This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how much of a difference is there between 25ms and 40ms input lag

#31ClouddxPosted 7/23/2014 1:11:10 PM
Edavy89 posted...
That has almost nothing to do with input lag, so I'm not entirely sure what your point is on that one honestly.

It's comparable. If someone has less input lag than you they will be able to shoot first w/o you being able to react.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#32Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 1:20:27 PM(edited)
That's true, but it has very little real impact. The odds of 2 people seeing and shooting at the EXACT same moment are astronomical, and that is the only situation where 16ms would have an impact. And if the game utilizes actual bullet travel even in that scenario you would both die.
#33arleasPosted 7/23/2014 1:24:23 PM
I don't think the odds of it happening are "astronomical". It's just not going to make that much difference to the casual gamer. If you're hardcore into it and have to win at all costs (or if you're playing pro for money and stuff) then that would be unacceptable. The average gamer is so terribad that they'd be lucky to be in a situation where that extra lag would make the difference.

I'm not hardcore into gaming like that, but I still wouldn't want that kind of lag for everyday play. For casual stuff and singleplayer I'd be fine though. Unless TC is going to be entering tournaments online it probably won't be that serious of an issue.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#34Edavy89Posted 7/23/2014 1:36:10 PM
arleas posted...
I don't think the odds of it happening are "astronomical". It's just not going to make that much difference to the casual gamer. If you're hardcore into it and have to win at all costs (or if you're playing pro for money and stuff) then that would be unacceptable. The average gamer is so terribad that they'd be lucky to be in a situation where that extra lag would make the difference.

I'm not hardcore into gaming like that, but I still wouldn't want that kind of lag for everyday play. For casual stuff and singleplayer I'd be fine though. Unless TC is going to be entering tournaments online it probably won't be that serious of an issue.

2 people both noticing each other, lining up shots, and shooting in less than 1/6th of the time it takes for people to actually see what they "see"? It doesn't matter how hardcore or competitive you are, that's about as likely to happen as winning the lottery.
#35jake-sfPosted 7/23/2014 1:39:14 PM
You have no idea how ridiculously high 40ms feels when you're used to a CRT screen... trust me, its noticeable. Its so god damn noticeable.

How am I supposed to ever move on from my CRT with such input lags.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#36aak57Posted 7/23/2014 1:44:03 PM
jake-sf posted...
You have no idea how ridiculously high 40ms feels when you're used to a CRT screen... trust me, its noticeable. Its so god damn noticeable.

How am I supposed to ever move on from my CRT with such input lags.

Use one of the monitors with single digit input lag and get over it?
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#37jake-sfPosted 7/23/2014 1:54:29 PM
aak57 posted...

Use one of the monitors with single digit input lag and get over it?

There are more issues than just that, but I don't want to hijack the topic.

I was just trying to support the side of "lower MS is noticeable", and you don't need to be a competitive gamer to feel it, or be bothered by it.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#38axelfooley2k5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:58:31 PM
i made this topic here for a few reasons

i know there is a difference if you play online multiplayer my ping is good around 28ms and speed is 105 mbps down 10mbps up comcast that is usually 80mbps down....i never get the full 105 ever

i know pc players know way more about input lag compared to console players and i for the most part will use the tv for consoles and with friends

i have a gaming laptop lenovo y510....i like it but i prefer playing with friends and they have consoles

anyway the tvs i am looking at are a nice samsung that is better in every way to the other 2 that are sony and have input lag of around 26ms compared to the superior in everything but input lag samsung that is 40ms with game modes turned on and all that stuff

i keep telling myself i can get the samsung but i think 40ms it too high
26ms sounds better but the sonys are not as good in quality

my biggest issue is finding out what the hell my panasonic ips alpha tv input lag was
cause if it was like 30ms or so i would have no issue losing a little
but i know ips alpha is fast and doesnt have much lag
right?

that is my problem
#39TimePharaohPosted 7/23/2014 2:11:29 PM
axelfooley2k5 posted...

i have a gaming laptop

No you don't.
#40ElDudorinoPosted 7/23/2014 2:16:09 PM(edited)
You're talking about a little less than one frame of difference, so it's still pretty minuscule and I think that would only matter if you're pretty hardcore.

The above exchange about two people lining up their sights and firing on one another simultaneously has gotten a bit ridiculous. What are the odds of two people pulling the trigger at the same visual 'moment?' Probably not that high, but obviously higher in games with hardcore player bases like Unreal Tournament. But, does that extra frame of leeway help you line up your shot better, or help you duck behind a wall to AVOID a shot coming your way? Of course!

How much it helps is probably up to our imaginations since I think all of the 'science' in this topic has been pretty off-base, but every fraction of a second has to help for sure when you're in a scramble.