This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Windows yelling about being low on memory when I have 3 GB left?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why is Windows yelling about being low on memory when I have 3 GB left?
1 year ago#1
I hade FF open with 4 tabs and Wolfenstein playing and all of a sudden I am getting ripped out of the game and windows is wanting to close apps to save memory. This has happened before and I don't understand because I have a little less than half of my available memory left. 3 of 8 GB was unused. Is it a power setting in Windows?
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
1 year ago#2
you have a 64bit OS, right?
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book II http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_ii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/eLAb8Hj2
1 year ago#3
Could be a problem with your paging file size. For some reason mine was set extremely low and it caused problems in games. Notably games like Arma 3 that use a lot of processing, I'd get tabbed out and crashes because Windows complained about low memory when I was only using about 1/3 of what I had.

Google how to adjust it for what's right for you. I have 8GB RAM and my OS drive (SSD) is set to a minimum of 8GB and a max of 8GB.
---
Steam: Sydite
1 year ago#4
ChromaticAngel posted...
you have a 64bit OS, right?

Indeed.
---
Yah like dahgs?
1 year ago#5
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Could be a problem with your paging file size. For some reason mine was set extremely low and it caused problems in games. Notably games like Arma 3 that use a lot of processing, I'd get tabbed out and crashes because Windows complained about low memory when I was only using about 1/3 of what I had.

Google how to adjust it for what's right for you. I have 8GB RAM and my OS drive (SSD) is set to a minimum of 8GB and a max of 8GB.

Thanks dude.
---
Yah like dahgs?
1 year ago#6
I don't see how having a small pagefile could affect a game at all. I know windows requires a very small amount for certain services (or something) but anything more than even 512MB should be overkill...

I mean the whole concept of pagefile is that is uses your HDD as RAM when you have no system memory left...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
1 year ago#7
Some programs expect a properly sized pagefile to be available to them and will use it regardless of how much physical memory you have.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
1 year ago#8
Orestes, how often does this happen with modern software and do games ever do this? That seems like horrible code if it does that... but I believe it.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
1 year ago#9
I honestly couldn't speculate about games doing it, I only know that some programs do have the behavior. I think last time I ran into it was working with an Oracle database package a few years back.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why is Windows yelling about being low on memory when I have 3 GB left?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived