This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there still a negative stigma against male players that play female character

#31Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 7/24/2014 7:12:12 PM
No one really cares unless you're being weird and flirty and trying to get gear out of it. This kind of stopped being a thing when voice become a requirement for raiding.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#32arleasPosted 7/24/2014 7:14:53 PM(edited)
SleepComa posted...
Doesn't even matter why would I care.

Pretty much this. Why does it matter? For that matter, why does it matter what other people think? UNLESS like someone else mentioned, you're all "Hi Boys! <3<3 Tee Hee ;)" and hoping for free crap...and even then that's only going to matter when they find out eventually that those pics you gave them are of some teen underwear model from an old Sears Catalog or something.

Silent Sniper IV posted...
No one really cares unless you're being weird and flirty and trying to get gear out of it. This kind of stopped being a thing when voice become a requirement for raiding.

Voice changers are still a thing... and you can get one for pretty cheap. I've heard a few and they're not 100% convincing, but mostly because the guy is still talking like he's a guy so instead of sounding like a girl it sounds like a chipmunked guy.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#33jedinatPosted 7/24/2014 7:13:42 PM
n0suchluck posted...
macheteman posted...
there is something inherently wrong with male players consistently wanting to play as female characters.

The "i want something attractive to look at" is a terrible enough excuse (maybe when I was 13 I got off to videogame characters...), but as much as some people might not want to admit it....selecting a female character when given the choice is a projection of some part of yourself onto the game.

If you play videogames on a regular basis, you are projecting something. Now someone like gf who never plays games, I dont see a lot of projection, because she honestly doesn't give a crap.

Thanks Freud! Tell us more of your theories on the inner workings of the gamers mind

Not everyone is projecting themselves as the character they are playing in a videogame. Sometimes it's just a character that is in a story that you control. When you play a GTA game and run over pedestrians or shoot rockets at cars are you really projecting yourself as that character?

Yeah his post was pretty ignorant. I enjoy playing a psychotic young girl in Walking Dead season 2, not because I wish I was a 12 year old girl... but because its just fun to have control over that kind of character. Whenever I select an avatar, I don't think "this is me" I think "this is my avatar".
#34Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 7/24/2014 7:17:24 PM
The stigma really comes from old MMOs imo. The drama guys roleplaying as girls spawned was legendary. I remember in EQ there was this bard on my server who flirted with literally everyone he grouped with and like, cybered half the server. One day someone doxxed him and posted RL info on the EQ server board and they lost their minds and it ended up being like a 1500 post topic. That kind of stuff just never happens anymore.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#35n0suchluckPosted 7/24/2014 7:25:53 PM
jedinat posted...
n0suchluck posted...
macheteman posted...
there is something inherently wrong with male players consistently wanting to play as female characters.

The "i want something attractive to look at" is a terrible enough excuse (maybe when I was 13 I got off to videogame characters...), but as much as some people might not want to admit it....selecting a female character when given the choice is a projection of some part of yourself onto the game.

If you play videogames on a regular basis, you are projecting something. Now someone like gf who never plays games, I dont see a lot of projection, because she honestly doesn't give a crap.

Thanks Freud! Tell us more of your theories on the inner workings of the gamers mind

Not everyone is projecting themselves as the character they are playing in a videogame. Sometimes it's just a character that is in a story that you control. When you play a GTA game and run over pedestrians or shoot rockets at cars are you really projecting yourself as that character?

Yeah his post was pretty ignorant. I enjoy playing a psychotic young girl in Walking Dead season 2, not because I wish I was a 12 year old girl... but because its just fun to have control over that kind of character. Whenever I select an avatar, I don't think "this is me" I think "this is my avatar".

Certain games that are immersive oriented I will make a character projection of myself. And with that being said, I create a male character. But Bioware type games where it's more about story I'll go either way pending on the setting. As I stated before, in KoTOR my Revan was a she because I thought it would be really cool to see a female Jedi save the galaxy or crush the Jedi order( as mine did haha). But to make generalization, like this guy did, is really not fair
---
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."-George Carlin
#36arleasPosted 7/24/2014 7:52:43 PM
If you want to talk a stigma, try telling someone you prefer playing as a khajiit or an argonian in Skyrim or Oblivion... You'd almost think they thought you were as bad as a BRONY for crying out loud.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#37jedinatPosted 7/24/2014 7:55:44 PM
arleas posted...
If you want to talk a stigma, try telling someone you prefer playing as a khajiit or an argonian in Skyrim or Oblivion... You'd almost think they thought you were as bad as a BRONY for crying out loud.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Just because dat reptilian jawline makes you weak in the the knees... and those come hither kitty cat eyes make you melt in all the right places... people always getting the wrong idea. It's unfair.
#38PraetorXynPosted 7/24/2014 7:58:09 PM
arleas posted...

Look at their roles in the games, look at their perks/stat bonuses compared to other races, etc. I agree the hate is overblown but the only reason to legitimately choose them is for RP reasons.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#39chandl34Posted 7/24/2014 8:00:11 PM
Only played females in Morrowind with the Better Bodies mod. Other than, I almost always play male characters, especially in MMOs.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#40jedinatPosted 7/24/2014 8:01:15 PM
chandl34 posted...
Only played females in Morrowind with the Better Bodies mod.

Were you, too, the matriarch of a lesbian vampire harem?