This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there still a negative stigma against male players that play female character

#61machetemanPosted 7/25/2014 10:35:53 PM
It's really not that big of a deal, to be honest. But isn't the whole point of a ROLE playing game to feel some sort of attachment or to at least envision a part of yourself as the character on screen? That's where it gets odd for male to consistently prefer female characters.

I don't think it's possible to play any kind of RPG and not put a part of you (whether its physical attriubutes, emotional attributes, etc) in the character on screen. I would feel the same sort of "stigma" for female gamers that consistently played a male characters (given the choice).
#62Death_BornPosted 7/26/2014 12:10:08 AM
I don't think there was ever a negative stigma, unless you use it maliciously in a multiplayer game to try to trick other players. But normally, I don't think anyone really cares who you play as.
#63krayziejoePosted 7/26/2014 12:25:19 AM
How curious to note that no one has flipped the topic to bring females playing male characters into the fold. Not that it matters, just pointing out how subconsciously sexist this post is.

Regardless of that, for me it comes down to a couple of simple factors:

#1 - What's the view of the game? First person? Third? Isometric? 2D platformer? If it's third-person perspective, I'll usually create a female. I'm 30 years old, but I'll stand by my 13 year old excuse of "They're more pleasing to the eye" thankyouverymuch.

#2 - If it's any of the other viewing angles, I'll usually go with which voice I prefer to hear, which seems to have the better personality for the character I'm portraying, that sort of thing.

But yes, across 7ish years of WoW I think the only male characters I rolled were shapeshifting druids or of the Lycan race. I'd much prefer to look at the back a female running around than a male. I'm a sexual being, so sue me.
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#64bybyrPosted 7/26/2014 3:06:24 AM
I'm doing that to fulfill my bisexual fantasies. In mass effect, i romanced liara in me1, being faithful in me2, and ended with kaidan (mshep). I'm planning to reverse it with my femshep playthrough :3
#65ClashtonnPosted 7/26/2014 4:05:58 AM
I don't care what people choose to pay as. But if I hear the "I want to stare at their butt" excuse I get a little creeped out.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#66WormBoi3Posted 7/26/2014 4:49:21 AM
There never was a stigma.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#67SinisterSlayPosted 7/26/2014 5:02:33 AM(edited)
I usually make both so I'm covered.
But i tend to be a bit more sexist and make my character genders based on their class. Women are mages, healers, archers, etc. Men are the swordsmen, berserkers, etc.
I don't play as myself. I'll role play instead.
I can't picture myself buff, and walking around slaughtering 1000s of animals.

And I have gotten free stuff cause people thought I was a chick, but I promise I did nothing to provoke it.
I've even told some that sent me stuff and hit on me that I'm a dude. Wish could have seen their expression.

I had one gm get mad at me so I just said that I inherited this character from my sister when she dropped the game. (I don't have a sister)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#68rainedownPosted 7/26/2014 5:01:30 AM
Honestly, there is still a stigma and it will be there until every game is voice chat and males can control their ability to hit on everything they see with breasts.

That said, people play games for many different reasons, many of which people have mentioned (to live out a fantasy, to play a story, just to play a game, to look at something that's nice to look at, etc.) So it's not a one size fits all explanation for why guys play as girls. Honestly, as long as you're not trying to cyber with people, lying about who you are, or doing it for loot then what other people say doesn't matter.

Also, just to add, I know plenty of girls who play male characters for similar reasons but also just to avoid guys hitting on them lol.
#69R i c kPosted 7/26/2014 5:32:46 AM
The real question is "Why do you care if insecure teenagers have a problem with males playing as female chars"?
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded and others. Tune in!
#70GoldninjaPosted 7/26/2014 5:40:54 AM
I usually dont, but when I do, its because I like strong women (mind and body. Fit, not super muscular. lol) and i'd rather look at them than some dude when i play. That really is the gist of it.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus