This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Epic is ******* up UT again. Atleast it's free this time.

#21ElDudorinoPosted 7/25/2014 12:30:04 PM
thasnipermaster posted...
double jumps are complicated? lul wut?

Obviously it's not complicated to code in a basic double-jump and create an animation for it, but if you look at the back-and-forth about it in this very thread it's easy to see why it's problematic to implement.
#22Abiz_(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2014 12:36:58 PM
ElDudorino posted...
This is the first I've heard about similarity to the original UT being a bad thing.

And Morpheus never felt like corridor shooting to me...

UT3 was marketed on being like the original UT.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#23KillerTrufflePosted 7/25/2014 12:38:42 PM
Abiz_ posted...
ElDudorino posted...
This is the first I've heard about similarity to the original UT being a bad thing.

And Morpheus never felt like corridor shooting to me...

UT3 was marketed on being like the original UT.

I don't remember that, and I'm not too sure how they followed through on it - it didn't feel to me like UT99...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#24darthUAPosted 7/25/2014 1:00:17 PM
The UT99 Sniper was very powerful, but EVERY WEAPON in UT99 was very powerful. Each weapon, from the Sniper, Rockets, Shock, Flak, and even GOO GUN had 1 hit kills. That is what UT99 was. A bunch of completely over powered weapons. 2K4 though, with its floaty double jump, wall jumping, never hitting the ground combat, made it essential to be good with Sniper rifle and shock primary and hit scan weapons. The other guns were not that great except for certain situations because the opponent was always in the air.

The only thing taking out Double jump does is keep the combat more towards the ground, giving power back to the non-hitscan weapons. You can still dodge about anything if you master the movements.

UT3 did go back to more of a UT99 feel but the game play was not what killed that game. A horrible launch with bugs that plagued it early on, as well as the consolization (gears of war tournament) of the game, hurt it more than the movement and combat. The game that is UT3 now, is not the same game UT3 was when it first launched. They fixed the game to actually be really good, but by the time they did it, the player base was almost non-existent.
#25darthUAPosted 7/25/2014 1:06:19 PM
The other thing taking out Double jump does is let you scale down the maps. If you play UT99 and then play UT2K4, you will see the size of the maps doubled. The reason was, you had to make all the corridors and arenas big and open to accommodate the double jump. With out the double jump, you can get back to smaller maps and tighter gameplay. UT2K4 had a ton of out in the open, almost halo like outdoor levels. UT99 levels were a lot tighter and a lot smaller, giving more action packed experiences because everyone was pretty much forced to encounter each other due to the size.
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/25/2014 1:29:57 PM
UT99 was best UT, followed by 3.
If you want to play 2k4, go and play 2k4 and leave my UT alone.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#27jake-sfPosted 7/25/2014 3:21:04 PM
I see the same garbage that happened to Street Fighter. One game does something that pushes the genre forward, but only a few can see what it can do, and the rest of the casual idiots just go back to wanting every game to be as simple as the first.

Well, **** it. I've seen enough already, both in this topic and that single youtube video's comments. I don't want UT2K4, I want something that takes UT2K4 and takes it farther.

And people here just want UT99.

What is this ****. And its only going to get worse. Just like SF4 was a joke compared to SF2, but hey, its in the "spirits of SF2", says the countless idiots that couldn't differentiate the vaguest interesting gameplay elements.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#28rusty12000Posted 7/25/2014 3:49:39 PM
awesome, I am very interested.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#29Damaged7Posted 7/25/2014 4:07:10 PM
Double jump is stupid and makes no sense. Its isn't needed in any game outside Mario or some other platformer.
---
Bold Text
#30JKatarnPosted 7/25/2014 4:17:34 PM
jake-sf posted...
I see the same garbage that happened to Street Fighter. One game does something that pushes the genre forward, but only a few can see what it can do, and the rest of the casual idiots just go back to wanting every game to be as simple as the first.

Well, **** it. I've seen enough already, both in this topic and that single youtube video's comments. I don't want UT2K4, I want something that takes UT2K4 and takes it farther.

And people here just want UT99.

What is this ****. And its only going to get worse. Just like SF4 was a joke compared to SF2, but hey, its in the "spirits of SF2", says the countless idiots that couldn't differentiate the vaguest interesting gameplay elements.

Maybe the world doesn't revolve around you and your wants, but what the market as a whole wants? Shocking, I know. Also, I played plenty of SF2 back in the day and SF4 is definitely as step up from the original in several areas (while retaining many of the same moves, combos), I think you might have the rose-tinted glasses on a bit tight.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES