This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Urgent help needed. Admin Privileges on windows 7

#1brantankPosted 7/26/2014 9:00:30 PM
Back story
Okay, so my mother worked as this job a few years ago. The company went under, and long story short, the employes kept whatever they used as former work equipment. My mother got to keep her laptop. So my mom takes good care of the laptop, since things are really tight, she couldn't get her "own", even though this was now her own.

Problem
So now, since most people in my family uses the laptop, my brother got a virus on it. Now I know simple virus removal programs, no problems there. So I went to download and install one, and to my surprise I needed the admin password. I tried calling the old tech guy, but he has long moved away. I have the laptop, and an account on it myself, so I just need to know how to get the admin password. Please help me, as our family is now only using my little laptop :(
#2Blobs_Posted 7/26/2014 9:03:16 PM
I don't think there's any way to get the admin password other than some sort of recovery disk that you made beforehand, educated guessing, or just brute-force-ing it. I don't know much about windows and security and whatnot though, so I could be wrong.
---
is haha
#3DawnshadowPosted 7/26/2014 9:14:30 PM
Check your PMs, Bran. :)
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#4ivanwind15Posted 7/26/2014 9:27:06 PM
There's no way to get the password. If such a backdoor existed, it'd be a huge security flaw.

What you can do, however, is use a Linux live CD to clean the disk. Linux will ignore the Windows file permissions, allowing any virus scanner to work.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#5k debonairPosted 7/26/2014 9:44:30 PM
ophcrack livecd
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

you can thank me later
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.