This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

#21AlexKidd5000Posted 7/23/2014 11:07:05 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Linux is very much a viable gaming platform.

Until you want to play a game that doesn't work via WINE. Then... not so much.

I haven't even used WINE to play games.
#22SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:07:35 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

crossover is cheating :D
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23AlexKidd5000Posted 7/23/2014 11:12:25 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

Nope, not crossover either :)
#24Worknofun370Posted 7/23/2014 11:18:10 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...

So... you're just running native games? Or just pointing out something that's meaningless to the point I made?
---
hasa diga eebowai
#25AlexKidd5000Posted 7/23/2014 11:19:38 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

So... you're just running native games? Or just pointing out something that's meaningless to the point I made?

Only playing native games.
#26MarikhenPosted 7/23/2014 11:20:17 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
Never. Anything Steam Machines can do, a Windows-based gaming PC can do better. Why would anyone deliberately restrict themselves to a bunch of indie games?

Can a Windows-based gaming PC do system security better than a Steam Machine? :-D

I jest, sort of. In all seriousness, however, there are tests out there where games running natively under Linux using OpenGL on systems with AMD CPUs and GPUs out-performed the exact same game running under Windows using either OpenGL or DirectX. Furthermore the game even had higher performance numbers under AMD/AMD/Linux/OGL than the Intel/nVidia/Windows/DX.

The results were, of course, fairly atypical, but they do prove that insofar as gaming is concerned not everything a PC using Linux can do a Windows PC can do better.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#27Worknofun370Posted 7/23/2014 11:20:52 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Only playing native games.

So it's a viable gaming platform if you want to play a very small selection of games. Strong argument.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#28DawnshadowPosted 7/23/2014 11:22:42 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
It's a chicken and egg thing....

Ironically AAA devs have been helping linux adoption, because AAA games are garbage and few of us care anymore. The good games are going to Linux.

That's true, but AAAs are what sell systems.... Practically no one buys a PC just to play Terraria or FTL, but how many Wii Us will the next Smash Brothers game sell?

AAA's selling systems is only valid on consoles. The concept doesn't work for PC.
My parents didn't buy a PC because Civilization 5 was released, they bought it to browse the internet and create emails and word documents and do other productivity things.
And I didn't build a PC because Civ5 was exclusive, that's just a nice bonus.

Gaming PCs and work PCs aren't quite the same market, though (although work PCs can act as a gateway to PC gaming, because the main difference is the video card.) There is some crossover, but people do buy or build gaming PCs for the purpose of PC gaming.

You are right in that PC doesn't have much in the way of flagship system sellers, though. Most of the PC-exclusive AAAs are games that would never WORK on a console, or else they get ported-- they're made for and marketed to people who already play on PC, not to people who might buy in.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#29SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:24:44 AM
Dawnshadow posted...

Gaming PCs and work PCs aren't quite the same market, though (although work PCs can act as a gateway to PC gaming, because the main difference is the video card.) There is some crossover, but people do buy or build gaming PCs for the purpose of PC gaming.

You are right in that PC doesn't have much in the way of flagship system sellers, though. Most of the PC-exclusive AAAs are games that would never WORK on a console, or else they get ported-- they're made for and marketed to people who already play on PC, not to people who might buy in.

And PC doesn't need system sellers. An awesome game from 15 years ago is still an awesome game and can still be played.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 11:26:55 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...

Nope, not crossover either :)

Have you ever tried crossover? how well does it work?
I've found wine difficult, and playonlinux is total garbage. I've installed playonlinux just to get a pre-configured wine then never use it. Only Wine.
---