This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best HDTV (not Monitor or Display) for playing a gaming PC in the living room?

#1ukemandwnbuPosted 7/26/2014 5:38:00 PM
Is there a site or list of some of the best HDTVs 1080p 120Hz LED that would be great to use as a monitor for a gaming PC? I plan on crafting an AIO PC, though mostly for gaming, and using it in my living room, so I would be looking for a TV in the 40 to 55-ish inch range, preferably.

I know, monitors/displays are crisper and clearer for picture quality and offer higher resolutions such as 1440p (16:9) and 1600p (16:10) but I'll be happy with 1080p@60fps on my games when I get to putting together a PC build eventually.

Then again, I'm lacking in knowledge on the subject of using TVs as PC monitors, whether or not 120Hz is any better than 60Hz, etc. That's why I came here to ask for your help.

Really, just some links would a great starting place for me to research on my own for now, but any tips and advice are always greatly appreciated.
#2cynicwithin2000Posted 7/26/2014 5:58:47 PM
The Sony w900a is incredible to use as a monitor and has one of the lowest input lag times available in a HDTV (around 18ms actual tested lag). I have used one and it is very difficult to notice a difference between it and my pb278q monitors. They have been discontinued though, so they may be difficult to find.

http://m.store.sony.com//55-class-54.6-diag-w900a-internet-tv-zid27-KDL55W900A/cat-27-catid-EOL-Sony-HDTVs
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS PB278Q x3 |
#3ElDudorinoPosted 7/27/2014 5:12:49 AM(edited)
I'm not up-to-date on the latest TVs but spec-wise there is something important you should know:

The ONLY spec you need to know about any HDTV is one that the manufacturers don't even advertise: Input lag. You will have to Google the specific model number for any TV you're considering to find the input lag, or go to one of those comparison sites that lists the input lag for a bunch of TVs. Googling the specific model number is a good thing to do in general to get reviews for the exact set you want.

Do NOT bother looking at Dynamic Contrast Ratio or Response Time and don't even worry about the refresh rate. "120Hz" on a TV means something very different from on a computer monitor. On a monitor, 120Hz means you can support 120FPS. On a TV, "120Hz" means that the TV can optionally take 60FPS content and add 60 extra frames of interpolation to try and make the motion seem smoother, but doing so can cause visual artifacts and WILL cause serious input lag so you would never want it for a gaming display. These TVs do include modes to turn off the frame interpolation but at that point what you have is functionally no different from a 60Hz display. The other refresh rate terms like 480Hz, 600Hz, etc. are just marketing gimmicks; there is actually no such thing as a 600Hz HDTV and even if there were it would be pointless given the media we have today.

Response Time is supposed to tell you how long a pixel takes to go from fully off to fully on and back, because that would give you an idea of how quickly an image changes without causing things like artificial motion blur, but this is useless for two reasons. First of all, basically all screens now are fast enough that blur from poor pixel response (ghosting) is a thing of the past. But secondly and much more importantly, the numbers are a lie. There is no regulation in how response time has to be measured, so one screen can say it takes 2ms and it will actually be SLOWER than another screen that says it takes 8ms because it measured it differently. It's a BS number, so just ignore it. It's not like it would matter even if it wasn't a lie.

Finally, contrast ratio. When a screen says contrast ratio, it really means Dynamic Contrast Ratio, which is a fancy way of saying "Made-up large-sounding number." Much like response time, there is zero regulation for how this spec is measured, and so the various TV manufacturers have gradually increased the scale of their misleading BS to such an extent that several eventually started claiming that their contrast ratio is infinity to one. So, you'll see a screen with 100,000 : 1, then another with 1,000,000 : 1, and then another with INFINITY : 1, and go "Oh wow, INFINITY is such a big number! I want that one!" It actually tells you nothing about the screen; it's just an imaginary number. Contrast ratio was originally devised to tell you the difference between the brightest white and the blackest black on the screen, using a grid of black and white squares, and the bigger the difference between them the more your colors would pop because black levels versus white levels are a huge factor in that. But once marketing got ahold of the number and started using various trickery to screw with it and the ratios eventually became imaginary numbers like infinity, well, there was no going back. Never trust contrast ratio.

Recap: Ignore every number they throw your way when shopping for a TV. Always research the EXACT MODEL NUMBER for the TV you want. And, the one spec that matters is Input Lag, which you'll have to find online because manufacturers won't tell you. It's a good thing they won't, too, because they'd just find a way to scam you over it if they did.
#4sfcalimariPosted 7/27/2014 5:35:30 AM(edited)
i Never had a problem using random inexpensive LG and Samsung tvs for gaming.

i have some random korean off-brand tv now (I live in korea) and it is fine for gaming. I wouldnt get too worked up about getting best of the best. When you do get a tv make sure you set it to use pc input display settings and not tv settings or it can look like crap.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#5ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 4:08:05 PM
I never realized how much Input Lag mattered compared to resolution and refresh rate. It sucks, too, that most HDTVs are only 1080p and then now they jumped past everything to be at 4K (2160p, I think?). Where's the middle ground? Where are the 2K TVs, 1440p and/or 1600p?
#6castrejon04Posted 8/1/2014 6:10:36 PM
Get nothing less than a Plasma TV.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#7Son Of SpamPosted 8/1/2014 8:12:16 PM
It comes down to what is important for you in a TV. Many gamers will tell you that low input lag is the most important aspect, or even the only thing that matters in a gaming TV. Personally, I'd sacrifice a little bit of input lag for better picture quality.
#8bkkorpsPosted 8/2/2014 4:35:52 AM
Son Of Spam posted...
It comes down to what is important for you in a TV. Many gamers will tell you that low input lag is the most important aspect, or even the only thing that matters in a gaming TV. Personally, I'd sacrifice a little bit of input lag for better picture quality.

input lag is quite important. i hooked my PS2 up to my TV, and even with game mode enabled (which reduces a lot of input lag) most of the quick time events in FFX were almost unplayable (the lightning bolt dodges were actually impossible, the only ones I could hit were if I pressed the button in anticipation).

similar thing happened at work when someone brought in their Wii for a charity Wii sports tournement. the TV at work had no game mode, and tennis was pretty much unplayable.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#9Son Of SpamPosted 8/2/2014 5:50:29 AM
I didn't say input lag was unimportant. Just that it isn't the only thing that matters. Most people would be fine with anything below 40ms.
#10Killah PriestPosted 8/2/2014 5:58:01 AM
There is not "best" display each technology has their pros and cons and work better for certain things.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.