This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your top 3 Rogue-Likes on PC?

#1Sexy_L4DYPosted 7/26/2014 12:22:21 AM
Roguelikes are one of my favorite sub genres, It's one of those sub genres I'll never get sick of and I'll always be interested when a new one comes along.

1. Dungeon of the Endless - I love this game. The characters, music is incredible, the pixel art is beautiful and very addictive. Difficulty spikes when you hit the fourth dungeon. I should probably look up strategys to having a good party and researching the right gadgets.
2. Eldritch - Kind of a 3D Spelunky, very hard and fun.
3. Rogue Legacy - I thought I'd like this game more than I do but it's still very fun and addictive. The fact it plays way better with a controller kind of bugs me.

Spelunky is my all time favorite but I have that on my Vita so I thought i'd choose rouge-likes that I own on my PC.
FTL is also great but I've only played it for like an hour or two so I can't really say it's one of my favorites yet.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKUD2k6.gif
Leader and member of the Eva Marines fan club! Current members: 14
#2ggf162Posted 7/26/2014 12:33:11 AM
Nethack
Nethack
Nethack
---
The constructive use of riches is better than their possession.
#3YuniuninuniunPosted 7/26/2014 12:35:36 AM
Rogue
Rogue
Rogue
---
Friendly reminder to never play a game published by PWE (Perfect World Entertainment)
#4somebody336Posted 7/26/2014 12:36:55 AM
Binding of Issac
Wazhack
Rogue Legacy
---
TBWNN's grumpy old man >:/
#5krayziejoePosted 7/26/2014 12:52:12 AM(edited)
#1 - The Binding Of Isaac - Incredibly simple, incredibly addictive. 257 hours clocked on Steam, 3 hours longer than Skyrim. If that doesn't convey how fun and more-ish it is, I don't know what will

#2 - Ragnarok - The early '90s one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok_%28video_game%29), not the MMO of the same name (different IP.)

#3 - Torchlight 2 (Hardcore mode) - I guess it depends how you define "Rogue-like", but I'd like to think of perma-death as the primary criterion.

I respectfully disagree about Rogue Legacy. On paper it sounds like a great concept. In practice, I didn't find it to be a whole lot of fun.

Spelunky was almost on the list, until I realized how little time I'd put into it (only 15hrs) compared to the listed three
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#6NingishzidaPosted 7/26/2014 1:05:47 AM
Diablo 1
#7NingishzidaPosted 7/26/2014 1:07:05 AM
krayziejoe posted...
#3 - Torchlight 2 (Hardcore mode) - I guess it depends how you define "Rogue-like", but I'd like to think of perma-death as the primary criterion.

Umm, no. Your definition is completely wrong. It isn't a rogue-like by any stretch of the imagination.
#8RPGMattPosted 7/26/2014 1:22:00 AM
Nethack, FTL, Sword of the Stars: The Pit... Begrudgingly... Still f***ing mad at that last floor.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#9krayziejoePosted 7/26/2014 1:31:55 AM(edited)
Ningishzida posted...
krayziejoe posted...

Umm, no. Your definition is completely wrong. It isn't a rogue-like by any stretch of the imagination.

Could you stretch my imagination and enlighten me as to your definition then please? I seem to encounter the same problem with your nomination of Diablo 1. Great game, undoubtedly one of my favourites. But no perma-death makes it nothing more than a standard dungeon crawler to me.
---
Real gamers know how to play chess.
#10-5xad0w-Posted 7/26/2014 3:56:06 AM
A.D.O.M.
DoomRL
ToME
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven