This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Firefly MMO reveal trailer has me cringing

#31pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2014 10:46:53 AM
Companion OP. Calling it now.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aBZ2Gww.gif http://i.imgur.com/HnzWmt3.gif
#32KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 10:47:21 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
pothocket posted...
I can see that knock-out lipstick being a class weapon for companions. They're always trying to make out with other players but you have no idea if you're going to be drugged or not!

I imagine if they seriously made that a playable class, it would be more diplomatic related - they'd have the ability to safely travel in hostile areas others can't (or to even allow the ship they're on to travel hostile areas), and basically just have a lot more diplomatic options to mix things up.

sex is a form of diplomacy. It usually gets you want you want...

Which was one of the points in the show - yet they were always tasteful in the depiction, never getting explicitly into anything. We have every reason to expect the game to treat it the same way. And companions were quite a bit more than just "the sex." Much of the time sex wasn't even involved.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#33SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 10:47:52 AM
pothocket posted...

The game would be pretty cool if it wasn't an MMO, and was basically the X series but you had your own crew.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#34SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 10:49:13 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
pothocket posted...
I can see that knock-out lipstick being a class weapon for companions. They're always trying to make out with other players but you have no idea if you're going to be drugged or not!

I imagine if they seriously made that a playable class, it would be more diplomatic related - they'd have the ability to safely travel in hostile areas others can't (or to even allow the ship they're on to travel hostile areas), and basically just have a lot more diplomatic options to mix things up.

sex is a form of diplomacy. It usually gets you want you want...

Which was one of the points in the show - yet they were always tasteful in the depiction, never getting explicitly into anything. We have every reason to expect the game to treat it the same way. And companions were quite a bit more than just "the sex." Much of the time sex wasn't even involved.

I am pretty sure Anora was lying about what exactly she does just to irritate Mal so he would never think he was right about her.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 10:50:10 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
pothocket posted...

The game would be pretty cool if it wasn't an MMO, and was basically the X series but you had your own crew.

It could even have the potential to be a pretty cool MMO - if they did it right. My hope that they might actually do it right is basically 0 tho. Especially considering they're already starting off poorly by including mobile compatibility. :P
---
#36SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 10:50:55 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
pothocket posted...

It could even have the potential to be a pretty cool MMO - if they did it right. My hope that they might actually do it right is basically 0 tho. Especially considering they're already starting off poorly by including mobile compatibility. :P

Yeah really the conversation in this thread is probably more entertaining than the game will be.
---
#37KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 10:52:20 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I am pretty sure Anora was lying about what exactly she does just to irritate Mal so he would never think he was right about her.

I didn't take it that way at all. I saw plenty of evidence throughout the series that it really is much more than just a traveling government-approved hooker. And if I was directing the game, I would *absolutely* flesh out that concept (pun not intended) and make it sort of a diplomat/spy type class.
---
#38SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 10:57:04 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

I didn't take it that way at all. I saw plenty of evidence throughout the series that it really is much more than just a traveling government-approved hooker. And if I was directing the game, I would *absolutely* flesh out that concept (pun not intended) and make it sort of a diplomat/spy type class.

Which evidence? Because I don't recall a time she was shown with a client where she didn't eventually service them on or off camera. Even the lesbian.
But we don't have a lot of episodes to draw on. And we don't really know what she was doing at that temple in the movie.

I agree diplomat/spy could be neat. Though that wouldn't work in the typical MMO grinding formula and the inevitable "energy" system that mobile games always have.
---
#39KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 11:01:56 AM
Pretty sure I remember at least one guy she didn't *actually* end up servicing - although it's been quite a while since I watched the series and details are a bit foggy. Some older guy - mayor or something? - hired her for his son, but it ended up not happening for some reason I think. She just talked to him and made him feel better about himself, but I'm pretty sure I remember they never actually "did" anything.

I'm not saying sex wasn't a big part of the job, but it *was* more than that.

I really need to watch the series again - details aren't as clear as they used to be. :P
---
#40KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 11:04:25 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I agree diplomat/spy could be neat. Though that wouldn't work in the typical MMO grinding formula and the inevitable "energy" system that mobile games always have.

Because those types of formulas are *flawed* - and not a good way to build MMOs in my opinion. Which is why I have yet to play a single MMO I enjoy, I think. I would not want this to be done as a typical quest-based MMO of the "kill 5 rabbits... now kill 5 muskrats" variety.

But like I said - my hopes are unfortunately low for this.
---