This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think PCs will ever overtake consoles?

#11Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 8:11:31 PM(edited)
YeonGoa posted...
thasnipermaster posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Overtake them in terms of what?

Probably means hardware, because there are many more console owners than there are gaming pc owners

Except that they've already been overtaken in terms of "hardware"
http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/12/pc-gaming-hardware-worth-double-console-gaming-market-value-report/

Yeah for like 10+ years now....
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#12thasnipermasterPosted 7/23/2014 8:13:50 PM
Ya I don't mean hardware hardware, I meant there are massive amounts more console owners than gaming pc owners, which I think the TC is refering to.

When he says overtake console, I think his question is "will there ever be more gaming PC owners than console owners?"
---
Im opposite of a care bear
#13Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 8:23:03 PM
thasnipermaster posted...
Ya I don't mean hardware hardware, I meant there are massive amounts more console owners than gaming pc owners, which I think the TC is refering to.

When he says overtake console, I think his question is "will there ever be more gaming PC owners than console owners?"

If that's the case... Then no. It never will. Console owners outnumbers PC gaming users like 10-1 at least.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#14DawnshadowPosted 7/23/2014 8:55:15 PM
Unless something happens to change public perception of PC gaming, no, probably not. (Steam Machines might actually do this, if they catch on.)

PC gamers know that PC gaming is easy these days-- even if something does go wrong, 90% of the time you can Google your way to a solution in under 15 minutes. Non-PC gamers think it's still like it was in the mid-90s, where you had to manually patch games, fiddle with DOS configuration files, and so on.

And there's no big company pushing PC gaming the way that consoles get advertised and hyped. Our exclusives aren't really marketed to the general public, with a mere handful of exceptions (and, honestly, most of our best exclusives are indies.)
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#15PsythikPosted 7/23/2014 9:03:05 PM
In a lot of Asian countries (mainly China & South Korea) they already have taken over. Same in poorer countries that consoles weren't always exported to.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#16TraeDoesItAllPosted 7/23/2014 10:06:06 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#17JKatarnPosted 7/23/2014 10:13:35 PM(edited)
As far as potential performance/visuals are concerned? Definitely, you can assemble a system right now that obliterates the consoles. As far as initial hardware cost/ease of use/market penetration (yes, there are a LOT of PCs out there, but most of them aren't equipped to play anything beyond the odd game of solitaire or bejeweled), I doubt it.

PC/component makers don't get a license fee for each game sold, and because of that they're not willing to sell their hardware at a loss in the hopes of making up the difference on license fees like Microsoft/Sony. The mass market (those that aren't satisfied with "Words with Friends" etc. on their phones) want something you can just plug in, pop in a disc, and (after some updates) be playing a game with all your other friends that are on Live/PSN. They don't want to dick around with driver/OS updates/game compatibility concerns/workarounds etc. - issues that are endemic to the PC platform (not that these are Herculean issues, but I'm talking about the mass market here, not the technophiles on this forum).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#18SinisterSlayPosted 7/24/2014 6:28:47 AM
TC hasn't responded or clarified... I smell troll
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19ClashtonnPosted 7/24/2014 6:32:59 AM
Well, yeah, they already have in most ways.

PC gets more games and exclusives.

PC gaming makes more money than console gaming.

There are more PC gamers than any other platform. But yeah there are more console gamers if you pool them all together, instead of comparing to a single console.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#20NemerlightPosted 7/24/2014 6:43:09 AM
And there's no big company pushing PC gaming the way that consoles get advertised and hyped. Our exclusives aren't really marketed to the general public, with a mere handful of exceptions (and, honestly, most of our best exclusives are indies.)

Seems about right. Big games do better on consoles while indie stuff dominates PC. You should be happy if you can play on both.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif