This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the best Elder Scrolls game - Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

#61SuigintouEVPosted 7/24/2014 10:25:08 PM
Elder Scrolls are awful, but if I had to play one for more than an hour, I would easily pick morrowind.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#62foreverzero14Posted 7/24/2014 10:46:45 PM
Morrowind was my introduction to The Elder Scrolls, and Oblivion and Skyrim didn't quite capture me the way Morrowind did, so my vote is Morrowind.
---
Calling yourself a gamer when you only play Call of Duty is like saying you're a good cook when all you can make is ramen and Hot Pockets.
#63GordatonPosted 7/24/2014 11:13:46 PM
Morrowind, of course.

Oblivion a close second.

Skyrim is terrible because of casualizing it.
#64RadarPosted 7/24/2014 11:16:32 PM
Sir_Meowcat_Esq posted...
Radar posted...
ryouma17 posted...
without mods oblivion

with mods skyrim

This. Oblivion without mods reaches a high point in open world RPGs.
Skyrim was unplayable until mods started coming out. Once they did, the true vision of the game really came out.

Unplayable is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ya think? Pretty sure all of those console people have enjoyed the game just fine without em.

In fact, I recently deleted my 80-something mods and tried playing it "vanilla" (with DLC though), and wouldn't say I'm dying without them. Some things I miss, but nothing as game-changing as I once thought.

Other than a few of wrongly removed components (spell making, persuasion, etc), I see Skyrim as nothing but improvement (however mild) over Oblivion.

I need to clarify. I played the day-one and found it very difficult to play unless you went how they wanted you to. And the UI and everything was very wrong on the PC.
So I set it down for a few months until the DLC came out and played it with mods without giving vanilla a second chance. The patches may have made it better, but I love mods, so I didn't check.
---
{missing_var_sig}
#65DawnshadowPosted 7/24/2014 11:24:05 PM
I really need to give Morrowind another try-- it sounds like a good game, but back when I tried it (not long after it came out) I found it impenetrable. I hope I can find the discs...

So, anyway, I made a character at random (knowing nothing about the series or what anything did.) I wandered around for a while and fought a few things, then I stopped to rest because my health was low. Ambushed by rat, died. Loaded, rested, ambushed by bandit, died. Wandered on and found a town. A town should be safe, right? Arrested for sleeping somewhere that wasn't my house, reloaded, tried to find an inn, failed, talked to some NPCs, gave up and left town. And then a man fell out of the sky. I looted the body and read one of the scrolls....

Exited game and never came back.

Skyrim, despite its flaws, does a much better job of teaching a new player how the game works. Pity the setting is so generic....
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#66LoshadtPosted 7/24/2014 11:29:04 PM
Morrowind. Oblivion is almost entirely garbage and Skyrim barely qualifies as an RPG.
---
Scientifically proven.
#67MacrossSpecialPosted 7/25/2014 12:31:07 AM
I voted for morrowind. Spell creation wins it for me, hands down.
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#68YombieePosted 7/25/2014 12:45:10 AM
Morrowind showed the potential of the series. Skyrim showed the amount of polish that specific features could achieve.

The series really played towards casuals after morrowind, they chose to focus on a tolkien-esque high fantasy style of aesthetics so that the world would seem more familiar to the masses and instead abandoned the warped and wild world of morrowind that made it so memorable to those lucky enough to play it.

Even by todays standards morrowind sticks out as being an unforgiving, alien, yet cohesive and fulfilling experience.

I will go with Morrowind. Sad what happens in the books after the game though.
#69suikodenrulesPosted 7/25/2014 12:52:50 AM
I voted Morrowind. And to the people wondering how it's not dominating this poll, you have to remember that a large number of people haven't played Morrowind since it was released 12 years ago.
#70AskeladdPosted 7/25/2014 12:53:22 AM
Yombiee posted...
they chose to focus on a tolkien-esque high fantasy style of aesthetics so that the world would seem more familiar to the masses

Morrowind is high fantasy, too.

High fantasy just means any fantasy that takes place in a completely different world / universe (Elder Scrolls, Games of Thrones/SoIaF) or on earth but so completely different that it might as well be a different world (LotR). Low fantasy is fantasy where people from our world enter a magical world (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Harry Potter) or being from a fantasy world enter ours (...uuuh, I got nothing).
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar