This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

#41PraetorXynPosted 7/23/2014 11:55:14 AM
Orestes417 posted...
People need to get over this idiotic phobia of text. There's nothing ****ing hard about entering a command, often verbatim, into a CLI.

It's usually a hell of a lot faster than the GUI alternative as well.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#42Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 11:55:37 AM
and about a thousand times less ambiguous.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#43godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 1:01:24 PM(edited)
PraetorXyn posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
There also needs to be a Linux distro where you never ever have to see the command line

Pretty much anything Ubuntu this is the case, though why you would want to neuter yourself like that I have no idea. You may as well use Windows if you restrict yourself from using the Linux command line from time to time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being able to use the command line. But being required to use it from time to time is a steep learning curve if you're new to Linux.

PraetorXyn posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
There also needs to be a Linux distro where you never ever have to see the command line

Pretty much anything Ubuntu this is the case, though why you would want to neuter yourself like that I have no idea. You may as well use Windows if you restrict yourself from using the Linux command line from time to time.

Orestes417 posted...
People need to get over this idiotic phobia of text. There's nothing ****ing hard about entering a command, often verbatim, into a CLI.

You're thinking too much as a typical Linux elitist.
Using the terminal is a steep learning curve for anyone not used to Linux.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#44SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 1:02:41 PM
godplaysSNES posted...

Your being too phobic.

Now, I will admit that when someone posts a command line on a forum, they don't usually tell you what to do with it, and that can be scary.

But really, your just opening the run command, and copy and pasting a command. Just like you do in windows.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#45greywolf00Posted 7/23/2014 1:11:18 PM
Eventually. As others have said, with Steam backing the OS I expect to see more support for the system. Also, as more casual users are introduced to it I expect the user base will grow, especially if Microsoft keeps alienating costumers.
#46Digital StormPosted 7/23/2014 1:13:33 PM(edited)
I certainly wouldn't advocate the blind copy and pasting of commands into a terminal as a new user or else you run into situations where someone suggests to type in ":(){ :|: & };:" and then they wonder why their system lagged and crashed out. There needs to be a learning process attached with the copy and pasting and that's where many new users fail, they don't want to learn, they just want it to work.

And before anyone goes and types that in and hits enter, it's going to crash your machine if it isn't properly configured to stop it. So don't do it.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#47SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 1:14:27 PM
Digital Storm posted...
I certainly wouldn't advocate the blind copy and pasting of commands into a terminal as a new user or else you run into situations where someone suggests to type in ":(){ :|: & };:" and then they wonder why their system lagged and crashed out. There needs to be a learning process attached with the copy and pasting and that's where many new users fail, they don't want to learn, they just want it to work.

And before anyone goes and types that in and hits enter, it's going to crash your machine if it isn't properly configured to stop it. So don't do it.

I have no idea what that command does, I may try it :D
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#48Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 1:16:32 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I'd say the exact same thing if I'd never touched a *nix based OS in my life. Comprehending simple English sentences and typing a few basic commands is NOT a steep learning curve. A ****ing 5 year old could do it and think nothing of it while they're doing it.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#49Digital StormPosted 7/23/2014 1:18:19 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Digital Storm posted...

I have no idea what that command does, I may try it :D

Roughly thirteen years ago I coaxed my Intro to Linux professor into running it on the university machines which, at the time, weren't set up properly. Of course the result was a hardlock but it spawned into an assignment for the class to figure out what it was doing, the how and the why and how to prevent it.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#50godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 1:20:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Orestes417 posted...

I'd say the exact same thing if I'd never touched a *nix based OS in my life. Comprehending simple English sentences and typing a few basic commands is NOT a steep learning curve. A ****ing 5 year old could do it and think nothing of it while they're doing it.

It is for anyone that has used Windows since Windows 95. And since the vast majority of "normal" users are used to Windows only on their PCs, using Linux is indeed a steep learning curve for the vast majority of users.

Linux elitists may love the possibilities you have compared to Windows. But many users don't care about such things, they just want it all to simply work.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!