This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Firefall: Anyone playing it?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefall: Anyone playing it?
1 year ago#1
Just pursued the first few Steam reviews and they are positive. Anyone in the buy in pre-release?
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
1 year ago#2
I've been playing, I didnt buy in though I've been in the beta program for more than a year,but I actually jumped back on last night for the first time in about 6 months. it's pretty good a lot has changed in the last year, I'd definitely recommend playing it if you have the required hardware/uncapped internet.
1 year ago#3
I've been playing it. Had beta so I didn't buy in. I'm enjoying it, but it's quite buggy with the occasional mission breaking.

On the F2P side, it's generally alright. You have five classes to pick from that you can swap between freely at any time, and 11 more that need to be bought with RMT currency, bought off the in game market, or unlocked by getting to level 40 on another frame.

Currently the biggest issue that might stop someone from playing is that the locations for job objectives are picked at random. This can frequently lead to long travel times. This is easily and permanently mitigated for someone willing to pay any cash. While you can earn a motorcycle in game at 25, you can also buy one for funny money right off the bat. You can also buy a permanent glide station on a two minute cool down for a little less, or if you pay for VIP you'll get a two minute glide station as long as your account is VIP.

Otherwise the game play is fun, but for a game that's been in beta for nearly four years, it's woefully unpolished.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
1 year ago#4
Is the shooting 100% player skill based or does in game stats come into play when shooting?
---
1 year ago#5
There isn't an accuracy stat that will magically make you miss, and progression is more horizontal than most other MMO's, so if you're clever you can reasonably kill enemies that are higher level. I've killed stuff even 15 levels higher, although I wouldn't make a habit of doing so as experience earned is substantially lowered when killing stuff 5 to 6 levels higher or lower than your own.

Damage is handled with stats though. And one thing I would like to point out that isn't really explained is your power rating. Every one point in power rating increases your damage by 1%.

And you don't have to deal with nonsense like enemies becoming invincible because the game thinks you're exploiting the terrain or pathing. If you can get somewhere that an enemy can't reach, see, or hit you, you're welcome to take advantage of it.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
1 year ago#6
Had the beta but never even tried it. Might try it now because I got the email for some free garbage that doesn't matter; also to try a "final" product after 3 years~ of signing up.
---
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S
1 year ago#7
I guess I'll just have to give it a try on the 29th.

The whole travel time thing, with paying to alleviate some of it has me skeptical though.
---
1 year ago#8
I haven't touched the game in quite a few months, but from what I recall some of the primary issues were:
#1 Game of Thumpers: While the developers had done work to alleviate the problem somewhat by providing alternative methods for acquiring resources, "thumping" remained the primary, and often the most boring after you'd done it enough, form.

#2 Lack of generic MMO level scaling also means that mobs don't scale in expected ways. As a result it's very easy for a low-level player to go through normal exploration and end up getting their ass handed to them.

I'd go into the bugs such as one or two that made grouping and engaging in some of the "instances" in the game impossible, but given that the whole purpose of alphas and betas is to find and squash them, and that the game going "live" would suggest that most if not all of the obvious bugs have in fact been squashed, detailing them would probably be pointless.

It was, however, a very fun game. Mind you I tended to have much more fun getting some fast-paced hard/heavy music going while engaging in back-to-back-to-back-to-back thumping sessions in a PvE version of the deathmatch sessions I used to pull years ago, but even when playing "normally" the game can be entertaining. Given how easily you can get in over your head it most definitely can be challenging too, and the lack of several of the more traditional MMO stats/mechanics means that unlike in World of Warcraft you won't be in a situation where a fight is unfair due purely to something as arbitrary as level.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Firefall: Anyone playing it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived