This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do gaming PCs allow for couch co-op 2-4 player games, or is it only 1 player?

#1ukemandwnbuPosted 7/24/2014 8:28:20 PM
I am considering looking into PC gaming. Months ago I was a contributing member to this board and I really learned essentially the basics -- with much more to learn still -- about PC gaming from this boards helpful community. Then... I sort of forgot about coming here. I guess I got discouraged because I figured it wouldn't be possible for me to build a gaming PC anyway because I didn't have the funds for any of it at that point. I didn't have the money for any games, not even consoles.

Regardless, my interest has been sparked again but I'm usually pretty busy now with work (making the money) so I won't be able to post so much on here, but I do have a question.

I'm wondering, is there any ability to play couch co-op (2-4 player) with friends on games such as Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Evolve, etc.? How about multiplayer games such as Call of Duty with its online multiplayer split screen (2 player)? Would buying console controllers (X360 controllers, for example) and plugging them into each USB port work, or does it not work like that? (Although I've learned some things about PC gaming, I'm still learning so bare with me please.)

I'm just curious because this would be the one and only platform I would ever want for gaming. If it doesn't work, then that's fine too. I'm actually expecting this not to be able to work, but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask.

Anyway, thank you GameFAQs PC board for taking the time to read my question. Any answers you guys could offer would be appreciated.
#2DetectiveZPosted 7/24/2014 8:32:29 PM(edited)
Some games you can play 2-4 players while others only allow single players.
However, for some games you need to do some stuff before you can play multiplayer.
(Borderlands 2 for example)
Refer to this link for Couch co op games.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1oef5j/list_of_games_with_split_screenlocal_coopcouch/
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#3ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2014 1:57:57 PM
Wow man, thanks for that list. Bookmarked for later.

I see the co-op games (Left 4 Dead and Borderlands) I'm looking for are going to take a little handy work to get couch co-op working, but I could probably manage it.
#4PraetorXynPosted 7/25/2014 3:26:01 PM
A few games actually let you do split screen multiplayer in which each section that would normally be part of the split takes up a whole monitor, i.e. if you have three monitors, you can have 3-way split screen with no actual screen splitting, each person gets their own monitor.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#5farigontiPosted 7/25/2014 4:06:45 PM
For sure. Check out the BL2 split screen/split tv-monitor mod. I had an epic time with that.
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#6ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 12:35:56 PM(edited)
That's great to hear I can play me my couch co-op.

Although I'm wondering, why isn't split-screen couch co-op for games such as L4D and BL2 already available on PC?

I mean to say, why do there have to be game mods to allow it? Do the developers choose to make it console-only? But then, Valve owns the L4D franchise, why wouldn't that game at least be couch co-op on PC?
#7ClouddxPosted 7/29/2014 12:41:00 PM(edited)
ukemandwnbu posted...

Although I'm wondering, why isn't split-screen couch co-op for games such as L4D and BL2 already available on PC?

I mean to say, why do there have to be game mods to allow it? Do the developers choose to make it console-only? But then, Valve owns the L4D franchise, why wouldn't that game at least be couch co-op on PC?

The split screen for L4D is already built in and requires no mods. I've played L4D1/2 split screen many times with my friends.

BL2 on the other hand actually requires mods to work in split screen.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#8ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 12:54:06 PM
Clouddx posted...
ukemandwnbu posted...

The split screen for L4D is already built in and requires no mods. I've played L4D1/2 split screen many times with my friends.

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying.
#9ClouddxPosted 7/29/2014 12:58:32 PM
ukemandwnbu posted...
Clouddx posted...
ukemandwnbu posted...

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeh, and it really is the Devs choice not to include Split Screen, which is a shame in most cases. Lucky enough for me I have two computers that are good enough to run any games out there, so if my friends come over I have no problem settings up a LAN session for any game I own.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#10Lonestar2000Posted 7/29/2014 1:00:39 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Couch%20Co-Op/
http://pccouchcoop.com/
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335