This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best way to clean a TV or monitor screen?

#1Pal 080Posted 7/27/2014 8:41:46 AM
So I use a "silk-weave micro-filament cleaning cloth" to clear the dust off my screens... yea it's a mouth full I know, it's a cloth for cleaning brass instruments but it's perfect for screens since it's so fine and soft.

Anyways... it works for dust but I get the occasional smudge, presumably from fingerprints, and it doesn't work very well at removing that kind of greasy stuff. Any particular products or home remedies you can recommend for cleaning it up? Would I just use that blue cleaning solution you see around, or is there anything that's better than that?
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#2StopthinkPosted 7/27/2014 8:42:37 AM
distilled water
#3Pal 080(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 8:46:26 AM
K, thank you, just read something that also suggested that so I'm inclined to take your advice.

Would filtered water be sufficient I wonder, or do I really need to get properly distilled water... which I'd rather not buy, as I don't even know where I'd find any.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#4chaos_belmontPosted 7/27/2014 8:47:00 AM
Hammer.
Hulk SMASH!!!!.
Pencil.
Broken condom.
Car.
Two-handed sword.
Grass.
Broom.
Another tv or monitor screen.

Thank you.
---
Sorcerer, king of dark intentions, pro skiller, sensual pleasures pirate, constant hankering for honey, sprinkly toes thrillseeker extraordinaire.
#5Pal 080(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2014 8:48:03 AM
I do have some condoms around but I'm not sure the lube would be good for the screen... thanks though... no really...
---
#6KharilllePosted 7/27/2014 8:50:17 AM
I buy the usual screen cleaner. They say you only want to moisten the cloth. I'm sure isopropyl 99% will work but the standard solution is some water based substance with what sounds like soap and maybe some salts.

I don't know, need to clean my monitor now and then especially after I sneeze all over it....
#7chaos_belmontPosted 7/27/2014 8:56:43 AM
I youst went to my local Electronic store and asked for something to clean my screen and they gave me : "HAMA computer for tft/lcd laptop", also some cloth that came with it.

It removes EVERYTHING, basically in the last two or so years it has worked perfectly.

Would highly recommend it.
---
Sorcerer, king of dark intentions, pro skiller, sensual pleasures pirate, constant hankering for honey, sprinkly toes thrillseeker extraordinaire.
#8castrejon04Posted 7/27/2014 3:04:27 PM
I use a lint free cloth and dry clean whenever I can. I use water when needed. Never use chemicals on your screen. I did it with rubbing alcohol one time and it almost ruined the screen on my lcd monitor.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#9PsythikPosted 7/27/2014 3:15:12 PM
I use windex or rubbing alcohol (whichever is available). Never had any problems despite what people say.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#10Bane766Posted 7/27/2014 3:17:20 PM
You shouldn't need anything more than water and a soft cloth. Chemicals are bad on most screens (including your TV!), just a fyi.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort