This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best HDTV (not Monitor or Display) for playing a gaming PC in the living room?

#51ElDudorinoPosted 8/8/2014 10:49:13 AM
Killah Priest: Don't forget that you're never JUST comparing 1080p to 720p if you're outside of a laboratory. If you compare a 1080p TV to a 720p TV then you're comparing a TV with high-end parts and tech to a TV with low-end parts and tech. If you take a 1080p screen and display a 720p image on it then it needs to be upscaled and usually various filters and so forth will be applied to the upscaled image to compensate. So, there's a lot more to the equation than just-plain resolution. In theory, a game which is locked at 720p would actually look better on a 720p display, but in practice that often isn't the case because the 720p TV will be lower-end than a 1080p one.
#52The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 10:58:25 AM
In theory, a game which is locked at 720p would actually look better on a 720p display

This is a dumb theory. TVs have upscalers. It wouldn't look *better* on a 1080p TV, but the only way it would look worse is if the 1080p TV had a crap upscaler. Which is unfortunately common, making this dumb theory's prediction come true more often than it should be, albeit not for the assumed reason.

But with good upscaling, which is always possible on PCs thanks to GPU upscaling, locked 720p games needn't lose any image quality on a display no matter how big the resolution is.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#53Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 10:59:33 AM
I find it most obvious when I load a pc game and it defaults to 720p, looks like someone smeared Vaseline on my screen vs crisp and clear 1080p
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#54The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 11:02:56 AM
I see. Are you using GPU upscaling, by any chance? I wouldn't say 720p looks *bad* on my Panny. 1080p just fails to be all that much better.
---
#55Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 11:11:45 AM
no gpu scaling.

I'm one of those different folks that prefers a sharp picture with potential artifacts vs a soft picture with none so that could be why I feel a bit different about it.
---
#56The cranky hermitPosted 8/8/2014 11:51:26 AM(edited)
I sort of agree. My preference is a balance, but I'll always err in favor of "sharp picture." That is, I will never desire artifact removal at the expense of fine detail.

So for instance, if I play old low-res games, I'll use basic interpolation filters to blur some of the artifacts, but never any of those fancy filters that create fake detail while actually compromising original fine detail.

Though actually, in some cases filters are needed to achieve the intended look. A lot of Genesis games actually used artifacts on purpose, knowing that on composite cables they'd be blurred together, creating colors that the Genesis's RGB palette isn't capable of. Unfortunately, genuine composite cables screw with the color palette anyway, so you get colors that are solid but wrong. And RGB cables display artifacts, exactly as they're being rendered. So the only way to achieve the intended look is to render in RGB via emulation, but apply fairly heavy blur filters. A number of old PC games (really old, as in CGA graphics) do this too. Sierra used this effect well into the late 80's with EGA.

I guess there's another way I can describe 1080p on my Panny. I can turn AA off, and I have to look REALLY hard to see jaggies. On my 24" LCD I don't have to look that hard at all.

That said, you might be shooting yourself in the foot by not using GPU scaling. This defers the scaling to your TV, and it's possible that the old Panny's internal scaling sucks ass, while the newer one's is better. "Smeared with Vaseline" doesn't sound like it suits your preference, TBQH.
---
#57Killah PriestPosted 8/8/2014 11:55:52 AM
Next time I fire up a game on the plasma I'll see if gpu scaling makes a difference or not.
---