This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how much of a difference is there between 25ms and 40ms input lag

#21The cranky hermitPosted 7/23/2014 12:02:39 PM
Clouddx posted...
How bout we put it this way: when playing an online game with a ping of 40ms a person who has less ping say 16ms of ping will be able to step around a corner and shoot before you even see him.

How about no. You can't step around a corner and shoot in less than 24ms.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#22ClouddxPosted 7/23/2014 12:21:41 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Clouddx posted...
How bout we put it this way: when playing an online game with a ping of 40ms a person who has less ping say 16ms of ping will be able to step around a corner and shoot before you even see him.

How about no. You can't step around a corner and shoot in less than 24ms.

That's an extreme example, and yes even a 24ms difference in Ping has a great impact on who wins in a firefight.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#23ElDudorinoPosted 7/23/2014 12:29:55 PM
Lemur_H posted...
wildog2006 posted...
HylianZ posted...
The average person takes 300-400 milliseconds to blink...We're talking .3-.4 seconds

It sure as hell doesn't take me almost half a second to blink. Pulling things out from where the sun don't shine?

Did you time how long it takes you to blink? From the moment your eyelids leave their default position to the moment they return and rest there?

Didn't think so.

If somebody took 400ms to blink while performing a visual task, I'd ask them if something was wrong with their eyes. 400ms means you've not only closed your eyes but are intentionally keeping them closed momentarily before releasing. And yes, I've timed it. Seems to take me about 180ms to completely close and completely open and then move onto a new blink, allowing for 5 blinks in a second and part of a sixth blink. The 180ms in this case is technically longer than it would take if I were just blinking without having to perform another action on top of that, so my actual blink time may be more like 140ms. Additionally, actual vision is only gone for a fraction of the aforementioned 180ms.

According to this link, a blink takes 100-150ms, which is consistent with my measurements:
http://www.unice.fr/scientificenglish/SciEngBioBlink.html

aak57 posted...
There's a significant difference between not having vision a couple times per minute and having every single thing you see at every moment be offset in time from the reality.

Aand, there's the reason why all this talk about blinking is also irrelevant.

Anyway, I don't know what a difference of 1 frame (16.7ms at 60fps) means in terms of real-world performance but I have found that there are a few games I reliably play better at on my monitor than on my TV, so it's enough to make it a concern in my head, if a minor one.
#24The cranky hermitPosted 7/23/2014 12:33:32 PM
That's an extreme example,

It's not extreme. It's implausible. And therefore, it does not support your point.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#25ClouddxPosted 7/23/2014 12:36:05 PM(edited)

It's not extreme. It's implausible. And therefore, it does not support your point.

Expect it's not implausible. Maybe you should talk to some pro quake or CS players and ask them how much ping affects them.

If you can't tell the difference b/t 24 and 40ms of input lag that's on you. I know I can.
---
#26arleasPosted 7/23/2014 12:42:34 PM
if it's less than 50 ms then odds are you'll feel the difference and then eventually you'll get used to it. If you're going to be switching back and forth between a good monitor and the TV quite often then it may take you longer to get used to it (or maybe you won't get used to it at all). I'd say unless you're a pro street fighter player you probably shouldn't worry too much about it. For casual gaming it's not going to be a serious issue for most people.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#27Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 12:52:54 PM(edited)
Clouddx posted...

Expect it's not implausible. Maybe you should talk to some pro quake or CS players and ask them how much ping affects them.

If you can't tell the difference b/t 24 and 40ms of input lag that's on you. I know I can.

That's very unlikely.

And, I guess I should edit this besides saying i's just very unlikely. On average it takes between 100-200ms for a visual stimulus to even reach the brain. which means that chances are, you haven't even registered that you saw something until at least 100ms after it happened, and you are claiming you have no problem registering a difference of roughly 1/6th of that.
#28KillerTrufflePosted 7/23/2014 12:59:20 PM
Clouddx posted...

He's not saying you can't feel/tell the difference in ping. He's saying that based on the maximum run speed in most FPS, it's highly implausible that you can run around a corner, turn, fire, and kill someone in less than 24 ms. Due primarily to constraints on the game engine itself more than anything. That is in no way saying that a 24 ms difference doesn't matter.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#29ClouddxPosted 7/23/2014 1:05:51 PM
Edavy89 posted...
Clouddx posted...

That's very unlikely.

And, I guess I should edit this besides saying i's just very unlikely. On average it takes between 100-200ms for a visual stimulus to even reach the brain. which means that chances are, you haven't even registered that you saw something until at least 100ms after it happened, and you are claiming you have no problem registering a difference of roughly 1/6th of that.

With games like CS:GO say you're playing Terrorist side on D2, if you have an awp you most of the time can run towards the doors that lead to A bomb site and before stepping out you can line the crosshairs up with where the enemy awper will be pop out and shoot, he won't even see you take the shot but he'll end up dead.
---
#30Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 1:09:35 PM
That has almost nothing to do with input lag, so I'm not entirely sure what your point is on that one honestly.