?

The Alienware Steam Machine doesn't have a price tag yet, and when it does, I expect it will be comparable to other Alienware machines, maybe even cheaper since they don't have to also sell you an OEM windows.

There are $400 Steam Machines out there that run cards on par with the 7770.
---
RPG Spotlight: Avadon: The Black Fortress http://www.gog.com/game/avadon_the_black_fortress
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/VF4bj8F6
#9ThisGuy101Posted 7/23/2014 10:07:28 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
ThisGuy101 posted...
Really now?

The Alienware Steam Machine doesn't have a price tag yet, and when it does, I expect it will be comparable to other Alienware machines, maybe even cheaper since they don't have to also sell you an OEM windows.

There are $400 Steam Machines out there that run cards on par with the 7770.

"Comparable to other Alienwares."

There isn't a single Alienware that isn't $300-$400 overpriced.
---
My first gaming rig
#10LvthnPosted 7/23/2014 10:14:53 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
two of the big three are based in Japan, where PC gaming is a very, VERY niche hobby-- most people there use cell phones for their everyday internet access and the like.

To be fair, the console market is also irrelevant in Japan. Seems all they want is handhelds.

Inversely, the Japanese market is increasingly irrelevant unless you're making 3DS games. According to lolvgchartz, for all that's worth, the latest week of data has Vita, yes, the Vita, outselling everything but 3DS COMBINED, and 3DS in turn outsold everything else combined, including Vita. Vita sold 4x what PS4 did.