This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Casual dad looking for help purchasing a computer...

#21Loserman15Posted 7/23/2014 8:14:07 PM
Lvthn posted...
zzzSLICKzzz posted...
Lvthn posted...
zzzSLICKzzz posted...
Under 4k. Closer to 2k. But basically whatever I need just for WoW!!

My bad, joke thread. Under $4,000 for a WoW computer. Alrighty then.

I'm not a computer "expert". If you think this is a joke please leave. I came here BECAUSE I DONT KNOW. Isn't that that point of forums like these?

No, that's the point of google, youtube videos, tomshardware, and the ten thousand other places to find beginner friendly information with extensive documentation.

This isn't "I don't know which graphics card." $4000. For a PC to run a decade old game, and ONLY that game, nothing else, ever. You surely already know this because nobody on earth is that utterly oblivious, but $4000 is fantasy PC pricetag, like the kind of thing you build to win overclocking competitions. Not the kind of thing you play PS2 era games on.

Now ask yourself if a guy who is willing to pay $4000 for a computer just to play WoW could possibly be anything other than a joke. Even if you ARE somehow incapable of processing the wild improbability of what you're saying, that only makes it more of a joke.

You know nothing about World of Warcraft. WoW's graphical engine is updated and renovated every expansion pack, and as such gets more demanding. The truth is WoW is about as competitive at max settings to most other MMOs, barring ones like FFXIV (which I still prefer wow's art style.)

I had a 560ti and an i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz, and I was getting 60fps on max, most of the time except 25 man raids, with simple shadows.

I got a GTX760 and now the game runs at 60fps 98% of the time, with max shadows too (which can be very demanding for an MMO.)

The CPU is just as important as the GPU for WoW, and I suggest you get an i5 at the very least, and preferably an i7 because when Warlords of Draenor comes out, the game will be much more optimized for more threads.

Please educate yourself before you spew drivel like this.
#22thasnipermasterPosted 7/23/2014 8:16:15 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
thasnipermaster posted...
order a PC off of cyberpowerpc or newegg or ibuypower

Any of their gaming pc's will max out WoW im pretty sure..

Dude please do not mention cyberpower or Ibuypower. They call an Nvidia GT 610 a gamin GPU. An Intel HD 4000 esaily beats that thing.

Well as long as you know what you are looking for and know your tech you won't fall for that, they both got good some great pre-builts, always got seem to got sales as well when I check out their sites. I'd stick to Newegg personally though.
---
Im opposite of a care bear
#23LvthnPosted 7/23/2014 8:19:11 PM
Loserman15 posted...
snip

No, I'm aware. You did not describe a game that is in any way hard to run. You described a typical MMO on any hardware, inconsistent performance regardless of what it's played on because it's not just your PC running the game. You can turn down graphical settings to accomodate running it on an extremely lightweight machine, or you can watch framerate drop in large scale battles on a beast of a machine. I've never seen an MMO do any different, and WoW is a notoriously easy game to run.

And what exactly are you defending? The need for a $4k rig for WoW?
#24Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 8:19:30 PM
Loserman15 posted...
Lvthn posted...
zzzSLICKzzz posted...
Lvthn posted...
zzzSLICKzzz posted...
Under 4k. Closer to 2k. But basically whatever I need just for WoW!!

My bad, joke thread. Under $4,000 for a WoW computer. Alrighty then.

I'm not a computer "expert". If you think this is a joke please leave. I came here BECAUSE I DONT KNOW. Isn't that that point of forums like these?

No, that's the point of google, youtube videos, tomshardware, and the ten thousand other places to find beginner friendly information with extensive documentation.

This isn't "I don't know which graphics card." $4000. For a PC to run a decade old game, and ONLY that game, nothing else, ever. You surely already know this because nobody on earth is that utterly oblivious, but $4000 is fantasy PC pricetag, like the kind of thing you build to win overclocking competitions. Not the kind of thing you play PS2 era games on.

Now ask yourself if a guy who is willing to pay $4000 for a computer just to play WoW could possibly be anything other than a joke. Even if you ARE somehow incapable of processing the wild improbability of what you're saying, that only makes it more of a joke.

You know nothing about World of Warcraft. WoW's graphical engine is updated and renovated every expansion pack, and as such gets more demanding. The truth is WoW is about as competitive at max settings to most other MMOs, barring ones like FFXIV (which I still prefer wow's art style.)

I had a 560ti and an i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz, and I was getting 60fps on max, most of the time except 25 man raids, with simple shadows.

I got a GTX760 and now the game runs at 60fps 98% of the time, with max shadows too (which can be very demanding for an MMO.)

The CPU is just as important as the GPU for WoW, and I suggest you get an i5 at the very least, and preferably an i7 because when Warlords of Draenor comes out, the game will be much more optimized for more threads.

Please educate yourself before you spew drivel like this.

You speak truth as the other guy is just dumb. The laptop I linked should be fine for WoW even as it is today. Unless WoW isn't optimized for the use of multiple GPUs...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#25Loserman15Posted 7/23/2014 8:22:19 PM
A typical MMO is hard to run. What is your point?

WoW can run at the lowest settings at 15FPS at least on most computers, sure, but a decent computer is needed to really be efficient in raids (the bulk of the game for most, and especially LFR.)
---
Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. A+ and Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
GTX 760 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz.
#26Loserman15Posted 7/23/2014 8:25:38 PM
I really like the y510P. I've seen it lots of other times before, and almost bought it last summer when it was two 650s instead.

Although I think I've seen that laptop with an i7 4200HQ or similar for around the same price on amazon or newegg, it's worth doing a little research.
---
Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. A+ and Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
GTX 760 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz.
#27DoramiPosted 7/23/2014 8:28:41 PM
zzzSLICKzzz posted...
Are Alienware gaming laptops as overpriced and awful as I've heard?

For desktops: yes

For laptops, no. They have relatively high build quality and design (not the best). But the real advantage of Alienware (at least if you are in the USA) is that Alienware is the only gaming laptop vendor with any semblance of good customer service and warranty.

Is the privilege of calling a domestic call center and getting your problem fixed within a few business days at your home--as opposed to shipping it to a repair center for a few weeks--important enough for the extra $500 that Alienware charges over comparably spec'd laptops? That is a question only you can answer.

Personally, I am a fan of the Clevo rebrands (Sager being the most well-known), because they have a combination of good design and price. Build quality will depend on your reseller, because the reseller puts together quite a few important components--most notably applying the thermal paste over the heatsink. www.xoticpc.com is a good place to look. For your particular needs, I suspect a Sager NP9377 would be the best fit.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
FC: 3840-7579-4179 | Pokemon X IGN: Jing | Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, Piloswine
#28Lonestar2000Posted 7/23/2014 8:30:41 PM
http://www.ecollegepc.com/
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#29Fade2black001Posted 7/23/2014 8:47:20 PM
Loserman15 posted...
I really like the y510P. I've seen it lots of other times before, and almost bought it last summer when it was two 650s instead.

Although I think I've seen that laptop with an i7 4200HQ or similar for around the same price on amazon or newegg, it's worth doing a little research.

Hmmmm. I see. Yea it would be worth looking into that. Well TC should at least if he is serious.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#30Pyro_YuyPosted 7/23/2014 9:11:04 PM
http://www.ecollegepc.com/

Even though they over price everything it's better than what you'd find anywhere else?
---
Lieb ohne Seele...
http://wp.me/1EBnQ