This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Challenging RPG with a massive open world and engaging combat?

#11VdashonePosted 7/27/2014 10:37:31 AM
Sexy_L4DY posted...
Gothic 1-3

Old but match everything you're after minus engaging combat

Gothic is the ****. Golden era tier.

Also, get Morrowind. Play it. Love it. Or go back to Skyrim.
---
I occasionally indulge in moderation.
#12SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/27/2014 10:42:48 AM(edited)
"Engaging combat" is really vague. Different people are engaged by different things. Most of what people are going to recommend play similarly to an RTS, or are turn-based FYI. Don't know if you'd consider that engaging or not, seeing as you've mostly only played really action based ones.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#13SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/27/2014 10:41:35 AM
Vdashone posted...
Sexy_L4DY posted...
Gothic 1-3

Did you even read the OP?

I'm willing to bet he won't like Morrowind's combat.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#14Sexy_L4DYPosted 7/27/2014 10:45:13 AM
Yes Gothic is fantastic.

Also you could try Divinity 2, I absolutely love that game. I find it highly underrated.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/
---
http://i.imgur.com/yKUD2k6.gif
Leader and member of the Eva Marines fan club! Current members: 14
#15VdashonePosted 7/27/2014 10:48:39 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Vdashone posted...
Sexy_L4DY posted...
Gothic 1-3

It doesn't matter what he likes. Morrowind is an absolutely flawless shining jewel of consummate perfection we are all unfit to behold. I made sure to include the 'Go back to Skyrim' note if he feels his mortal eyes being burned out of their sockets by its glorious luminescence.

Say, fancy a trip back to Whiterun?
---
I occasionally indulge in moderation.
#16Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 9:06:11 AM(edited)
"Engaging combat" is really vague. Different people are engaged by different things. Most of what people are going to recommend play similarly to an RTS, or are turn-based FYI. Don't know if you'd consider that engaging or not, seeing as you've mostly only played really action based ones.

I meant a game that keeps you thinking, requires you to plan out how you take enemies on. Dodge, block and time attacks. I enjoy RTS games. Turn based..not so much. It kinda depends, most of the time not really. The only turn based games I've played and enjoyed were Xcom and Ni No Kuni (PS3 exclusive). Because they required you to do a lot more thinking in combat other than just selecting attacks that your target is weak to
#17Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 9:07:42 AM
Vdashone posted...
Vdashone posted...
Sexy_L4DY posted...
Gothic 1-3

It doesn't matter what he likes. Morrowind is an absolutely flawless shining jewel of consummate perfection we are all unfit to behold. I made sure to include the 'Go back to Skyrim' note if he feels his mortal eyes being burned out of their sockets by its glorious luminescence.

Say, fancy a trip back to Whiterun?

If combat hardly changed from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim, then hes right. I wont like it.
#18SinisterSlayPosted 7/28/2014 9:08:45 AM
I can't think of any open world games with good combat because they mostly get dumbed down for consoles.
Maybe Daggerfall?
Maybe one day we will get Mount & Blade Warband combat in an open world.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19Bane766Posted 7/28/2014 9:09:06 AM
Morrowind's combat is much harder than Skyrim's...but it's still the same basic thing.

Also NNK is barely turnbased. It has much more action than your typical tb game.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#20Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2014 9:16:52 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...
I think you would love Dragons Dogma...

If only Capcom was smart and ported it to PC : (

I forgot to say Dragons Dogma. Well, no I didnt. I've played Dragons Dogma a lot. But this is the PC board, wasnt really expecting anyone to suggest it. :P The only thing I hate about that game is no multiplayer. But have us rely on semi useful pawns. There are quite a lot of combos two people could pull off that would be overkill. Like Mystic Knight making a great cannon with a flame enchanted sword, then the great cannon will become a fire great cannon. Then my sorcerer pawn casted a poison mist thing that damages enemies in it right around the cannon and the cannon kept shooting out flame balls. But I cant get her to do it and she doesnt develop any knowledge towards it. Like if she sees the great cannon, she wont go and hit it or cast a spell like that. An enemy was just near my cannon when she casted the spell. I also hate how the lightweight classes dont get an evade command. Or fighter doesnt get any evade. Or MK doesnt get a backstep thing to jump back. Warrior cant block blows with his massive thick greatsword, that I'm sure could defend well against swords. I was also disappointed MK couldnt run a staff and sword at the same time. I can switch them out on the fly though, and still have skills for staff and sword up. I hate that sorcerer has no healing spells. I do enjoy the game though.