This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I bought a gaming keyboard and rarely use it for gaming.

#11CaptainKatsuraPosted 7/24/2014 12:43:45 AM
Do you actually use that keyboard for typing and stuff?If you use it for casual everyday use,then it's not a waste at all.

If you actually bought that keyboard for the sole single purpose of playing games and have a different keyboard to type and surf the web on,then yeah,that purchase was quite the waste of money.
---
Herp-a derp
#12Garage_ManPosted 7/24/2014 4:00:37 AM
That's why I got the ducky shine 3. It's a solid keyboard all around. I'm not one that really buys "gaming" stuff though.

Anyways it's only wasted money if YOU think it's wasted money.
#13aak57Posted 7/24/2014 4:11:31 AM
Agreed with those saying the "gaming" moniker is basically hokey for a keyboard like that. Especially considering something with blue switches is better for typing than gaming. You should have bought that keyboard for general use so if you use it for that and enjoy it, then your purchase was worthwhile.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#14_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 7/24/2014 4:18:42 AM
No. Even though it is now popular to use mechanical switches for "gaming keyboards", their main benefit is how they feel when typing.

I would only consider it a waste if you did not like how the keyboard felt when typing. Regardless of whether you played games with it or not.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#15MarikhenPosted 7/24/2014 11:35:51 AM
Personally, the only thing I can see that would legitimately get a keyboard labeled a "gaming keyboard" is having full n-key rollover. AFAIK it's not particularly needed for normal typing, but when you're playing MMOs like World of Warcraft or Marvel Heroes you can easily find yourself needing to hold down at least two keys while hitting one or more other keys at various times. This is, depending on the various keys in question, easily enough to overwhelm standard keyboards.

Given that not all mechanical keyboards support n-key rollover it's also enough to overwhelm several of them too. As such simply being "mechanical" is not enough to be "gaming," at least not in my opinion.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#16shmirlywhirlPosted 7/24/2014 11:38:50 AM
Never understood why someone would use a mechanical keyboard specifically for gaming. Red/black switches? Great. You can press a key a fraction of a second quicker (which I understand is important in high level play but to the average joe it is meaningless).

Now for typing- I love my keyboard with Blue Switches. I used to scoff at paying so much for keyboards but now I'll never go back.

Typically things labeled "gaming" are done so simply to raise the price b
---
Now with 100% real fruit juice
#17xMP44xPosted 7/24/2014 11:46:10 AM
It's far from a waste of money if you like to type on it as well. Besides, when Amazon do offers on the CMStorm QuickFire boards they're often very cheap for what you get, weakening the argument that all stuff tagged as 'gaming' is more expensive. The board I have retails for more than a CMStorm did without the claim to being great for gaming, though I'm not convinced mine is still in production.

Whether you bought it for the sake of one game or not you're far more likely to enjoy using it for typing, and it can be pretty great for other games as well, particularly if they have keyboard shortcuts. Far from wasting money you've probably bought a great bit of kit that should last you a long, long time.
#18ClouddxPosted 7/24/2014 12:22:57 PM
lol, Who buys a keyboard for gaming?
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#19arleasPosted 7/24/2014 2:03:59 PM
Clouddx posted...
lol, Who buys a keyboard for gaming?

People who think they're MLG pro and can do sik noscope 360 headshots...

I bought my mechanical keyboard for typing mostly... which is why I went with blue over Red or Brown switches...I love the feel of it and I cringe every time I have to go use a cheap rubber dome.

The only thing a gaming keyboard could ever try to offer me was the ability to save a ton of game specific macros, and that always involved the usage of extra programs I didn't want to mess with.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#20Edavy89Posted 7/24/2014 2:13:37 PM
Not at all. mechanical keyboards are one of the best peripheral purchases one can make if they spend a lot of time at their computer for just about anything. They are simply better constructed than the membrane keyboard counterparts. They might be a touch more expensive, but they have far fewer problems, and if taken care of, a much longer life span.