This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best HDTV (not Monitor or Display) for playing a gaming PC in the living room?

#31kelemvorPosted 8/5/2014 8:16:34 PM
I've been following this topic in hopes that there is a suitable solution for gamers who want a large format display that had a resolution higher than 1080p or can accept an input higher than 60hz.

I would say 90% of people who buy TVs don't even need a tuner, they just need a display with HDMI inputs. Most people have satellite/cable boxes, where it's just another input like a PC.

I have a decent Home Theater setup with my Samsung LCD but I'm hoping when it finally dies I can get a 4K screen at 60hz or better. I would settle for 2K or 1440P, but why are they impossible to find????
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#32PsythikPosted 8/5/2014 8:23:16 PM
S***, with these prices you might as well get a projector, tc.
Here's what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBM0664/

Bright enough to be used during the day, virtually zero input lag, and it even does 3D. All for under $700.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#33castrejon04Posted 8/6/2014 3:06:57 PM
Why would anyone buy a projector for gaming?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#34AnatomyHorrorPosted 8/6/2014 7:02:18 PM
kelemvor posted...
I've been following this topic in hopes that there is a suitable solution for gamers who want a large format display that had a resolution higher than 1080p or can accept an input higher than 60hz.

I would say 90% of people who buy TVs don't even need a tuner, they just need a display with HDMI inputs. Most people have satellite/cable boxes, where it's just another input like a PC.

I have a decent Home Theater setup with my Samsung LCD but I'm hoping when it finally dies I can get a 4K screen at 60hz or better. I would settle for 2K or 1440P, but why are they impossible to find????

Looks like most 4k TV's 60"+ are trash for gaming. Sony has some 40ms input lag models, the rest that I've seen recorded are 70-100ms.
#35SampsonMPosted 8/6/2014 9:41:22 PM
castrejon04 posted...

Projectors >>> TVs for everything, basically.

Except, they aren't really practical unless you have a finished basement room or some sort of "man cave." I would never put a projector in a living room, for example, or any center area of a house that had windows and people passing through it.

I've never owned a projector, but I will have one in my theater room someday.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#36BeerOnTapPosted 8/6/2014 9:46:21 PM
I have an LG.
I love the TV for regular use and watching 3D blu rays, but gaming is horrid, as it has terrible input lag. I have reached out to them, suggesting they do an ota update to fix it by turning off more of the post-processing on its game mode, even if image quality suffers.
Let's just say I'll never buy another LG again.
I also own a 39" Samsung and it is absolutely perfect for gaming and seems to have no input lag at all
#37ElDudorinoPosted 8/7/2014 3:29:02 AM
To be fair, I've seen comparisons between various LCDs where the LGs came out on top as having the least input lag (among the displays tested). What you need to realize is that not every LG is created equal, just as not every Samsung is created equal. Buying by brand is a great way to get burned because every brand has both good and bad sets and they also all have sets that excel in a given area and sets that suffer in that same area. There are some Samsungs that are pure garbage, but it doesn't necessarily condemn every model from that brand.

As for LG not putting out a firmware update at your request, you can hardly be surprised by that. That's pretty normal. Sharp, Sony and Panasonic have all put out some screens with MUCH WORSE issues that were never addressed (banding, serious color uniformity or audio problems) and I'm sure if I looked around I could find examples of Samsung ignoring major issues in particular sets as well. Input lag barely even shows up on the radar as a customer complaint, as only a VERY small percentage of TV owners will ever talk about it.
#38SampsonMPosted 8/7/2014 12:35:34 PM(edited)
ElDudorino posted...
air, I've seen comparisons between various LCDs where the LGs came out on top as having the least input lag (among the displays tested). What you need to realize is that not every LG is created equal, just as not every Samsung is created equal. Buying by brand is a great way to get burned because every brand has both good and bad sets and they also all have sets that excel in a given area and sets that suffer in that same area. There are some Samsungs that are pure garbage, but it doesn't necessarily condemn every model from that brand.

As for LG not putting out a firmware update at your request, you can hardly be surprised by that. That's pretty normal. Sharp, Sony and Panasonic have all put out some screens with MUCH WORSE issues that were never addressed (banding, serious color uniformity or audio problems) and I'm sure if I looked around I could find examples of Samsung ignoring major issues in particular sets as well. Input lag barely even shows up on the radar as a customer complaint, as only a VERY small percentage of TV owners will ever talk about it.

Eh. Disagree. Brand is a decent quick and dirty way to judge a set's quality. The top brands are Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG. Mid-tier are Vizio and Sharp. Everything else is questionable.

All those brands offer high-, mid- and low-tier sets, but I ask you to find me a Samsung set that's on the level of some garbage TV made by like Philips or Magnavox, for example. Even the worst Samsung sets are still going to beat out the no-name garbage.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#39PsythikPosted 8/7/2014 1:15:31 PM
SampsonM posted...
I would never put a projector in a living room, for example, or any center area of a house that had windows and people passing through it.
Why not? Mine's in the living room. Unless you're buying an LED projector, most models are bright enough nowadays to be used with some light in the room. I don't even draw the blinds when I use mine.

castrejon04 posted...
Because a 120" picture combined with a high FoV is the most immersive gaming experience you can get short of VR. I'll take my projector any day over a tiny 30" monitor.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#40ElDudorinoPosted 8/8/2014 3:28:58 AM
SampsonM posted...
Eh. Disagree. Brand is a decent quick and dirty way to judge a set's quality. The top brands are Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG. Mid-tier are Vizio and Sharp. Everything else is questionable.

Mid-tier includes Sharp? Sharp was the first company to put out a TV widely considered to rival and perhaps even exceed the quality of the legendary Pioneer Kuro Elite. It took years for somebody to make another display considered on par with that one despite the forward progress of technology, and when somebody finally managed to beat the mythical superplasma they did it with an [LED-lit] LCD, and that company was Sharp. So, your "mid-tier" could very well be the best company out there.

Brand is a terrible way to judge a set's quality. If you bought one of the Sony sets with severe color uniformity or audio issues, or you bought a low-end plasma from Panasonic and found the quality to be mediocre to begin with and THEN suffered Panasonic Black Level Creep (which has affected even high-end Panasonics), you wouldn't be too pleased. You referred to Vizio as mid-tier, and I believe it's true that Vizio makes exclusively budget sets, but if you buy a low-end Samsung then you're going to end up with a not-so-great TV and you might have been better off buying the comparable Vizio.

There are enough examples of really bad TVs from big brands or good TVs from small brands that it would be foolish to use brand as a serious consideration when buying one. Hell, LG was considered a budget brand for TV not so long ago, were they not? Look at them now.