This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Casual dad looking for help purchasing a computer...

#31PsythikPosted 7/23/2014 8:16:11 PM
zzzSLICKzzz posted...

Lvthn posted...
[rant] [rant] [rant]

Time to get laid, pal.

#rekt
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#32DawnshadowPosted 7/23/2014 8:41:11 PM
WoW is actually more CPU bound than GPU bound. The GPU will let you make the settings super-shiny and give you a higher max FPS, but when you get slowdown in a busy city or in a raid with effects going off, it's your CPU. In other words, get the best CPU you can afford (within reason.)

In terms of budget, $4k is WAY high. Even 2k is on the very expensive end. Assuming you're not going for over the top builds typical gaming desktop PC is usually between $600 and $1200, depending on how fancy one gets. Gaming laptops are going to cost more and be less powerful, because PC-strength components would just overheat in that small a space, but they're portable. A desktop is also easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Lonestar2000 posted...
ecollegepc.com</a>

This is where I got my computer from, and I'm very happy with the service and customization options.

For WoW, I would take http://www.ecollegepc.com/intel-core-i5-4670-cpu-gaming.html as the basis for the model, and customize it to your liking from there. I would swap the hard drive for a 120GB or 256 GB SSD (go with the Samsung models.) If you're ONLY using it for WoW 120 will be enough, but you won't have a ton of free space-- if you can afford it, you may be better off going with the 256 just to make sure you don't run out.. You can also install a hard drive for data alongside the SSD. The advantage of an SSD is that things load VERY quickly on it; your in-game loading screens will zip by, and your computer will go from cold off to fully loaded Windows in less than 30 seconds. The downside, of course, is that the cost per gigabyte is MUCH higher than that of a spinning hard disk. I got one in my current computer and think it's very much worth the cost, but it's ultimately your call.

Change the case to any case listed that you like the look of-- when you change cases, it'll show you a little preview picture of it. The sizes do vary, so you can go with a smaller case if you want-- the very first case on the list is rather tiny. The one they use by default features very bright internal LEDs, which may not be to your liking; several of the alternatives are a little less gaudy. I would also swap to the Corsair 80+ certified power supply; it's only $11 more, and is more energy-efficient (that's what 80+ means.) If you prefer Nvidia video cards swap to the 660 or 760.

You will also probably want to add a Windows license, unless you already have one. This will add about $100 to the cost, and I believe they will install it for you at no additional charge beyond that of assembling the computer.

If you want to make it cheaper, you could take the processor and video card down a notch, or even cut to 4 GB of RAM. (You could actually likely get away with taking the video card down more than a notch-- WoW isn't all that demanding on a graphical level. Overshooting the requirements doesn't hurt, though, and you seem to have the money to spend.)
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#33LazyyAmericanPosted 7/23/2014 8:49:39 PM
Lol buy the first thing you see at best buy
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience
#34JKatarnPosted 7/23/2014 8:58:06 PM(edited)
LazyyAmerican posted...
Lol buy the first thing you see at best buy

Um, no, I'm 100% certain the "first thing you see at Best Buy" won't max WoW at 60 fps. Their overpriced home-use machines will be lucky to eek along at 20 fps at low/medium settings. WoW can be fairly demanding.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#35sfcalimariPosted 7/23/2014 9:09:30 PM
If you want a laptop, go to xoticpc.com and buy one online. Should be able to get something more than powerful enough for WOW for like $800.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#36zzzSLICKzzz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 8:24:15 AM
Thanks, all.

How about this one?

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Special-B
#37dementedlullabyPosted 7/24/2014 8:28:34 AM
That should max WoW just fine. Even with the new *gasp* grass physics.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#38r0ge00Posted 7/24/2014 8:37:54 AM
http://www.thenoisecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Troll-wins.jpg
#39zzzSLICKzzz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 8:46:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#40dementedlullabyPosted 7/24/2014 8:48:05 AM
To be fair gamefaqs is probably the worst place on the internet to ask for any form of advice.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death