This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection free on Origin

#71Lord_VaderPosted 7/24/2014 7:22:56 AM
Umm whenever my Sims are in a house there's a giant black box that's beneath them always. Wtf?
---
Live long and prosper.
#72SinisterSlayPosted 7/24/2014 7:24:16 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
Umm whenever my Sims are in a house there's a giant black box that's beneath them always. Wtf?

SinisterSlay posted...
Now if I could just fix those shadows without downgrading my nvidia drivers I'd be all set.
The game takes forever to load on my i7. I am scared to see how long it takes to load on my old XP machine but it might render better as it's only using the 314 drivers, but it's also a 9600gt so the framerate might suck.

Basically it's your video drivers causing that.
Downgrade below 327 for nVidia. I am going to 314 as I know those won't bsod my 560.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#73Lord_VaderPosted 7/24/2014 7:26:01 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Lord_Vader posted...

SinisterSlay posted...
Now if I could just fix those shadows without downgrading my nvidia drivers I'd be all set.
The game takes forever to load on my i7. I am scared to see how long it takes to load on my old XP machine but it might render better as it's only using the 314 drivers, but it's also a 9600gt so the framerate might suck.

Downgrade below 327 for nVidia. I am going to 314 as I know those won't bsod my 560.

Oh.. that's a bummer. Ehh I'm not gonna downgrade just to play one game. I can live with the boxes.
---
Live long and prosper.
#74SinisterSlayPosted 7/24/2014 7:28:17 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Lord_Vader posted...

SinisterSlay posted...

Oh.. that's a bummer. Ehh I'm not gonna downgrade just to play one game. I can live with the boxes.

That's the theory anyways.
Considering you have to hack the file just to allow you to change resolution it doesn't seem strange that you would also have to downgrade your drivers.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#75HaxnStashPosted 7/24/2014 7:32:21 AM
Thanks a lot for this. Sims 2 is IMO the best in the series due to the "Open for Business" expansion (which unfortunately, for some reason, never made it to Sims 3). I had most of the expansion but I was missing 1 or 2. Now my collection is complete. Thank you!
#76temgunPosted 7/24/2014 7:34:26 AM
pwnater777 posted...
I just redeemed mine, but is Sims 2 better than Sims 3? I mean, I'm sure that all the DLC makes it better than just my base Sims 3, but overall is it really still one of the best simulation games ever released?

What would really be better in Sims 2?

I think Sims 3 is much better and I just realized that after playing around with Sims 2. There are so many annoyances that simply aren't there in Sims 3. Actually here's a few:

-Keeping up with hunger is a hassle. "Low tier" food and snacks don't raise the hunger bad much, or at all, and it takes a very long time for a sim to eat them.
-Sleeping is also a hassle. If your sim wakes up at 3 with about 75% energy, the sim can't go back to sleep anymore. Because of this, the energy bar will be depleted way too soon and it's annoying to try and keep it balanced.
-Free will means constantly trying to prepare food. I don't want the sims to do nothing either, but having a free will means that you constantly have to baby sit them in everything. In Sims 3, your sims actually eat leftovers and do other things that won't get your frustrated.

Then there are some bigger issues like no story progression. What's the point of having sims born, age and die if the rest of the neighbourhood doesn't age? The lifetime goals are also weird, or whatever they are called. If a sim's lifetime goal or whatever it was is romance, then your sims just wants to have sex with as many sims as possible and that's all they want. None of them are that good.

Sims 3 feels just way more flexible. I like how the rest of the neighbourhood also lives and ages. It's also easy to move to a new apartment or even to a new neighbourhood, so you can keep playing one family for as long as you want. It also has a lot of issues, but I still like it over Sims 2.
#77Freelance_WolfPosted 7/24/2014 8:44:03 AM
Hi Temgun. I have some of those same annoyances too. Here are some more annoyances that were replaced/deleted in Sims 3.

1. The Comfort bar. I hated that. It was annoying having Sims constantly wanting to sit down. That also meant that you couldn't use just any old chair/bed to increase Comfort. You had to stick to fancy furniture to keep their meters up, which is stupid if you want your Sim to be a slob or poor. So I was very happy Sims 3 removed the bar completely, which means you could be more customizable in decorating houses, and Sims could stand up longer to do fun stuff.

2. Traits made Sims more like unique individuals (like being neurotic and afraid of water) than the personality system in Sims 2 (slob/neat, shy/outgoing, etc). Wants and Fears was annoying, compared to the Moodlets in Sims 3. You weren't forced to buy a painting for $700 if you were a Fortune aspiration Sim just to keep your mood up.

3. Create-A-STyle (CAST) was an awesome feature in Sims 3. It let you fully customize virtually every piece of furniture in the game, for unique houses.

4. In Sims 2, you couldn't place a sofa right in the middle of a TV set. You couldn't place anything diagonally either. All that fixed in Sims 3.

5. No loading screens in Sims 3!

However, there are some things that's better in Sims 2.

1, Apartments!!

2. Dining.

3. Pets can have jobs.

That's all I can think of.

Anyway, Aside from a few things, Sims 3 did everything better for me. It's my definitive Sims game. Unfortunately, my monitor broke so I can't play Sims 3 anymore. I'm stuck on this crappy laptop so I'm currently playing Sims 2. I am reminded of these annoyances over again >_>
Even though I have no CC or mods, loading between lots takes FOREVER. I have to read a book or something while I wait.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#78CELTEKKPosted 7/24/2014 8:46:52 AM
thanks for the heads up op. never really played any of the sims games so i'll definitely be putting a few hours into this one if it turns out to be fun.
---
i long to see their faces...
regardless of the decay
#79Lord_VaderPosted 7/24/2014 8:57:17 AM
temgun posted...
pwnater777 posted...
I just redeemed mine, but is Sims 2 better than Sims 3? I mean, I'm sure that all the DLC makes it better than just my base Sims 3, but overall is it really still one of the best simulation games ever released?

What would really be better in Sims 2?

I think Sims 3 is much better and I just realized that after playing around with Sims 2. There are so many annoyances that simply aren't there in Sims 3. Actually here's a few:

-Keeping up with hunger is a hassle. "Low tier" food and snacks don't raise the hunger bad much, or at all, and it takes a very long time for a sim to eat them.
-Sleeping is also a hassle. If your sim wakes up at 3 with about 75% energy, the sim can't go back to sleep anymore. Because of this, the energy bar will be depleted way too soon and it's annoying to try and keep it balanced.
-Free will means constantly trying to prepare food. I don't want the sims to do nothing either, but having a free will means that you constantly have to baby sit them in everything. In Sims 3, your sims actually eat leftovers and do other things that won't get your frustrated.

Then there are some bigger issues like no story progression. What's the point of having sims born, age and die if the rest of the neighbourhood doesn't age? The lifetime goals are also weird, or whatever they are called. If a sim's lifetime goal or whatever it was is romance, then your sims just wants to have sex with as many sims as possible and that's all they want. None of them are that good.

Sims 3 feels just way more flexible. I like how the rest of the neighbourhood also lives and ages. It's also easy to move to a new apartment or even to a new neighbourhood, so you can keep playing one family for as long as you want. It also has a lot of issues, but I still like it over Sims 2.

The thing with Sims 3 is that cause of the open world there is no way to have total control over all of your families since if you control one family, the other ones are always doing their own thing. Some people don't like that. Sure the lack of open world is a downgrade but I personally feel overwhelmed in Sims 3 because of all the different things going on at once and the unpredictability. Also the annoying thing about Sims 3 is having to pay for content that was already in Sims 2. Instead of having pets in SIms 3 from the beginning, they decided to milk everyone and hold out on it for an expansion. The user interface is also better in Sims 2. The needs, skills, etc. panels for the Sims are much more easily accessible in Sims 2 than in Sims 3 imo. It's also a b**** switching between active households for me in Sims 3 because of the poor UI. I hope it's not just nostalgia getting the best of me playing Sims 2 is just a smoother experience for me with less hassles.
---
Live long and prosper.
#80temgunPosted 7/24/2014 9:12:35 AM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
However, there are some things that's better in Sims 2.

2. Dining.

What do you mean by that? I don't think I've noticed any difference, but it has been a very long time since I played Sims 2.

Lord_Vader posted...
The thing with Sims 3 is that cause of the open world there is no way to have total control over all of your families since if you control one family, the other ones are always doing their own thing. Some people don't like that. Sure the lack of open world is a downgrade but I personally feel overwhelmed in Sims 3 because of all the different things going on at once and the unpredictability. Also the annoying thing about Sims 3 is having to pay for content that was already in Sims 2. Instead of having pets in SIms 3 from the beginning, they decided to milk everyone and hold out on it for an expansion. The user interface is also better in Sims 2. The needs, skills, etc. panels for the Sims are much more easily accessible in Sims 2 than in Sims 3 imo. It's also a b**** switching between active households for me in Sims 3 because of the poor UI. I hope it's not just nostalgia getting the best of me playing Sims 2 is just a smoother experience for me with less hassles.

You mean all your families in one save file? If they are different families, then why not simply make a separate save file? If it's just one family, but split to two families, you could just buy another lot and move the other family there. However, controlling two families at once would be pretty awful, so you might as well let the AI take control of the second family and just play with one. Disabling story progression and switching active households also works. Then again, I don't play around with those, so I don't know how much of a hassle it is.