This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will putting a BD burner's in new build's become the standard you think ?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will putting a BD burner's in new build's become the standard you think ?
1 year ago#11
Dark Elf posted...
Nope. With flash memory and high speed Internet connections, no one really cares about optical media anymore.

Which is a shame because digital movies and TV shows still can't match the audio quality of a BD.

To answer the TC's question: I put a BD reader in my build so that I can rip BD to my NAS. I don't really have a reason to own a burner as I don't see myself ever burning a BD when I own a NAS.
1 year ago#12
Never. The need for them is too limited. CD burners are relics from 15 years ago when cd's were still the best way to move & store data. The internet didn't have the infrastructure & transfer speeds it does now.

Burners will always have their uses as a means to backup data externally. But there's not much point in bluray burners unless you need to backup large amounts of data in one place. For most usage it's unnecessary. You can fit plenty of data on regular cd's, including hd quality video.
1 year ago#13
Never. Inexpensive HDDs, digital media and access to decent internet speeds seem to have made them unnecessary for most people.
1 year ago#14
I bought one 5 years ago now... I've burned all of 3 blurays. Great for emulation backups and maybe the odd show but these days its just easier to buy a new hdd enclosure and keep that put aside.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
1 year ago#15
I've got a Blu-Ray Burner and I've burned a few discs, mostly of various media files that I don't want to lose, but also don't want to keep on the HD 24/7... But no, I don't think they'll be a standard for anyone. The main reason I bought it is because I still have several games on disc that I'd like to be able to install when I feel like it, and for backups.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
1 year ago#16
__starsnostars posted...
We're moving away from optical drives all together, bd burners will never become the standard.

---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
1 year ago#17
They're pretty cheap now at around $60 for a decent one. In terms of necessity, I don't see it being useful though. We're moving away from optical media in general and for simple optical storage DVDs are still plenty fine. You can install Windows from a usb drive easily now. About the only reason I can see for keeping one around is motherboard first time driver installation. Some motherboards are now coming with the drivers on small usb flash drives, but most still include a disk that you kind of need to use to get the basic drivers (such as the nic) in place to make it usable.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
1 year ago#18
I have a 12x BD-ROM drive in my PC IMO thery should start releasing PC games on blu-ray discs because the last few games i bought have been on at least 4 DVD discs. I don't need a burner because i have a 500GB USB portable external HDD. I can't remember the last time i ever burned anything onto a disc TBH
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
1 year ago#19
unclee posted...
Dark Elf posted...
Nope. With flash memory and high speed Internet connections, no one really cares about optical media anymore.

Which is a shame because digital movies and TV shows still can't match the audio quality of a BD.

What lol? You can watch youtube videos in 4k.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
1 year ago#20
I doubt it, not unless the price of BD burners becomes equal to DVD drives before they ODDs stop being 'normal' all together.

Another issue may be playback software since Windows doesn't support BDs not even a paid addon and Cyberlink at least can be dodgy with support who usually get bundled with things (personal experience).

Clouddx posted...
unclee posted...
Dark Elf posted...

What lol? You can watch youtube videos in 4k.

It depends on the source, I've seen some streamed "HD" video which looks worse than some BDs I've seen.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will putting a BD burner's in new build's become the standard you think ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived