This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?
1 year ago#1
topic.

i really wish i didn't have to use windows to play games.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
1 year ago#2
It's entirely possible.
Android is Linux, and iOS is BSD (which is kind of like Linux)
PS4 is also BSD, same with PS3.

If devs would drop the directX addiction we would be all set.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#3
maybe when the mass of steam machines start rolling out.
---
Im opposite of a care bear
1 year ago#4
SinisterSlay posted...
If devs would drop the directX addiction we would be all set.

YES. I'm gonna port Half Life 3 to my opengl toilet in 30 years.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
1 year ago#5
The problem with Linux gaming is "Linux" isn't an OS. That said there will almost certainly be more migration over to Linux based stacks as time goes on. Especially now that the kings of procrastination have taken it up as their life raft to survive Windows.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
1 year ago#6
Once Steam machines are publicly released I would expect it to get more support, but I cant see it getting widespread support unless MS really f***s up Windows. Just making unpopular UIs wont be enough, I'm talking full on "walled garden" BS.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
1 year ago#7
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Once Steam machines are publicly released I would expect it to get more support, but I cant see it getting widespread support unless MS really f***s up Windows. Just making unpopular UIs wont be enough, I'm talking full on "walled garden" BS.

Well the requiring a windows live account to use your system could be an issue for everyone that doesn't have internet access.
Forcing the cloud on everyone is really hurting microsoft.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#8
Never. Anything Steam Machines can do, a Windows-based gaming PC can do better. Why would anyone deliberately restrict themselves to a bunch of indie games?
---
Hello
1 year ago#9
Fenriswolf posted...
Never. Anything Steam Machines can do, a Windows-based gaming PC can do better. Why would anyone deliberately restrict themselves to a bunch of indie games?

So the NSA doesn't know what you had for breakfast?
---
1 year ago#10
No.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived