This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Elder Scrolls game - Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

#101LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/26/2014 10:19:18 AM
Oblivion is the only ES where I did everything

Skyrim is very boring content wise and Morrowind is beyond aged. Very few people will find it enjoyable past 15 mins
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#102Sexy_L4DYPosted 7/26/2014 10:20:55 AM
Skyrim bored me and I haven't played Morrowind. So I'll choose Oblivion.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKUD2k6.gif
Leader and member of the Eva Marines fan club! Current members: 14
#103Aqua69696Posted 7/26/2014 1:13:48 PM
Morrowind: Original World with varied cities and Strongholds with unique architecture based on the local people, for example the differences between Vivec, Tel Mora, and Pelgiad.
Oblivion: Same city 6 times or so over.
Skyrim: Very similar cities 6 or so times over, with the same smaller city pasted a few times round

Morrowind: Unique setting and story with slavery, discrimination, and moral ambiguity, and believable motives, Ash Storms, diseases.(Say what you will, Dagoth Ur had valid points, even if he did go insane).
Oblivion: Evil guy wants to destroy/enslave world because he is designated Evil Guy.
Skyrim: Evil Dragon wants to enslave world because he is designated Evil Dragon.

Morrowind: Unique world with giant mushrooms, gigantic insects for transportation, unique enemies and wildlife like Kwama, Scrib, Netches, Alit, Guar, Nyx Hounds, etc. Even the insults weren't your standard crap, Dark Elves calling me S'wit and Fetcher.
Oblivion. GENERIC WESTERN FANTASY. Minotaurs, Goblins, standard unoriginal fantasy world crap.
Skyrim: GENERICEST WESTERN FANTASY. Boy do I love fighting such original creatures as Wolves, Dragons, Giants, Bears, and endless nordic zombies, Giant Spiders. **** me I'm surprised they didn't ret-con dwarfs into Tolkienesque ones.

Morrowind was interesting and original. The others were just "Western Fantasy 46: Return of the vaguely middle age Europe."
The combat in all 3 of them is awful, and all 3 are about as well balanced as a McDonalds breakfast, not to mention Skyrim removed any and all uses for gold, such as weapon repair.
---
Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You.
#104That1GuyyPosted 7/26/2014 1:19:44 PM
I just want to say that discrimination in Morrowind is kind of a joke. Racial disposition modifiers are minor compared to other modifiers (also you can straight up buy a potion to give you 100 disposition with anyone), societal racism is mentioned in passing in dialogue (although there are a couple minor quests), and you being a member of the slave races changes nothing with respect to quests and dialogue from slave owners, other slave races, or any natives sympathetic towards slavery.

In fact, I think your sex changes more in the game than race, since a couple quests are different based on your gender, while I do not think any at all change based on race.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#105chandl34Posted 7/26/2014 1:19:46 PM
I know Morrowind is the best game, but I'm kinda surprised it's winning. I thought Skyrim's newness, and all you jokesters that call Morrowind archaic, like it's Ultima 1 or something, would drag the score down.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#106QuantumMechonisPosted 7/26/2014 2:23:17 PM
In my opinion, without mods Morrowind all the way. With mods it's a tie between Morrowind and Oblivion. Oblivion has some great quest mods that so far nobody has made anything comparable in Skyrim.
---
Registered by C0DA.
#107CommonJoePosted 7/26/2014 3:53:46 PM
Morrowind is the best RPG

Oblivion has the best mods (though Skyrim's survival type mods do give it a run. OB's mods still go farther however)

Skyrim...has better combat? Bout it.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#108MasterTurtlePosted 7/26/2014 7:12:29 PM
Loshadt posted...
MasterTurtle posted...
It may be more realistic, but it makes for a terrible game mechanic. Really, Acrobatics and especially Athletics are pretty pointless skills that feel like they're there just to take up space rather than to serve any real purpose.

No, it served to make your character move faster and jump higher which are both extremely valuable skills in combat AND just generally getting around.

Not pointless in that they provide no benefit in-game, pointless on a design level. You have to use Athletics for basically everything since you can't really do anything without moving around. It's just filler, probably to pad out the number of skills.
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?
#109Auction SniperPosted 7/26/2014 7:21:17 PM
No option for Arena or Daggerfall?
---
"Sleep is for babies, gamers play all night!" - Thomas Falsetta
#110LoshadtPosted 7/26/2014 8:21:57 PM
MasterTurtle posted...
It's just filler, probably to pad out the number of skills.

Or maybe they put it in because as you run around more you should become naturally faster and that was the only logical way to do it.
---
A moment of silence for the dead panda.