This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Linux installation help

#11DRAGON07891230(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 7:28:10 PM
Shub posted...
I'm not all that familiar with Backbox and I never tried to install Linux on a Mac, but why not make your life easier and run it out of a VM instead?

Just don't feel like it.

Anyways, some googling has suggested that it needs to be set as an active partition, and another source says the partition for instillation (on the SSD itself, not the flash drive) says it should be FAT-32, while the original link I was using says to keep the space as 'free space' instead. Any thoughts on those?
I've ruled out the .img.dmg vs .img thing, the system recognizes neither, and I've also tried the 32 bit installer. The flashdrive itself isn't the problem since the system will read it once it actually boots into OS X, and I can format and partition it any which way I want. This leads me to think there's either A) some setting or something that needs to be ticked on to let the system recognize the flashdrive as a bootable drive, or B) the downloads are corrupted (unlikely, since a new download of the 32 bit didn't help). The image is on the flash drive, and when booted into OS X, it reads it as an image, but it wont let me boot from said image.

(You all can stop with the "give up" stuff. If you aren't going to be helpful then go to another topic and complain about EA Ubisoft or something.)
---
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
#12AlexKidd5000Posted 7/23/2014 7:49:24 PM
Just install Manjaro, and save yourself all the trouble.
#13DRAGON07891230(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:12:30 PM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Just install Manjaro, and save yourself all the trouble.

While Manjaro probably actually official installation instructions that are actually up to date (one set references Snow Leopard), it's also not really what I'm looking for.
---
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
#14Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 8:18:53 PM
http://www.maketecheasier.com/create-linux-live-usb-in-mac try that to make the install disk
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#15DRAGON07891230(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:26:11 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
http://www.maketecheasier.com/create-linux-live-usb-in-mac try that to make the install disk

Note: The Mac Linux USB Loader app only works for Mountain Lion.

I have Mavericks, but thanks.
---
#16Treason686Posted 7/23/2014 8:28:57 PM
This is why this forum sucks. Guy asks for help, gets flamed by users who don't know how to help.

When I needed to make a bootable USB drive last, I used this tool:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

I believe it's Windows only though, but it's very easy to use. Give it a go from you Windows machine.
---
I <3 segfault
#17Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 8:32:00 PM
Pretty sure that article note is out of date and is meant to reflect the fact it won't work on systems older than Mountain lion
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#18DRAGON07891230(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:55:58 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Pretty sure that article note is out of date and is meant to reflect the fact it won't work on systems older than Mountain lion

Okay, I'm trying that now.

Treason686 posted...
This is why this forum sucks. Guy asks for help, gets flamed by users who don't know how to help.

When I needed to make a bootable USB drive last, I used this tool:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

I believe it's Windows only though, but it's very easy to use. Give it a go from you Windows machine.

I'll do that if the above doesn't work.

Thanks.
---
#19KaushadPosted 7/23/2014 8:59:25 PM
Ask for help on the archlinux forums
they just LOVE to help new people.
---
Let us assume that for the sake of assumption that I am always right.
#20DRAGON07891230(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 9:37:53 PM(edited)
Hmmmm. Well there's now a Linux installer on boot, although it's spitting back an error message:
no suitable video mode found
Booting in blind mode

Then proceeds to hang.

(Linux USB app, first link)
---
Posted using GameFlux