This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Maxwell cards

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Maxwell cards
1 year ago#1
So the new Maxwell cards are coming.
I have read the first wave (likely the 870 and 880) will be 28nm just like the Kepler cards of this gen.
My question is, if it still maintains the 28nm form factor, what makes Maxwell physically different from Kepler?

Thanks
1 year ago#2
Different Architecture
1 year ago#3
They laid down the gold in a different pattern on the wafer.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#4
SinisterSlay posted...
They laid down the gold in a different pattern on the wafer.

Mmmmmm. Wafer.
1 year ago#5
Branding.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
1 year ago#6
And that's why we need AMD to step up their game. As long as nVidia feels they are safe, they won't release their better cards. It's all going to be rehashed cards with 10-15% improvements. You'll only see a jump in performance when they need to compete.
1 year ago#7
Freedan12 posted...
And that's why we need AMD to step up their game. As long as nVidia feels they are safe, they won't release their better cards. It's all going to be rehashed cards with 10-15% improvements. You'll only see a jump in performance when they need to compete.

Both nVidia and AMD are stuck wiating for TSMC to get their 20nm manufacturing process in order...
1 year ago#8
Freedan12 posted...
And that's why we need AMD to step up their game.

But AMD is finished. All they can do is make cards that eat massive amounts of power, generate insane amounts of heat, and they STILL can barely compete.
---
i7-4790K | EVGA GTX 780 3GB | 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1866 | 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 4TB WD Black HDD | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Antec EA-650 Platinum
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about Maxwell cards

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived