This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

University Laptop HELP! (Taking computer science courses)

#11alwekyPosted 7/24/2014 9:23:20 PM
depends on your school, but the school i go to, there are plenty of computers available during class and off.

Personally, if I were to get a laptop for school, it would have to be small and have long battery life. Because too me, if you have to bring a charger, might as well use one of the computers that the school lets you use.
---
xfire: alweky Raps: 6-7
#12Kiurx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 9:24:55 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Kiurx posted...
Ok I'll look at the other options but a 15-17 inch screen actually what my univeristy recommend for when going into computer science.

I was originally going to go MacBook but there 15 inch ones are bit above what I have :/.

Well a big screen is nice but it's just not portable. 15" is the absolute max for a portable laptop. Most portable laptops are in the 13"-14" range and they work fine for programming. Definitely get a larger secondary external monitor for extra productivity when you're in your residence.

I really appreciate the help and maybe I'll go with that. I guess I could find a cheap monitor
I'll look around around more before I make my final choice.
---
FC : 0318-6717-0940
Rank of the F*** club : Daemon's Persian
#13zerooo0Posted 7/24/2014 9:34:15 PM
TC look into the Lenovo Y500 series laptops. They are amazing with the only downside is battery life. It has good enough specs that my last year model can run games like Skyrim on high setting with around probably 40-60FPS, and runs games like L4D2 at ease. It also is a perfect balance between weight, and gaming. It weights I think 5-6ibs and is just great to carry. It's not the lightest, but you are not going to get a cheap light gaming laptop that is well good.

Lenovo Y500 or whatever is the latest of the line gets my vote for affordability, gaming, and price is just perfect. Only downside is battery, but no gaming laptop is going to be great with battery life or if one is it wont be cheap.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#14rainedownPosted 7/24/2014 9:44:39 PM
Just a note: check with your university. A lot of them that offer CS and CIS will have a laptop program where they will also offer inhouse support for anything that happens to it, which can be nice to have as insurance that you won't get left without a laptop at some point.
#15DragnfyrPosted 7/24/2014 10:19:04 PM
Kiurx posted...
Dragnfyr posted...
Kiurx posted...
Ok I'll look at the other options but a 15-17 inch screen actually what my univeristy recommend for when going into computer science.

I was originally going to go MacBook but there 15 inch ones are bit above what I have :/.

Well a big screen is nice but it's just not portable. 15" is the absolute max for a portable laptop. Most portable laptops are in the 13"-14" range and they work fine for programming. Definitely get a larger secondary external monitor for extra productivity when you're in your residence.

I really appreciate the help and maybe I'll go with that. I guess I could find a cheap monitor
I'll look around around more before I make my final choice.

I recommend the 13" Macbook. Great laptop for a university student.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#16DragnfyrPosted 7/24/2014 10:21:21 PM
zerooo0 posted...
TC look into the Lenovo Y500 series laptops. They are amazing with the only downside is battery life. It has good enough specs that my last year model can run games like Skyrim on high setting with around probably 40-60FPS, and runs games like L4D2 at ease. It also is a perfect balance between weight, and gaming. It weights I think 5-6ibs and is just great to carry. It's not the lightest, but you are not going to get a cheap light gaming laptop that is well good.

Lenovo Y500 or whatever is the latest of the line gets my vote for affordability, gaming, and price is just perfect. Only downside is battery, but no gaming laptop is going to be great with battery life or if one is it wont be cheap.

The Y500 is a fairly gaming oriented laptop. If the TC is only playing the odd game here or there then there's no reason to make such large tradeoffs on battery life and portability.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#17zerooo0Posted 7/24/2014 10:39:20 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
zerooo0 posted...

The Y500 is a fairly gaming oriented laptop. If the TC is only playing the odd game here or there then there's no reason to make such large tradeoffs on battery life and portability.

I feel like the Y500 offers the best balance for what TC is looking for personally. Really the only trade off that the Y500 has is battery life. Though you are not going to find a good gaming laptop with a good battery at the price of the Y500, not one that I know of at least. The Y500 isn't that heavy really, when I take it to one of my classes I just stick it in my Laptop case and go. It's probably the lightest gaming laptop that offers the best specs that I know of.

Their is always Sager laptops, but I don't know about them as a company and I don't know about their battery life. I think when I'm not gaming the battery life is 5-6hrs, but when I am gaming the battery life is 2hrs not being plugged in. But being in College I have yet to be in a situation where I don't have a wall plug in available if I need one.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton