This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Linux gaming will ever be a thing?

#71Worknofun370Posted 7/23/2014 2:01:55 PM
Orestes417 posted...
find . -type f -name "* *" -maxdepth 1| while read src; do mv "$src" echo $src | tr " " "_"; done

Should flip flop -type f and -maxdepth 1 around, otherwise find complains. I do love me some one liners though.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#72Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 2:40:07 PM(edited)
What I get for hacking while munching cheetos. Interestingly enough openbsd's find tosses no errors. I did rather embarrassingly forget some backticks though.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#73PraetorXynPosted 7/23/2014 3:42:55 PM
You could do that probably easier with grep and sed. I can't be arsed to put the command together atm though as I don't have a Linux environment to test it on the computer I'm using.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#74AlexKidd5000Posted 7/23/2014 5:48:09 PM
I kind of think of the terminal as a console in a PC game.

Also, I bought a new backlit keyboard, but the LED backlight wouldn't work in Linux, so guess what? I just copied, and pasted a command into the terminal, and the keyboard lights right up!
#75Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 5:58:50 PM
The reason you might not want to use grep is that traditional unix grep as opposed to GNU grep may or may not have a recursive option depending on which OS you're on. Now if you know for a fact your script will only be used on systems where there is a recursive option then sure, it's a decent alternative to playing with find.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#76MarikhenPosted 7/24/2014 1:14:51 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Orestes417 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Orestes417 posted...
People need to get over this idiotic phobia of text. There's nothing ****ing hard about entering a command, often verbatim, into a CLI.

You're thinking too much as a typical Linux elitist.
Using the terminal is a steep learning curve for anyone not used to Linux.

I'd say the exact same thing if I'd never touched a *nix based OS in my life. Comprehending simple English sentences and typing a few basic commands is NOT a steep learning curve. A ****ing 5 year old could do it and think nothing of it while they're doing it.

It is for anyone that has used Windows since Windows 95. And since the vast majority of "normal" users are used to Windows only on their PCs, using Linux is indeed a steep learning curve for the vast majority of users.

Linux elitists may love the possibilities you have compared to Windows. But many users don't care about such things, they just want it all to simply work.

o_O

I think you misspelled "Windows XP" there. I mean I'll freely admit the possibility that my experiences were atypical, but from my experiences you couldn't escape from DOS until XP simply because all Windows OSes that weren't NT, or based on it, were nothing more than DOS overlays. You eventually worked with DOS because it was easier, faster, provided a performance boost over doing some things in Windows 95/98, or because the software you wanted to use didn't work in Windows.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#77KamenRiderBladePosted 7/24/2014 1:22:22 AM
Nope, no time soon until Linux unifies all Distros, which is never going to happen.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#78SinisterSlayPosted 7/24/2014 5:19:01 AM
Marikhen posted...
that weren't NT, or based on it, were nothing more than DOS overlays. You eventually worked with DOS because it was easier, faster, provided a performance boost over doing some things in Windows 95/98, or because the software you wanted to use didn't work in Windows.

I hate when people say that, it's wrong. The 9x line was a stand alone OS, it was not an overlay for DOS. DOS commands were not being entered in the background.
What you saw as DOS was actually only used as a boot loader. Basically DOS booted and loaded some standard drivers, then it ran win.com, which unloaded DOS and loaded it's own drivers into memory.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#79Worknofun370Posted 7/24/2014 7:15:19 AM
Orestes417 posted...
What I get for hacking while munching cheetos. Interestingly enough openbsd's find tosses no errors. I did rather embarrassingly forget some backticks though.

Damn you linux finddddd!!
---
hasa diga eebowai
#80LMTTNPosted 7/24/2014 7:20:51 AM
To a very limited extent, Linux gaming kinda already is a thing. It's developing at a faster rate than ever before, and I hope that eventually Linux will be a truly ideal Windows replacement for gamers. I certainly don't want to drop $100 on Windows for my next PC.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Postal 2