This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gonna get a PC first time in some years, some tips on games i may not know?

#1AE_Posted 7/23/2014 8:21:11 AM(edited)
So i'm about to get a desktop. Due to work ive used macs exclusivelly for a good couple of years.

Anyway, as i said i'm about to get a desktop, and i'm a bit clueless about what the good pc games are and wanted some recomendations.

I pretty much play League of Legends and some Hearthstone on my mac, so i am looking forward to trying some Dota2 (doesn't run very well on my computer), and the new blizzard moba.

I really enjoy action RPGs, especially 2D ones - and 2D games in general. (Dragon's crown kind of game, that one looks awesome).

Also, my favourite game this (last) generation of consoles is Dark Souls. Ive beaten the first one on xbox multiple times, including SL1 runs, and also beat Dark Soul 2 also on console, so probably won't be picking that one up.

Also a HUGE fan of metroidvania games, from SoTN on psx to all the DS ones. (Not that lords of shadow franchise though).

Anyway, these are my games preferences, anything i would enjoy?

I already have Divinity and Shovel Knight on my list.

thank you
---
3DS FC: 4957-2586-5832
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 7/23/2014 8:22:32 AM
I don't care whether you like First Person Shooters or not, you have to play TF2 if you haven't already.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#3SonyHoundDawgPosted 7/23/2014 8:23:48 AM
Whats your budget going to be? You need a screen? I will assume you need OS.

For about $1000 you can get a great computer, something with a gtx 770 and i5 4670K (or maybe the new revision of tha cpu)

If you wanna go cheaper, scale back the cpu and get a gtx 750ti for the video.

For the games you have listed that would probably be more then enough.

I guess it depends if you might ever delve into a more demanding game and want it to work well or you'd be happy with settings lower.
#4AE_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:30:51 AM
Team fortress 2? i have played that on xbox360 i think. I thought that game was pretty dead. I actually do not like them that much (may be due to only playing console for a while, and controller is not optimal).

SonyHoundDawg. Thank you for reply (not sure if you are replyign to wrong thread lol), I am spending around 1k$ sans Monitor (well, euros). I already have a setup. I an not getting the greatest graphics card (GTX750TI). I may upgrade the graphics card more sooner than later, but atm i really don't want to spend more, and at the end of the day, this PC will be mostly for work, and i do Motion Graphicsm 2D and 3D, where Graphics card isn't very important as processor and ram.

I have played alot of consoles and i really like retro gaming, so its safe to say that i am not really a max-settings/fps freak ;) And most of the games i really enjoy aren't the most demanding anyway. I may look to try out some watchdogs, and i am counting i can get it to run decently on the setup i'm going to.

I forgot to mention, i already have Dust: an Elysian Tale. (that could be a suggestion).
---
#5Xantose161Posted 7/23/2014 8:37:14 AM
Since your a fan of metroidvania type games, I would definitely say check out Valdis Story and Dust: An Elysian Tail. They are probably my favorite most recent metroidvania type games for the pc. Another decent, but short metroidvania type game that I enjoyed was the new Strider. I would also greatly recommend Bastion and Transistor and possibly terraria (although not sure if terraria fits what your looking for).
---
I7 2600K 4.2GHz | GTX 770 2GB SC | Asus Sabertooth P67 | DDR3 1600 2x4GB | Intel 120GB & 240GB SSD | CM Silent Pro 850W | 120MM Liquid Cooler | CM HAF 922
#6AE_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:44:30 AM
Xantose161 posted...

Thank you. I just checked Valdis Story and it looks awesome, gonna try that one out for sure. Transistor seems to have a cool artstyle, not sure about the sci fi setting (not my cup of tea), but i might try that one out cause it does look pretty cool.

I posted later that i have, indeed beat Dust, and i really loved it. Also got bastion on xbox, oddly enough, its a game that never really grabbed me that much. I got terraria too, but got a bit bored with it. I think PC version has a bit more features, i may give it another shot.
---
#7AsellusPosted 7/23/2014 9:05:48 AM
AE_ posted...
Team fortress 2? i have played that on xbox360 i think. I thought that game was pretty dead. I actually do not like them that much (may be due to only playing console for a while, and controller is not optimal).

The pc version's a completely different beast, it might as well be a different game by now. It's also about the second most played fps out there after Counter-Strike so no shortage of players either.

As for Metroidvanias, take a look at La-Mulana.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 9:09:36 AM
Though you didn't mention sandbox games.
Might as well try mount & blade warband as it has a free demo.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9AE_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 9:21:51 AM
Nice, i remember reading about La Mulana a while back, had forgotten about it. That mount & blade looks intriguing, i saw a couple of gameplay, haven't figured out exactly what it is about. Just found out it was released on mac just recently, gonna check if there is a demo for osx too.
---
#10MahoganyTooth92Posted 7/23/2014 9:22:38 AM
TF2 is dead on Consoles because it never got updated. It's one of the most popular PC games today and it's still receiving updates. And what's more, the game is free!
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8