This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC doesn't want to wake up from sleep mode....

#1JJkulPosted 7/23/2014 7:50:22 AM
Windows XP SP3
2 GB RAM

Paging File Size: 3988MB Initial, 7976MB Maximum.

When the PC's in standby and I press the power button to get it back on, the fan starts running and it starts making noise, but it doesn't do anything else. No signal is given to the monitor, the mouse doesn't even turn on IIRC, and it sure as heck doesn't go back to normal.

Any help, please and thanks?
---
Gameplay matters, not graphics
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=jjkul
#2Dragonspawn1319Posted 7/23/2014 8:03:45 AM
Does it do the same thing when you wake it up by hitting the keyboard? Also, how old is this machine? It could just be old, worn out hardware showing it's age.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 8:05:40 AM
Also the motherboard may not support sleep, the power supply may not support sleep, and XP barely supported sleep.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4LOLIAmAnAltPosted 7/23/2014 8:07:02 AM
Do you have an SSD?
My SSD had this issue, I wound up having to manually disable all forms of sleep mode because of this.
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#5JJkul(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:50:34 AM(edited)
It doesn't wake up when I hit the keyboard. It's probably a good 5+ years old. It's a custom we got from my cousin's husband.

I do not have an SSD.

I didn't know there were motherboards or PSUs that didn't support sleep. I guess it's probably the MOBO that doesn't support sleep, since it powers on somewhat.

Thanks for the replies, all.
---
#6KidInTheHallPosted 7/23/2014 8:52:43 AM
I remember when my grandma didn't want to take up from sleep mode.

RIP Grandma
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750 | MS-DOS 6
#7SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 9:21:08 AM
JJkul posted...
It doesn't wake up when I hit the keyboard. It's probably a good 5+ years old. It's a custom we got from my cousin's husband.

I do not have an SSD.

I didn't know there were motherboards or PSUs that didn't support sleep. I guess it's probably the MOBO that doesn't support sleep, since it powers on somewhat.

Did it ever work?
Normally I'd say it's the power supply not functioning correctly and ignoring the command to wake up.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8JJkul(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:27:26 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
JJkul posted...

I do not have an SSD.

Did it ever work?
Normally I'd say it's the power supply not functioning correctly and ignoring the command to wake up.

I haven't tried anything since I made my last reply, maybe I can look into it more and find something out in the future. Thanks ^.^b
---