This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Elder Scrolls game - Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

#41bluemooglePosted 7/24/2014 6:54:47 PM
The only one I've completed is Morrowind. That get's my vote, especially since the Tribunal expansion is pretty fun. I get too bored after playing Oblivion or Skyrim after a while.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#42Big_NabenduPosted 7/24/2014 6:55:26 PM
How is Morrowind not smashing this poll?!?

Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
In that order.
---
Do you even praise the Sun bro?
#43JaghavePosted 7/24/2014 7:11:41 PM
Daggerfall
---
I7-2600k OC @ 4.10GHZ | GeForce GTX 780TI | 8 GB DDR3. http://www.backloggery.com/jaghave
I fought the law and the law lost
#44SPARTAN_D7Posted 7/24/2014 7:16:08 PM
Morrowind for its time. I probably put more hours into that game then any other game ever. Unless you mod it to the point where only the map is the same it's really shown it's age and is tough to play compared the Skyrim. Oblivion was okay.
---
Don't bro me if you don't know me.
#45dementedlullabyPosted 7/24/2014 7:16:17 PM
Big_Nabendu posted...
How is Morrowind not smashing this poll?!?

Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
In that order.

---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#46Sir_Meowcat_EsqPosted 7/24/2014 7:19:50 PM(edited)
Radar posted...
ryouma17 posted...
without mods oblivion

with mods skyrim

This. Oblivion without mods reaches a high point in open world RPGs.
Skyrim was unplayable until mods started coming out. Once they did, the true vision of the game really came out.

Unplayable is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ya think? Pretty sure all of those console people have enjoyed the game just fine without em.

In fact, I recently deleted my 80-something mods and tried playing it "vanilla" (with DLC though), and wouldn't say I'm dying without them. Some things I miss, but nothing as game-changing as I once thought.

Other than a few of wrongly removed components (spell making, persuasion, etc), I see Skyrim as nothing but improvement (however mild) over Oblivion.
#47TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 7/24/2014 7:25:34 PM
I know I'm in the monitory, but I think it's Oblivion. Hear me out:

Oblivion, in terms of how in-depth it is, is halfway in between Morrowind and Skyrim. It can be modded to be extremely in-depth. Unlike Skyrim, it retains some really fun skills like Acrobatics and Athletics and it had cool stuff like the spellmaking. It still felt like an Elder Scrolls game! Entirely new spells and mechanics are very hard to mod into Skyrim and get them working seamlessly.

So basically, Oblivion is like a slightly dumbed down Morrowind but on a newer, more fluid engine. Animations were better and it ages better as a whole. Yes, Skyrim is on an even newer engine, but it's even more dumbed down than Oblivion, with some stuff very hard to get back.

So I think Oblivion + a few essential mods makes the best TES experience possible, in my opinion.
---
Steam: Sydite
#48GarudinPosted 7/24/2014 7:34:13 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#49Maynard_JKPosted 7/24/2014 7:44:18 PM
Morrowind was the first elder scrolls games I played. I'm sure it would feel dated now, but I enjoyed it the most. Never finished the main quest (of any elder scrolls), but spent at least 200 hours playing.
---
I was right in the middle of a ****ing reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddamn things! It won't be long before they tear us to shreds!
#50CanadaGuy6Posted 7/24/2014 7:46:21 PM
Never played Morrowind. Played Oblivion for about two hours, then quit because there were just too many small, complex details to figure out, from how the leveling and stats system worked to how stealth worked, how to properly barter and persuade people, and how to manage your inventory. It all just felt like Bethesda had tried to make the game hyper-realistic to the point that learning how to grow and progress was a tedious exercise that got in the way of enjoying the game and story. Then came Skyrim, which eliminated a lot of the clutter that made Oblivion unplayable for me, and just let me focus on exploring the world, interacting with the characters, and thrashing bad guys. I'm admittedly a rookie to the Elder Scrolls series, so I don't know how much my opinion counts for, but Skyrim gets my vote.
---
Remember kids, every time you call a gamer "entitled", you're letting publishers create another pay-to-win, shovelware, or DLC-milking game.