This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best HDTV (not Monitor or Display) for playing a gaming PC in the living room?

#11xcmon3yx2Posted 8/2/2014 8:38:34 AM
castrejon04 posted...
Get nothing less than a Plasma TV.

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/xcmon3yx777, (Steam: xcmon3yx2), (XBL: HakudoshiV77360), (WoW: xcmon3yx2#1204)
#12RunFromThisGunPosted 8/2/2014 1:25:35 PM
castrejon04 posted...
Get nothing less than a Plasma TV.

It doesn't sound like TS needs a plasma. He wants the least amount of input lag, wants to primarily play games on it, and didn't mention anything about motion blur, color accuracy, viewing angles, or black levels which are the strength's of plasma.

That said, I cherish my plasma. It the last true plasma ever made, the F8500. Look at dem blacks son.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx145/IceThatJaw/photobucket-4320-1400277369738_zps2ebcc8f2.jpg
#13dementedlullabyPosted 8/2/2014 1:35:02 PM
A lot of 120hz is fake 120hz so don't bother unless you know for a fact it is indeed actually outputting at 120hz and not making up for it via some motionview+ technique that only looks good for movies/tv.

I have a 55" 3D SmartTV LG with the feature but I bought it knowing what I was buying, so not disappointed. If I was trying to get my games to actually run 120hz on it I'd be upset though. I play my PC on it sometimes, it's a really nice picture/colour. And the input lag really is not noticeable.

Without knowing your budget though it's really easy to tell you to buy something ridiculously expensive =p. Let us know what you're willing to spend.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#14rainedownPosted 8/2/2014 1:36:51 PM
I do have to say the Viera series from Panasonic has been a staple with my friends and I for gaming for almost a decade now. It hits all of the important notes and isn't too pricey either.
#15ElDudorinoPosted 8/3/2014 5:55:31 PM
rainedown posted...
I do have to say the Viera series from Panasonic has been a staple with my friends and I for gaming for almost a decade now. It hits all of the important notes and isn't too pricey either.

The "Viera" refers to all kinds of TVs from Panasonic, just like "Bravia" refers to any HDTV from Sony. Many of the best HDTVs from the last handful of years have been Panasonic Viera plasmas but there are plenty of mid-range or low-end HDTVs that also bear the Viera name.

Buying based on brand loyalty is a BIG mistake when it comes to TVs. Well, that's probably true of most brands in general. But in the case of TVs, the same brand could advertise two different displays in pretty much identical manners but one could still be far superior to the other. That's why it's a good idea to learn the -exact model number- of the TV you're considering and then look up reviews based on that.

When looking up the model number, don't forget to include the size in your search! I don't know if they still do this, but Sony used to put different parts in their 32" XBRs like the XBR9 than they did in the larger sizes, so the smaller XBR9s were actually of worse quality than the larger ones.
#16ukemandwnbu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 6:33:03 PM
Since there are no "middle ground" TVs (1440p, 1600p), and since 4K is relatively new and expensive, I think I'm left only with 1080p HDTVs.

However, what I'm wondering now is, what "type" of TV would be best for gaming? I'll list some of the types I know of, I'll even include 4K:

-1080p LCD
-1080p LED-LCD
-1080p LED
-1080p OLED Curved
-1080p Plasma
-4K (2160p) LED
-4K (2160p) LED Curved

Is it true that at around 40" is where picture quality drops for 1080p and 4K TVs? So 55" and 65" inch TVs aren't offering the best picture quality, then? I had 55" TV in my mind, but I don't know now.

Some of the brands I like are the major ones such as Samsung, LG, and Sony but I would look into others such as Vizio, Panasonic, and Sharp. Me personally, I like Samsung or LG best. I would like Sony more but they are so much more expensive for comparable TVs, I rather get more bang for my buck with the other two brands.

