This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Windows yelling about being low on memory when I have 3 GB left?

#1protools1983Posted 7/23/2014 4:57:50 PM
I hade FF open with 4 tabs and Wolfenstein playing and all of a sudden I am getting ripped out of the game and windows is wanting to close apps to save memory. This has happened before and I don't understand because I have a little less than half of my available memory left. 3 of 8 GB was unused. Is it a power setting in Windows?
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 7/23/2014 4:59:18 PM
you have a 64bit OS, right?
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book II http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_ii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/eLAb8Hj2
#3TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/23/2014 5:06:32 PM
Could be a problem with your paging file size. For some reason mine was set extremely low and it caused problems in games. Notably games like Arma 3 that use a lot of processing, I'd get tabbed out and crashes because Windows complained about low memory when I was only using about 1/3 of what I had.

Google how to adjust it for what's right for you. I have 8GB RAM and my OS drive (SSD) is set to a minimum of 8GB and a max of 8GB.
---
Steam: Sydite
#4protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 5:37:00 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
you have a 64bit OS, right?

Indeed.
---
Yah like dahgs?
#5protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 5:38:20 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Could be a problem with your paging file size. For some reason mine was set extremely low and it caused problems in games. Notably games like Arma 3 that use a lot of processing, I'd get tabbed out and crashes because Windows complained about low memory when I was only using about 1/3 of what I had.

Google how to adjust it for what's right for you. I have 8GB RAM and my OS drive (SSD) is set to a minimum of 8GB and a max of 8GB.

Thanks dude.
---
Yah like dahgs?
#6HydroCannabinolPosted 7/23/2014 6:55:52 PM
I don't see how having a small pagefile could affect a game at all. I know windows requires a very small amount for certain services (or something) but anything more than even 512MB should be overkill...

I mean the whole concept of pagefile is that is uses your HDD as RAM when you have no system memory left...
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#7Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 7:00:01 PM
Some programs expect a properly sized pagefile to be available to them and will use it regardless of how much physical memory you have.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.
#8HydroCannabinolPosted 7/23/2014 7:30:22 PM
Orestes, how often does this happen with modern software and do games ever do this? That seems like horrible code if it does that... but I believe it.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#9Orestes417Posted 7/23/2014 7:37:16 PM
I honestly couldn't speculate about games doing it, I only know that some programs do have the behavior. I think last time I ran into it was working with an Oracle database package a few years back.
---
Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.