This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best HDTV (not Monitor or Display) for playing a gaming PC in the living room?

#41ElDudorinoPosted 8/8/2014 3:45:24 AM
My last monitor was a Samsung (T240) and it's the worst widescreen monitor I've ever had the misfortune of using. Worse than my old Acer. Color accuracy wasn't on point for a monitor, black levels were garbage and viewing angle was extremely bad (it was an LCD, but still), the buttons were no good (instead of tactile buttons it had a painted-on touch-sensitive power button except the paint wore off after a few months so I just had to smear my hand all over the bezel until it turned on), the stand was crap and didn't even allow it to swivel properly which also contributed to the viewing angle issues since I couldn't face it directly towards me... it was just an all-around bad monitor and worse than my previous, smaller Acer monitor. Nobody is going to call "Acer" a top brand but in this case it beat out Samsung and for less money as well.

If you review a model beforehand you won't fall into that trap but if you buy based on brand loyalty, well...
#42SampsonMPosted 8/8/2014 7:00:46 AM
Mid-tier includes Sharp?

According to Consumer Reports they are. I never see Sharps listed in top 10 picture quality rankings -- CNet actually puts some Vizios ahead of them. And I know two people with high-end Sharp Aquos -- the colors are terrible.

It took years for somebody to make another display considered on par with that one despite the forward progress of technology, and when somebody finally managed to beat the mythical superplasma they did it with an [LED-lit] LCD, and that company was Sharp.

No idea what you're talking about. The first company to beat the Kuro was Pansonic with its 2012 and 2013 high-end plasmas. Those have been subsequently superseded by Samsung OLEDs. But I have yet to hear of this mythical Sharp super LED set. Which television model are you talking about?

There are enough examples of really bad TVs from big brands or good TVs from small brands that it would be foolish to use brand as a serious consideration when buying one. Hell, LG was considered a budget brand for TV not so long ago, were they not? Look at them now.

I said it was a good quick and dirty measure. I never said judging TVs by brand was perfect -- and it's certainly not. But for the layperson, I tell them to pick one of the top four brands and then aim to spend an appropriate amount for the screen size they want (ie, 32-inch $350, 40-50 inch $500-1000, 50inch+ $1000-$3000+).
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#43The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 7:39:14 AM
I've got one of the 2012 Panasonic plasmas. There's a few things seriously annoying about it. The image retention is ridiculous; when I watched Captain America: The First Avenger on Blu-Ray, it opened with white text in the middle of a solid color background. Then the first scene, which was primarily dim gray being set during a snowstorm in Norway at night, a "shadow" of the text was visible and clear throughout the entire scene! It wasn't permanent, and wasn't noticeable after that scene. Worse, after playing Dark Souls for about 90 hours last January, the outline of its HUD remains visible to this day, and I'm not sure it isn't permanently burned in. It also has these annoying "line" artifacts that sometimes manifest. Take a movie that has ending credits, scrolling upwards, with a background that is dark but not black. There will appear to be horizontal line ripples, spanning the entire width of the screen, scrolling upwards along with the credits. It can also happen in text-heavy games, or with certain patterns in using Windows.

I also feel like it's not as sharp as it could be. I can easily tell 720p from 1080p on my 24" LCD screen. It's not so easy for me to tell them apart on the plasma.

The colors on the plasma are very nice, and the 3D effect is pretty good, though it does require seriously boosting the brightness in order to not make everything way too dark (and also to negate crosstalk, which can otherwise be quite nasty). But I'm not sure if I would have gotten the plasma if I had known these faults were going to be like this. I knew about IR, but everyone assured me it's temporary and goes away relatively quickly.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#44SampsonMPosted 8/8/2014 8:20:38 AM
I also feel like it's not as sharp as it could be. I can easily tell 720p from 1080p on my 24" LCD screen. It's not so easy for me to tell them apart on the plasma.

That depends on the size of the screen and how far you sit from it, rather than the actual quality of the set.

I have two Panny plasmas. One is 42-inches, the other 65-inches. I sit about 10-feet away from both. With the larger screen, low-resolution stuff is far more noticable. Indeed, on the 65-inch set, SD content is literally unwatchable. On the 42-inch set, it looks bad, but is tolerable.

You probably sit 10 feet away from your plasma, and 1 foot away from your monitor. So the obvious difference is resolution is obvious. This is where that argument that "under 40-inches, 720p/1080p doesn't matter" comes from.
---
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.
#45The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 8:37:46 AM
There's a huge difference between "SD content" and "HD content," even on my Panny at 10 feet away, but that has a lot more to do with bitrate and other video codec specs than it does with resolution. Blu-Ray snapshots scaled down to 853x480 still look way better than DVD snapshots at the same resolution, for instance.

I am talking more about playing Dark Souls at native res vs. modding it for 1080p. The difference is subtle at best, even sitting close to the TV. The difference is very clear on my 24" LCD screen.
---
#46SampsonMPosted 8/8/2014 9:17:36 AM
Sorry, but I still don't think you're making a fair comparison. A relatively tiny PC monitor cannot be adequately compared to a much larger television.
---
#47ElDudorinoPosted 8/8/2014 10:45:11 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
o idea what you're talking about. The first company to beat the Kuro was Pansonic with its 2012 and 2013 high-end plasmas. Those have been subsequently superseded by Samsung OLEDs. But I have yet to hear of this mythical Sharp super LED set. Which television model are you talking about?

The Sharp PRO-X5FD, which came out in 2011, before the Panasonic TC-PVT50. The Sharp has better blacks than the Panasonic in this case.

SampsonM posted...
According to Consumer Reports they are. I never see Sharps listed in top 10 picture quality rankings -- CNet actually puts some Vizios ahead of them.

CNet also puts those same Vizios ahead of Panasonic and LG, but you said that Vizio is a lower-end brand than them, too. And this is exactly what I'm talking about; somebody who wants "high-end" and shops by brand is going to overlook those Vizios in favor of an LG or Panasonic that may end up being a worse buy.

If somebody just plain doesn't care what they're buying as long as it's the right size, that's on them, but if they're going to bother paying attention to what they buy then they might as well do it right and look up the model number without judging based on brand.
#48The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 10:35:23 AM
24" isn't "relatively tiny" for a PC monitor. And if anything, the smaller size should work against the monitor's favor.

Besides that, I think you are placing too much importance on the monitor. Regardless of the monitor, the fact remains that 1080p doesn't look much better than 720p on my TV, and therefore it seems reasonable to say that I am not getting the full benefit of the TV's resolution. All the monitor demonstrates is that distinguishing them is possible, or that it's not just my bad eye sight.
---
#49Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 10:39:44 AM
on my panasonic vt25 1080p vs 720p is like night and day, so obvious.

otherwise my experience with panny plasma is near identical to hermit.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#50The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 10:44:31 AM
Ok, but what are you comparing? If it's video, then you also have to consider the bitrate, the compression, and the source; a 720p rip from TV broadcast for instance will not look as good as a 1080p Blu-Ray, even on a 720p screen. If it's more like playing a computer game at 1920x1080 and then switching it to 1280x720, then you have a 1:1 comparison.
---