This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just gave up Norton and went Malwarebytes.. Questions please...

#1BeerOnTapPosted 7/23/2014 3:54:24 PM
So I have been using Norton for a while, and have been happy with it.
It actually is not intrusive and does a good job.
However, given the fact that it's too expensive, and Malwarebytes is only $25, and allows up to three computers, I went with it. I have been using the free version on my laptop and it has worked nicely. So I will be using premium MWB now on both my laptop and desktop.
I completely uninstalled Norton. Now I just have a couple questions.

1: Norton automatically shut off Winows Defender. With Norton gone, Windows Defender is back. Should I be using it in conjunction with MWB?
Or is there a way to let it know that MWB will now be doing all the work?
2: Is there anything I need to know about using Windows Firewall? Because I guess MWB doesn't provide firewall like Norton did (again, Norton simply shut off WFW and did the job). Like will it block certain aspects of my games or other day to day use automatically?
#2Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 3:55:21 PM
Malwarebytes isn't an antivirus per se, so keep defender on as well.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#3BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 3:57:43 PM
Cool thanks..
Will I be just fine with this combo?
#4GoldninjaPosted 7/23/2014 4:03:06 PM(edited)
It's a good combo and should be enough. Running Firefox with adBlock + and No Script would be even better, but if no script annoys, well, not a huge deal. Last I heard, Defender isn't as good as it used to be, but I doubt it's so bad you'll need Avira or whatever. Just keep it updated via Windows Updates.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#5Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 4:03:23 PM
Should be, provided you don't go looking for ways to get infected or frequent shady sites.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#6NingishzidaPosted 7/23/2014 4:32:06 PM
Goldninja posted...
adBlock + and No Script
#7Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 4:37:19 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Goldninja posted...
adBlock + and No Script

I tried No Script and I instantly got rid of it. I couldn't do ANYTHING that used script. Which is basically everything. AD Block is good enough. I haven't had a virus in years.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#8Ichigo619Posted 7/23/2014 4:46:00 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
I tried No Script and I instantly got rid of it. I couldn't do ANYTHING that used script.

You gotta learn how to use it :)
---
PSN-trang85
https://i.minus.com/iBCjGw2RBDcqQ.gif http://puu.sh/589Ol.jpg
#9Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 5:20:31 PM
Ichigo619 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I tried No Script and I instantly got rid of it. I couldn't do ANYTHING that used script.

You gotta learn how to use it :)

Perhaps... All that I got was that I have to manually add each site to the trusted list.. Which is annoying. I also couldn't translate webpages witht hat thing either. Even if I were to turn it off it still wouldn't translate webpages. So I said F it. I don't need to have this and there really is no need for it either. So I got rid of it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#10GarudinPosted 7/23/2014 5:42:37 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
erhaps... All that I got was that I have to manually add each site to the trusted list.. Which is annoying. I also couldn't translate webpages witht hat thing either. Even if I were to turn it off it still wouldn't translate webpages. So I said F it. I don't need to have this and there really is no need for it either. So I got rid of it.

It actually has a mode where it allows everything except known scripts that they have blacklisted. I didn't even know about this myself until I went to get rid of it myself for the same reasons and it then asked if I wanted to run it in the mentioned mode.
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin