This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

#31PaperDiddyKongPosted 7/23/2014 10:30:47 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Only playing native games.

So it's a viable gaming platform if you want to play a very small selection of games. Strong argument.

Considering the correct definition of the word "viable," I think native Linux gaming is "viable." Compared to a year and a half ago where Steam had 0 Linux games, I think the current amount of games it has (600) make it a viable growing gaming platform.

I don't count wine gaming as Linux gaming either, unless a game was winewrapped and optimized for Linux (like System Shock 2)
#32Worknofun370Posted 7/23/2014 10:31:13 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I've found wine difficult, and playonlinux is total garbage. I've installed playonlinux just to get a pre-configured wine then never use it. Only Wine.

I've had really solid success with playonlinux honestly. There were a few times where I just went with the system install of wine, but for the most part the majority of the games I tried to play via playonlinux worked well.

The things that wouldn't run in that I feel back to the local install of wine to see if I could get it working in there. A huge chunk I could, but others that I really wanted to play just wouldn't run.

I haven't messed with/used Crossover in a really long time (probably 8+ years?) so can't comment on that one.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#33SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 10:36:44 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I've found wine difficult, and playonlinux is total garbage. I've installed playonlinux just to get a pre-configured wine then never use it. Only Wine.

I've had really solid success with playonlinux honestly. There were a few times where I just went with the system install of wine, but for the most part the majority of the games I tried to play via playonlinux worked well.

The things that wouldn't run in that I feel back to the local install of wine to see if I could get it working in there. A huge chunk I could, but others that I really wanted to play just wouldn't run.

I haven't messed with/used Crossover in a really long time (probably 8+ years?) so can't comment on that one.

I'm not sure what it is but playonlinux never installs correctly. (tried mostly on ubuntu varients)
Search for game... error, files missing
help... error help missing
install game... error no game
everything about it errors.
But the wine it creates usually works good, so I install playonlinux, then ignore it and use wine directly.

-edit
I haven't tried again though in roughly 1.5 years.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#34godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 10:38:36 AM
There also needs to be a Linux distro where you never ever have to see the command line
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#35SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 10:41:22 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
There also needs to be a Linux distro where you never ever have to see the command line

Many don't anymore, unless something breaks, then you are stuck with command line.
Usually only if your video drivers or your x session breaks.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#36Worknofun370Posted 7/23/2014 10:46:07 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
I'm not sure what it is but playonlinux never installs correctly. (tried mostly on ubuntu varients)
But the wine it creates usually works good, so I install playonlinux, then ignore it and use wine directly.

Weird, it may just suck and I got lucky haha. I was running my stuff on Arch though, maybe it's just a bit better on there. Or it sucks and I got lucky.

EDIT: Last time I used it was about 6-8 months ago as well.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#37SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 10:50:32 AM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Weird, it may just suck and I got lucky haha. I was running my stuff on Arch though, maybe it's just a bit better on there. Or it sucks and I got lucky.

At least wine works well, until it doesn't lol.
Wine does seem to create havoc with the x session randomly.
I have had red alert 1 win95 edition randomly crash on load, or load the video, or play half through then crash, or work fine. And close the game to have the system forget my resolution and refresh rates requiring a reboot to get those back, or have the screen stuck black with an image of the game on it with only 3d stuff like the app switcher showing up.
It's really odd.
But after playing the high res win95 version I can't go back to the dos version :(.
I am curious as to why it seems to random. Does WINE have a random number generator in it to cause random problems on red alert 1?

EDIT: Last time I used it was about 6-8 months ago as well.

Perhaps it's been fixed since I last used it.
---
#38PraetorXynPosted 7/23/2014 10:49:55 AM
godplaysSNES posted...

Pretty much anything Ubuntu this is the case, though why you would want to neuter yourself like that I have no idea. You may as well use Windows if you restrict yourself from using the Linux command line from time to time.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#39SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 10:50:59 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Pretty much anything Ubuntu this is the case, though why you would want to neuter yourself like that I have no idea. You may as well use Windows if you restrict yourself from using the Linux command line from time to time.

Thanks to windows 8 I use the command line more than the GUI :D
---
#40Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 10:51:42 AM
People need to get over this idiotic phobia of text. There's nothing ****ing hard about entering a command, often verbatim, into a CLI.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.