I don't yet have a budget on what I'd like to spend, but I wouldn't mind spending a somewhat pretty penny if it would mean a great TV that can also be used as a monitor for a (future) gaming PC. Living room is where I'd set this up, that's why I am looking for a TV. I do not plan on buying a TV/Monitor for a while, though. I'm just looking for some tips, tricks, suggestions, recommendations, and advice from you guys with this topic at the moment.

I'm still in the process of learning about PC with still much to learn, so please bare with me and forgive me for not knowing exactly what I'm trying to ask. Thank you all.
#17castrejon04Posted 8/3/2014 7:15:33 PM
ukemandwnbu posted...
Since there are no "middle ground" TVs (1440p, 1600p), and since 4K is relatively new and expensive, I think I'm left only with 1080p HDTVs.

However, what I'm wondering now is, what "type" of TV would be best for gaming? I'll list some of the types I know of, I'll even include 4K:

-1080p LCD
-1080p LED-LCD
-1080p LED
-1080p OLED Curved
-1080p Plasma
-4K (2160p) LED
-4K (2160p) LED Curved

Is it true that at around 40" is where picture quality drops for 1080p and 4K TVs? So 55" and 65" inch TVs aren't offering the best picture quality, then? I had 55" TV in my mind, but I don't know now.

Size has nothing to do with picture quality. Most smaller TVs are usually made at lower quality and sometimes at 720p in order to make them affordable to the consumer.

As for what type of TV to get, LEDs and LCDs are the same type of display so don't get confused about them. They simply use different forms of back lighting. Most gamers will usually go for that type of display, but you have to spent a lot of $$$ to get a nice dispaly with excellent picture quality and low motion blur.

OLED is a completely new type of display that just came out a few years ago. They currently offer the best picture quality on the market, but they are way to pricey and they only come in a curved form. Unless you are rich, go for it.

Plasma is pretty much dead now, but you can still get the Samsung F8500 which offers superior picture quality than any LCD-LED display in existence, has no motion blur, and low input lag ideal for gamers. They also have the best value for you $$$.

Any 4K display are simply not worth it, you really need to get a very large screen to see the difference at all and there is very little content to take advantage of it any way.

My recommendation is, if you have the $$$ to spent on a nice display get the F8500 while they are still available.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51F8500-51-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPGOD4

Just look at the previous poster picture:
http://s750.photobucket.com/user/IceThatJaw/media/photobucket-4320-1400277369738_zps2ebcc8f2.jpg.html

I personally don't have the F8500, but I do have the Panasonic ST60 which is on par to that tv.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#18SetzeraPosted 8/4/2014 2:47:07 AM(edited)
Honestly, I put the work in to finding a TV with 120Hz option, but like someone said, it's far different than 120Hz on a computer monitor. I lucked out that the 60Hz input lag was good for this one, because I admit I didn't understand these things at the time.

I never use the 120Hz feature on my TV, because the input lag becomes nauseating and obnoxious. The only time I've ever tried using it for more than few minutes was on HD movies, and though yes it makes it look smoother, I found with my TV the audio seems to even fall behind on it. Also, the human eye is rated for 60Hz.

Believe me, just find a regular HDTV with low input lag for gaming, and after a week you won't care really care as long as your computer can run games in Ultra 1080p.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#19g7g7g7g7Posted 8/4/2014 5:28:24 AM
Setzera posted...
Also, the human eye is rated for 60Hz.

SMH

The light reactive cells in the human eye operate at about 15 billion Hz, the optic nerve can transmit that data even faster. Please stop the comparison of a human eye to an electronic device, especially if you are going to downplay its specifications so badly.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#20SetzeraPosted 8/5/2014 4:29:45 AM
g7g7g7g7 posted...
Setzera posted...
Also, the human eye is rated for 60Hz.

SMH

The light reactive cells in the human eye operate at about 15 billion Hz, the optic nerve can transmit that data even faster. Please stop the comparison of a human eye to an electronic device, especially if you are going to downplay its specifications so badly.

Hmm, I guess I've been misinformed then, probably should've left that bit out.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |