This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

#61halomonkey1_3_5Posted 7/23/2014 1:18:59 PM
there is a reason we moved to GUIs
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#62Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 1:25:29 PM(edited)
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...

Yeah. Because some things work better with them. Now why don't you go rename all the files in a folder with your gui while I write a one liner and tell me how it goes.

Better yet, why don't you go try and explain how to set up something over the phone to a user who doesn't know the proper names for things and isn't particularly good at relaying what they see while I tell a similar person what to do step by step by typing commands into a prompt. Even if I have to slow down and read letter for letter I'm willing to bet you I have more hair by the end of the conversation.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#63Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 1:24:21 PM
Orestes417 posted...

Yeah. Because some things work better with them. Now why don't you go rename all the files in a folder with your gui while I write a one liner and tell me how it goes.

And the average computer user who isn't comfortable with command prompt, which is what prompted this argument, is going to need to do that.... when?
#64SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 1:24:26 PM
Orestes417 posted...

I think that works now in vista, 7 and 8. You can mass rename. It just adds a number to each file.
But you can't easily conditionally select like you can from DOS.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#65SinisterSlayPosted 7/23/2014 1:25:13 PM
Edavy89 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

And the average computer user who isn't comfortable with command prompt, which is what prompted this argument, is going to need to do that.... when?

Rename all their photos to have the date in the name. No matter what folder they are in, even 200 folders deep into their my pictures folder.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#66Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 1:28:07 PM(edited)
The user doesn't have to be comfortable with the command prompt. They just have to type what the tutorial tells them. Nevermind that I was using it as an example of jobs you'd have to be an idiot to consider the GUI to be better than a CLI for.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#67Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 1:27:57 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Rename all their photos to have the date in the name. No matter what folder they are in, even 200 folders deep into their my pictures folder.

Well, maybe.. i can't think of a single person I know that falls in to that category that would ever do that to begin with, or even care for that matter, but I don't have many incredibly OCD friends either.
#68arleasPosted 7/23/2014 1:40:59 PM
The things you can do in text with a CLI are amazing... doing the same thing with a GUI involves a lot of extra work. The difference is that you could put all of that "work" into one line of text and be done in seconds (provided you know what to type).

With GUI you're moving the mouse, opening windows, clicking, right clicking, etc. You don't have to remember a command to do the GUI stuff and it's easier for casual stuff, but for more intensive stuff the CLI wins. To streamline a bunch of GUI commands into one task you'd need a whole program to do that. To streamline a bunch of commands into one task in text you just need the text.

In the photo example given above, I'd use something like Irfanview to batch rename...but without that program it would take me FOREVER.

Anyway: I believe linux gaming will be a thing in the next 5 years. I mean, they started their switch to Mac back in 2010, and it's sorta gotten to the point where almost everything has a Mac version (but not everything). The fact that steamplay is a thing (instead of trying to sell you a separate copy of the game for Linux) means that as they build up the library, your linux library is already growing.

If it wasn't for steamplay, then it would be more like 10-15 years for linux to take hold.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#69Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 2:41:05 PM(edited)
Let me use a real world example I use every single day to try and nail home the difference between what people appear to think they're being asked to do when they see a set of instructions that includes the command prompt vs what they're actually being asked to do.

The following is a bash script that parses a directory and replaces any spaces it finds in file names with underscores. Very useful indeed if you do any amount of work in a CLI where spaces in filenames are just a pain in the ass.

find . -maxdepth 1 -name "* *" -type f | while read src; do mv "$src" `echo $src | tr " " "_"`; done

Now if I were asking a novice to understand how I got that scary looking line of what must appear to be line noise it'd be unreasonably high expectations and you'd be right in saying the learning curve was high.

They don't need to understand it to use it though. All they need to understand is how to copy, paste and hit enter once they're in the directory they want to work with. Yes it involves some trust on the person taking the advice's part, but then again so does bumbling around in a GUI as you're being directed to as well.

EDIT: Fix'd
---
#70FL81Posted 7/23/2014 1:54:03 PM
Year of the Linux Desktop!
---
http://i.imgur.com/GRc0BXy.jpg http://i.imgur.com/lB6mOGz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/upr7fZ9.png http://i.imgur.com/W9hA4Q6.png