This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Elder Scrolls game - Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

#111VoxwikPosted 7/27/2014 8:03:18 AM
Loshadt posted...
MasterTurtle posted...
It's just filler, probably to pad out the number of skills.

Or maybe they put it in because as you run around more you should become naturally faster and that was the only logical way to do it.

You run around more and your stamina increases is a far more noticeable effect than a gradual increase in raw speed. It's best not to bring logic into it when jumping in place means soon you can leap over buildings too. I can understand people liking the skills, but I never thought I'd see someone say they think they are actually logical.
#112VdashonePosted 7/27/2014 8:07:50 AM
Auction Sniper posted...
No option for Arena or Daggerfall?

He's not old enough to know they exist. Skyrim kids gonna Skyrim kid.

It's clearly Morrowind, anyway. The very idea it would be anything else is a poisonous delusion held by people of questionable worth.
---
I occasionally indulge in moderation.
#113XianCePosted 7/27/2014 8:10:53 AM
-5xad0w- posted...
Morrowind.

Setting was the most unique and appealing to me.

---
Nintendo is truly desperate, they're only surviving off nostalgia
#114LoshadtPosted 7/27/2014 8:15:35 AM
Voxwik posted...
I can understand people liking the skills, but I never thought I'd see someone say they think they are actually logical.

I think you misunderstand my point, I probably didn't explain it well enough. I'm saying the only smart way to make your characters abilities improve in the game is to make them actual skills that can be quantified, or specifically running speed and jump height, not that the results themselves are logical.

Naturally they had to remove skills like that from Skyrim because your character becoming noticeably different over a long time would be too fun.
---
A moment of silence for the dead panda.
#115That1GuyyPosted 7/27/2014 11:24:39 AM
Taking out athletics was probably a good idea. Creating a character with low althetics and speed causes you to move painfully slow to the point of significant annoyance. Having moderate speed and athletics has your character moving at a reasonable speed that makes sense, and then maxing your speed and athletics has you sprinting so fast distances start to become trivial.

With 100 speed, althetics, and acrobatics (bunny hopping makes you go even faster at this point), you can run across the widest part of the continent in five minutes at most, and you haven't even abused stat fortifications yet.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#116LoshadtPosted 7/27/2014 11:37:36 AM
That1Guyy posted...
Taking out athletics was probably a good idea. Creating a character with low althetics and speed causes you to move painfully slow to the point of significant annoyance. Having moderate speed and athletics has your character moving at a reasonable speed that makes sense, and then maxing your speed and athletics has you sprinting so fast distances start to become trivial.

With 100 speed, althetics, and acrobatics (bunny hopping makes you go even faster at this point), you can run across the widest part of the continent in five minutes at most, and you haven't even abused stat fortifications yet.

And that isn't fun? I agree that your speeds got a bit ridiculous (in Oblivion you would actually launch off of slopes), but as long as you didn't jack speed up to insane levels it was pretty manageable.

I don't get how it makes distances trivial though, Vvardenfell was a pretty large continent so being able to get from A to B in a short while was pretty important. There has to be a better solution than what Skyrim did, which is basically "No fun allowed, here have more passive skills". Really Skyrim's approach to everything but Durability was completely idiotic.
---
#117RaikouenPosted 7/27/2014 11:37:41 AM
Morrowind for its time, Oblivion for the stories, and Skyrim for the gameplay.

Depends on what you want. I chose Morrowind because there was nothing near as impressive as it for years to come.
#118That1GuyyPosted 7/27/2014 12:11:38 PM
Loshadt posted...
And that isn't fun? I agree that your speeds got a bit ridiculous (in Oblivion you would actually launch off of slopes), but as long as you didn't jack speed up to insane levels it was pretty manageable.

Dealing with excessively slow characters was not fun, and you don't need an athletics stat to include some easter egg item or effect that has you walking backwards faster than Usain Bolt sprints.

I don't get how it makes distances trivial though, Vvardenfell was a pretty large continent so being able to get from A to B in a short while was pretty important. There has to be a better solution than what Skyrim did, which is basically "No fun allowed, here have more passive skills". Really Skyrim's approach to everything but Durability was completely idiotic.

Magic and transportation services are what allow you to travel great distances quickly. Making your base speed so high that you can travel anywhere in a moments notice completely removes the sense of scale from the world and any importance of distance. When you can move so quickly, you'll realize that Vvardenfell is not a pretty large continent at all.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#119LoshadtPosted 7/27/2014 12:18:34 PM(edited)
That1Guyy posted...
Magic and transportation services are what allow you to travel great distances quickly. Making your base speed so high that you can travel anywhere in a moments notice completely removes the sense of scale from the world and any importance of distance. When you can move so quickly, you'll realize that Vvardenfell is not a pretty large continent at all.

I agree that Athletics/speed shouldn't have as large of an influence on your top speed as they did, in both sides of the spectrum. But Skyrim took it to a ridiculous extreme by completely gutting that aspect altogether because they didn't want to make the effort to fix the damn system. And Vvardenfell is a pretty large place, especially compared to Skyrim and Cyrodill which logically should be larger yet for some reason aren't.

I think they're valuable skills that have an important effect on gameplay, and you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater because Bethesda can't do anything right.
---
#120darkantePosted 7/27/2014 12:23:48 PM
Skyrim got better combat mechanic, but Oblivion got better theme, dungeons and more interesting creatures to fight.
I canīt say anything about Morrowind since i havenīt played it yet.

Itīs really hard to say, Oblivion do really need some mods to make the game more balanced and rewarding.
And Skyrim just have boring Draugh enemies like everywhere and stupid dragons, but the combat is very fun.

Although, Oblivion do got me in the serie...tough choice.
---
FC: 5429-6689-0419