This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there still a negative stigma against male players that play female character

#21DoramiPosted 7/24/2014 6:36:02 PM
Given the way males are usually portrayed in videogames, I wouldn't be surprised if perfectly normal male gamers relate more to the female characters.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
FC: 3840-7579-4179 | Pokemon X IGN: Jing | Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, Piloswine
#22calcyclePosted 7/24/2014 6:37:07 PM
I usually play males. but if he is boring or if a female class fits my playstyle better then I will switch.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
#23jedinatPosted 7/24/2014 6:38:50 PM
Dorami posted...
Given the way males are usually portrayed in videogames, I wouldn't be surprised if perfectly normal male gamers relate more to the female characters.

lol, this is rather true.
#24rainedownPosted 7/24/2014 6:39:04 PM
Dorami posted...

This is the biggest reason I've heard out of my friends. That and Buffy the vampire slayer making girls kick @#$ very cool.
#25n0suchluckPosted 7/24/2014 6:43:17 PM
I don't think there should be. For me, I sometimes play a female character because there aren't many female protagonists. I guess it's just a way to switch/spice things up instead of always having the hulk like male character being the hero over and over again. In my world, Revan from KoTOR is a she
---
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."-George Carlin
#26machetemanPosted 7/24/2014 6:51:52 PM
there is something inherently wrong with male players consistently wanting to play as female characters.

The "i want something attractive to look at" is a terrible enough excuse (maybe when I was 13 I got off to videogame characters...), but as much as some people might not want to admit it....selecting a female character when given the choice is a projection of some part of yourself onto the game.

If you play videogames on a regular basis, you are projecting something. Now someone like gf who never plays games, I dont see a lot of projection, because she honestly doesn't give a crap.
#27ShadowThaReaperPosted 7/24/2014 6:57:58 PM
Yes.
#28DetectiveZPosted 7/24/2014 7:05:50 PM(edited)
Going to be the weird answer here. But, I mainly play as a girl because I want something different then real life. I always wanted to know how it feels like to be a girl. I roleplay as a girl as well when playing just to feel more in character. (That doesn't mean I go guy to guy asking give me free items for some action. lol)

Does that make me sexually confused or a pervert? Maybe. But, it's how I like to play and no one should tell you how to play.

(Just please, stop using the tough guy excuse when saying... "I only play as a girl cuz I like looking at their butt." It's honestly a bit degrading. xD)

It's just really disappointing when people are closed minded and hate it when guys play as girls.
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#29n0suchluckPosted 7/24/2014 7:08:14 PM
macheteman posted...
there is something inherently wrong with male players consistently wanting to play as female characters.

The "i want something attractive to look at" is a terrible enough excuse (maybe when I was 13 I got off to videogame characters...), but as much as some people might not want to admit it....selecting a female character when given the choice is a projection of some part of yourself onto the game.

If you play videogames on a regular basis, you are projecting something. Now someone like gf who never plays games, I dont see a lot of projection, because she honestly doesn't give a crap.

Thanks Freud! Tell us more of your theories on the inner workings of the gamers mind

Not everyone is projecting themselves as the character they are playing in a videogame. Sometimes it's just a character that is in a story that you control. When you play a GTA game and run over pedestrians or shoot rockets at cars are you really projecting yourself as that character?
---
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."-George Carlin
#30ElementalWindPosted 7/24/2014 7:15:15 PM(edited)
Possibly the part that would rather use Endurance than Speed as a dump stat

Not everyone is projecting themselves as the character they are playing in a videogame. Sometimes it's just a character that is in a story that you control. When you play a GTA game and run over pedestrians or shoot rockets at cars are you really projecting yourself as that character?
Yep, you can tell from how I play Skyrim that deep down, I just want to stand at a forge making daggers all day.
... On second thought, I might actually do that if it paid better. Being on the clock would make working high-carbon steel pretty frustrating though.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero