This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Firefly MMO reveal trailer has me cringing

#41SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 11:04:54 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Pretty sure I remember at least one guy she didn't *actually* end up servicing - although it's been quite a while since I watched the series and details are a bit foggy. Some older guy - mayor or something? - hired her for his son, but it ended up not happening for some reason I think. She just talked to him and made him feel better about himself, but I'm pretty sure I remember they never actually "did" anything.

I'm not saying sex wasn't a big part of the job, but it *was* more than that.

I really need to watch the series again - details aren't as clear as they used to be. :P

Sounds like Jaynes Town.
I think they did end up doing it, and she used that as leverage to get serenity released.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0579530/
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#42SinisterSlayPosted 7/25/2014 11:08:17 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I agree diplomat/spy could be neat. Though that wouldn't work in the typical MMO grinding formula and the inevitable "energy" system that mobile games always have.

Because those types of formulas are *flawed* - and not a good way to build MMOs in my opinion. Which is why I have yet to play a single MMO I enjoy, I think. I would not want this to be done as a typical quest-based MMO of the "kill 5 rabbits... now kill 5 muskrats" variety.

But like I said - my hopes are unfortunately low for this.

Your not being harsh enough.
It's going to be kill 20 muskrats, and randomly collect their tails. by repeating a dungeon that takes 20 energy, and 1 point of energy recharges every 10 minutes.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#43LordOfLegaciesPosted 7/25/2014 11:31:01 AM
Firefly
Okay cool
MMO

Jesus f***ing Christ I hate this multiplayer only trend we've had lately. Gaming is a hobby myself and many others took up in no small part because you can do it by yourself when you need a break from dealing with stupid people.
---
OUTSIDE NOW I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE OUTSIDE NOW NO I'M TALKING TO JACK OUTSIDE NOW IT'S POURING OUTSIDE NOW WELL FINE
#44KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 11:32:18 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Firefly
Okay cool
MMO

Jesus f***ing Christ I hate this multiplayer only trend we've had lately. Gaming is a hobby myself and many others took up in no small part because you can do it by yourself when you need a break from dealing with stupid people.

It's a good thing you didn't keep reading on down to "mobile" or you'd *really* have blown your top. heh Mobile MMO is even worse. :P
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#45MarikhenPosted 7/26/2014 9:12:13 PM
I'm not too keen on-line-only games after games like World of Diablocraft. For that matter after (at launch) "You need to take time out from saving the galaxy to kill a bunch of mooks as generic soldier 8675309 in on-line-only multiplayer combat" Mass Effect 3 and "Here are a bunch of missions you can't do because they're co-op only and we couldn't be arsed to provide an AI partner for single-player-oriented gamers" Dead Space 3 I'm not terribly keen on multiplayer in games that aren't more or less dedicated multiplayer games from the get-go. That said I don't actually have a serious issue with this game being an MMO so long as the environments are, in fact, Massive. I'll even forgive the graphics so long as they're sacrificed on the altar of having a large, interactive world with lots of (N)PCs around you.

Regarding some of the comments involving character classes, the whole companion thing in other words, I have to wonder why people are discussing class options. I'm not wondering that from the lack of information perspective; I'm wondering that from the, "Why in the name of Grod do we need yet another character-development-in-a-can class-based MMO when we've got quite literally hundreds of them, if not thousands, already?" perspective.

I sincerely hope that the developers handle character development in such a way that any profession you might choose to work in is dictated by character skills. It'd be nice to have more games where what you do with your character in the future of the game is based at least in part on what you've done in the past and not some choice you made at character creation to try to approximately predict what you're likely to want to spend most of, but not necessarily all of, your time doing with that character.

That out of my system, it would be nice to be able to become a registered Companion, though I'd hate to see the required skill levels for Acrobatics, Diplomacy, Speechcraft, Mercantile, Athletics, Massage, and Poker.

Frankly, if there's one thing to really wonder about this game it's that if you kill someone, whether NPC or PC, do they stay dead?
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#46ChromaticAngelPosted 7/26/2014 11:38:01 PM
oh god it's mobile that probably also means it's going to be F2P and also be horrible.
---
RPG Spotlight: Divinity: Original Sin http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/W5VSkrTC
#47kobalobasileusPosted 7/26/2014 11:48:52 PM
Wow, the gameplay in that trailer didn't even look MMO-ish. And everything looked really low-budget. I'm not huge into MMOs, but I was kind of hoping someone could do justice to the lore of the Firefly universe... nope!