This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Challenging RPG with a massive open world and engaging combat?

#31clowningPosted 7/28/2014 12:02:52 PM
Mount and Blade. That is the only RPG that is challenging, has a fairly large open world, and has engaging combat.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#32ClashtonnPosted 7/28/2014 12:04:32 PM
Well, I wouldn't recommend Skyrim for this anyway, but Skyrim with the Duelist mod has GREAT combat.

But, go with Divinity OS.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#33foodeater4Posted 7/28/2014 12:10:38 PM
Dragons Dogma doesn't cut it either cause its not challenging after you level up a few levels.
#34VdashonePosted 7/28/2014 12:16:00 PM
Critcal50 posted...
If combat hardly changed from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim, then hes right. I wont like it.

It got significantly worse in each of the following installments, much like everything else about the series did. Including the people that end up playing it. I'm not naming any names here, because Morrowind fans are the only people that deserve to have names. You know who you are. At least, you think you do.
---
I occasionally indulge in moderation.
#35NeninaPosted 7/28/2014 12:45:49 PM
You want different, then how about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyle or the the newest Stalker Clear Sky. They're challenging. They're open world, but I don't know what you consider big enough to be massive. Oh, and they're moddable and already have lots of mods and overhauls.
#36wentzelotPosted 7/28/2014 12:49:16 PM
witcher 3
#37Matty_EINZPosted 7/29/2014 4:04:03 AM
Critcal50 posted...
I meant a game that keeps you thinking, requires you to plan out how you take enemies on. Dodge, block and time attacks.

While late to the thread, and this suggestion goes outside the pc category, monster hunter seems to have what you're looking for in terms of combat. The controls take a little getting used to, but I honestly believe they're very fine tuned and set up the way they are for a reason. Game can be a bit repetitive but I feel the combat itself is more or less the main draw of the series.
---
3DS friend code: 1048-8489-2941
Friend Safari: (Water) panpour, wartortle, frogadier
#38Critcal50(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 8:59:48 AM
Matty_EINZ posted...
Critcal50 posted...
I meant a game that keeps you thinking, requires you to plan out how you take enemies on. Dodge, block and time attacks.

While late to the thread, and this suggestion goes outside the pc category, monster hunter seems to have what you're looking for in terms of combat. The controls take a little getting used to, but I honestly believe they're very fine tuned and set up the way they are for a reason. Game can be a bit repetitive but I feel the combat itself is more or less the main draw of the series.

Yeah I had Monster Huntsr 3 Ultimate on my 3DS..I didnt like the game much to be honest because I had Qurupeco armor unupgraded and was fighting the stronger monsters like Uragaan Rathalos Lagiacrus etc. I barely took damage. In Monster Hunter Tri I would taje a lot more wearing that armor. It just made the game feel so easy. And on Tri I also put 1000 hours in, so thats probably another reason why I got bored :P
#39blax34dmPosted 7/29/2014 9:26:43 AM
SuigintouEV posted...
I can't think of any PC games. Actually, I think sandbox games and quality are fundamentally opposed concepts. Games with good combat are inherently tighter and more structured because of how the budget gets used. The only games I can think of that even remotely blend good combat with open worlds are console games like Shadow of the Collosus, Ys: Memories of Celceta, and Okami HD - but they're all inherently structured experiences IMO.

....your best bet is probably Baldur's Gate 1.

How can you qualify SotC as good combat? It doesn't even have real combat?
#40SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/29/2014 9:45:51 AM(edited)
Vdashone posted...
Critcal50 posted...
If combat hardly changed from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim, then hes right. I wont like it.

It got significantly worse in each of the following installments, much like everything else about the series did. Including the people that end up playing it. I'm not naming any names here, because Morrowind fans are the only people that deserve to have names. You know who you are. At least, you think you do.

Morrowind was my first and still is my favorite TES, and sorry, but combat only got better with Oblivion and Skyrim.

The series has simply always had terrible, terrible combat.

TC, please do not play Morrowind based on a its combat. Aside from my opinion on the overall quality of it, I can tell from your post it's absolutely not the kind of combat you are looking for. It's random to-hit dice rolls in melee in a first-person action style, I guarantee you will be dissatisfied with it. Play it for its environments, exploration and crafting elements. That's where it shines and why it's considered a classic.

Vdashone, you are doing the game and TC disservice by recommending it to someone based on that specifically because of the parameters of his request, regardless of your preferences, you should know better.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}