This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Elder Scrolls game - Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

#21VoxwikPosted 7/24/2014 5:16:18 PM(edited)
It has its faults but overall I like Skyrim the best. Morrowind has its clunkiness (especially the horrifically hilarious accuracy mechanic) and Skyrim improves upon most of Oblivion's faults for me, some exceptions being stuff like spell customization not existing. Overall magic feels a bit unfinished in Skyrim to me, having played an exclusive mage first. Mods can fix that of course, but I'm talking about the base game. I will say not once did I miss armor/weapon repairing, especially once I started playing a couple melee characters.

I also don't miss +5 stat choices. I would focus on making sure to level up skills to get the proper +5 bonuses I wanted and that sapped a lot of fun out of it. When I modded that out of Morrowind/Oblivion and just played how I wanted without worrying about that I had much more fun, and I didn't miss it in Skyrim.

"Perks" that make basic skill use function properly are a bit loony sometimes in Skyrim though, I think, but I guess there's really not much other alternative in some of the cases or some skills would be too overpowered.

I do love them all. Oblivion was the first I played and I was blown away by the giant world. It wasn't boring at all to me. I had never seen graphics so good or a game world so alive before. The only thing that came close was the town in Majora's Mask and TES games take that to an entirely greater magnitude of scale. I got Morrowind later and enjoyed it but did not finish it yet.
#22KidInTheHallPosted 7/24/2014 5:25:22 PM
I voted Skyrim.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750 | MS-DOS 6
#23Edavy89Posted 7/24/2014 5:29:41 PM
Morrowind by far, given that we are using a "for it's time" pre-curser. At least the beast races actually looked like, ya know, beast races.
#24DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/24/2014 5:30:01 PM
Skyrim with mods.

Morrowind was destroyed by cliffracers and cell loads. The experience you got from first time you take that potion from the dead experimenter and launch to the other side of the world was completely ruined by the way the cells loaded.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#25GunsSlashRosesPosted 7/24/2014 5:32:34 PM
Morrowind >>>>>>>>>Oblivion>>>Skyrim

Morrowind is an amazing game (no rose tint, I still play it), Oblivion is prettier and has better AI but is dumbed down and Skyrim dumbs it down to tediousness.

And if Daggerfall were on that list it would be last. I'm an 80's kid (87) and didn't get to play it at the time of release but having played it recently I have come to the conclusion that it is, by far, the worst ES game I have played.
---
- i5 4670 - 8GB RAM - MSI Z87-GD65 - R9 280X 3GB -
#26Knighted DragonPosted 7/24/2014 5:40:05 PM
Morrowind was really fun, but I think it's pretty over rated because of Nostalgia. Without mods Morrowind had a LOT of problems just like Skyrim and Oblivion.

Without Mods I'd say that

Skyrim >= Morrowind > Oblivion

With mods Skyrim >>> Oblivion>>>>>>Morrowind

Skyrim has the best base game because of the updated graphics and gameplay, so mods can really make it good without too much work. Oblivion was also extremely good if you got mods to make it not have terrible scaling enemies and loot and such.

Morrowinds problems are a lot harder for mods to fix and it's the oldest so even with mods there's only so much they can do to bring it up to modern gameplay
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#27Cool_Dude667Posted 7/24/2014 5:42:00 PM
ESO has the greatest potential
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#28somebody336Posted 7/24/2014 5:55:34 PM
Oblivion.
---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
#29TimePharaohPosted 7/24/2014 6:02:43 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
Skyrim has the best base game because of the updated graphics and gameplay,

If by "updated" you mean "dumbed down" (which I guess is what updated means nowadays..).

I'm actually embarrassed to be a PC gamer when I see the poll results. Were you invaded by peasants recently?
#30ThePylonPosted 7/24/2014 6:03:00 PM
Awwww yeah faith in gfaqs community restored.

Morrowind: 41.05% 39
Oblivion 25.26% 24
Skyrim 33.68% 32

You do know which is the best.
---
I play too many different games to even care.